Chili's Reviews

Reset

1. Good Culture

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Chili's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Despite some belief, the company treats their employees well. Can be a fun atmosphere, too.

Cons

Cut jobs over the years causing more and more work for servers for the same pay rate. Low base pay - tipped minimum wage.

2. Great coworkers and managers, but it was horribly understaffed and there was no money to be made.

Former Employee - Server in Humble, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Humble, TX

I worked at Chili's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hired me on the spot, awesome coworkers and management, comfortable uniforms, decent training program, flexible hours especially since you were allowed to pay other servers to cover your shift, good food for the price. I'm sure this would be a great server job at a good location.

Cons

Horribly understaffed, which causes everyone to become overwhelmed. No bussers which meant that servers and hosts were required to bus tables ourselves, which made an already stressful job even harder, and it was impossible to keep the restaurant clean. Customers at this location were terrible; I rarely made more than $60 per night, and I had multiple tables walk out on their tabs in the 3 months that I was there. There were no breaks unless you were working a double, but that's the case with most restaurants. Also, the restaurant's dish washing equipment did not work well and dishes often came back dirty.

Advice to Management

Hire bussers! Most servers would gladly tip out an extra $10 at the end of the night in favor of clean tables. I know this is up to management at a hire level than the restaurants themselves, but seriously, it would be a lifesaver.

3. manaager

Former Employee - Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Chili's full-time

Pros

Good company to work for. they put employees first

Cons

like every job you got get dirty

5. Incompetent Management

Former Employee - Server in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Server in Wayne, PA

I worked at Chili's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The menu changes slightly every season, making it harder for servers to become bored with their workplace. I never participated in their healthcare plan, but from what I read (I was offered enrollment) there are definitely some good/competitive healthcare benefits. Coworkers at my location (Wayne, PA) were by far the best part of the job. Even after leaving, I still keep in touch with almost all of them.

Cons

Perhaps it was just the location in particular, but management was extremely poor. The turnover rate for managers was high, and as a server it definitely kept you on your toes -- and not in a good way. Some of the managers developed negative attitudes towards working there (the second they started their shift you could tell they did not want to be there) and were insanely incompetent; many of them did not understand the idea of leaving their personal life behind prior to coming into work and displayed clear favoritism towards particular employees. I experienced several instances of sexual harassment on part of the kitchen staff, and even after bringing it up to a manager, said manager did nothing to remedy the situation or even attempt to inform the GM (I did not feel comfortable discussing the situation personally with the GM). From what I understand now after speaking to former coworkers at the location, it appears that management is being cleaned up by the regional director (who, by the way, is actually fantastic at his job and probably the only superior I miss), so hopefully things will improve in the future.

Advice to Management

Learn how to give clear direction and provide equal expectations (regardless of favoritism and/or personal relationships) to ALL employees. Take your job more seriously, and understand that subordinates will learn from your example. If you display a poor work ethic, you can expect your staff to lack any respect for you and your position, and the restaurant will continue to function in absolute chaos. Most importantly, never -- NEVER -- trash talk subordinates in front of other subordinates. It breeds distrust among employees and an uncomfortable working environment. Every manager at this location during my time there was guilty of such trash talk. It is highly unprofessional, notwithstanding immature.

6. Decent

I have been working at Chili's part-time

Pros

Company treats its employees like people

Cons

its the restaurant business and customers can get upset real fast

7. Meh..

Pros

Big corporation can pay big checks

Cons

Stressful, corporate always changing concepts and menu every quarter, cooks/servers/managers become weary of constant change

Advice to Management

Go back to good old Chilis everyone loved. Quit putting fad food items on the menu, and stick to th classics. This goes for pretty much everything, not just food

8. Hostess w/ the Mostest

Current Employee - Host/Hostess in McKinney, TX
    Current Employee - Host/Hostess in McKinney, TX

I have been working at Chili's full-time

Pros

+Meeting new people +Trying new foods whenever we got new menus +Discounts +Making great friends who treat you like family +I worked at a testing location so we were always the first to have the new menus and technology. +you can 'move up' to other jobs like ToGo, QA,Server, etc +If your location has the NoWait system your job is 10 times easier because it takes care of rotation for you,it has a built in waiting list, as well as tell you what tables are clean/dirty/occupied,. Chilis was founded in Dallas in 1975 so if you work at a Dallas location its pretty important that you are always on your best behavior because 'Brinkers' (the people who own Chili;s now) are always secretly checking in on you.

Cons

+Sometimes it can be a little hectic depending on your location +A lot of the workers like to date and sometimes it gets a little messy. +You might have to work on holidays

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. There are always at least three managers around ready to help you whenever needed. And whenever we have a guest manager they instantly become part of the family and are ready to get to work. Honestly a great franchise to be apart of.

9. Server

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Arroyo Grande, CA
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Arroyo Grande, CA

I worked at Chili's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good management team that adapts quickly to change. Very high energy work environment which makes time go by quickly. You are given the opportunity to make good money if you work hard.

Cons

Frequent menu changes that sometimes upset the customers. The amount of side work varies, but at times can be very time consuming (close to an hour)

Advice to Management

Keep helping employees during rush period.

10. Great place to work if you have no life.

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Chili's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The hours are great! It's really easy to procure regulars and to make easy and quick money. I avatar about 19.56 an hour.

Cons

They call you in all the time! Breaks ate a thing of the past. You must be very self sufficient to be able to thrive in this restaurant.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your employees. Ask questions and always be available to help, whether we ask for it or not. Just don't expect us to be completely self sufficient.

11. Chili's Might Seem Fun... This is an ILLUSION

Current Employee - Server in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Tampa, FL

Pros

Flexible scheduling. That's probably about it honestly. Go work at another chain restaurant, I promise you.

Cons

Tons of side work. You will probably spend about an hour and a half after you're cut just completing it. The majority of the people who eat here do so because it's cheap, and they tip accordingly.

Advice to Management

Get more sleep! You guys are seriously worked to death and it definitely affects your attitude towards your employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed