Chili's

Updated January 26, 2015
3.3

Chili's President Wyman Roberts
Wyman Roberts

Pros
  • Great management, flexible schedule with good support from managers (in 47 reviews)

• Scheduling is flexible and you have the potential to earn good money (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, loosing too many of company's biggest fans over the last few years (in 21 reviews)

• ZERO quality of life for managers and key hourly (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Hosting at Chilis

Former Employee - Hostess
    Former Employee - Hostess

I worked at Chili's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Manangers were nice and attentive, Staff was like a family, Half priced food and also half priced food at Maggianos and other Chili's location with Employee Card.

Cons

Long hours, no breaks. No time to eat, and weekly GEM scores were extremely annoying.

Spend less time on perfecting GEM Scores and listen to your employees. The problem isn't always the server and is sometimes the customers.

Chili's, Paris Tx

Current Employee - Several Positions in Paris, TX
    Current Employee - Several Positions in Paris, TX

I have been working at Chili's

Pros

It's transferable, pretty easy to get transfers to other locations.

Cons

No appreciation from management, won't work with school or other job schedules, no breaks.

It's not the GM's place to tell us, "You don't need to work a second job, you make enough here to get what you need people need to stop trying to get stuff they don't need, I have never worked a second job" or "You have to put chilis before school because this is your priority we will not work around other schedules." Shouldn't they want us to do better for ourselves? I put in 30-40 hours and several times working open to close with no breaks and I still don't make enough. It's not bad enough you change the schedule without acknowledging anyone and have the nerve to get angry when they show up or don't show up according to the originaly posted schedule. You shouldn't say you can't work around someone's schedule for certain times when I clearly see you scheduling other employees at that time that I requested. You shouldn't have to worry about making the GM angry and having her say things just to hurt your feelings because she's mad,or throwing things and cursing because she's having a bad day. When I speak to the manager that does the schedules, in plenty of time, about working around another training schedule for a couple of weeks you shouldn't yell at me and tell me why do I go to another manager when you are the GM but when I have a work related problem you tell me to go to another manager. I have dedicated 2 years to Chili's and I love everyone I work with, I have never been trouble, never called in and always pick up extra shifts. When the new manager came I actually thought, "finally someone who cares that will get this place together." She said there will be no favoritism, there still is, she talks about other employees behind their back to other employees, completely unprofessional. They have absolutely No appreciation for the people that come to work to work.

not the same any more

I have been working at Chili's

Pros

Norman would be so displeased

Cons

new leadership not connected to people

Find a better restaurant to work for.

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Denham Springs, LA
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Denham Springs, LA

I worked at Chili's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Money is good if you can get a good zone.
    Server staff friendly.
    Lots of regulars that will come in multiple days in a row.

Cons

Long hours, there was many times "doubles" became straights with us having to work off the clock.
    Managers at my location were unprofessional and cared more about GEM to the point of making the servers look bad if it meant they could bring the GEM down.
    If your GEM score is too high, your hours get cut and/or you get suspended/fired.

Stop caring so much about GEM. I understand making sure your customers are happy, but to the point of crapping on your employees is never good.

Terrible policy.

I have been working at Chili's

Pros

None at all, very degrading.

Cons

Everything. Manipulative management, horrible. Bad

worst place ever

Former Employee - Hostess in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Hostess in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Chili's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

free food if you worked a double shift
    50% off all chili's and maggiano's restaurants
    certain discounts on products such as consoles, cars, etc.

Cons

I had 4 managers that never seemed to communicate with each other and each wanted different things from us. i was a host, so I was the first to deal with customers and had direct communication with the managers via headset. One manager never had hers on so I always had to run to the back to find her, leaving the door unattended thus getting yelled at by impatient guests. No tip out system although the hosts were also bussers. They got rid of bussers so it's up to the servers to clean their stations but most of the time they didn't. We were a very high volume store, yet we were severly understaffed. I worked 6 day weeks usually 9 hours a day. One manager yelled at me for staying overtime even though the other manager didn't give me a break and asked me to stay later. Goes to show how well everyone communicated. Just overall an awful experience, and I left crying many nights. Also, on a busy Friday night I had an awful server who couldn't handle more than 3 tables at a time and cursed me out in front of all our guests yet the manager that night did not do anything to handle the situation because they were in a sexual relationship. Worst place I've ever worked at and would not recommend to anyone.

You all preach communication yet when it comes down to it, no one cares and seems to do things their own way. Train your staff better, and don't keep a high volume store so understaffed that you overwork the workers you do have, and then yell at them for working too much.

Challenging

I worked at Chili's

Pros

Flexible schedule for an AD, good interaction with owners and upper management. Large inputand all daily operations.

Cons

Owner struggle Pay bills on time to vendors and services. Owners understand what needs to be done but does not seem to want to reinvest profits to maximize operations

Good company to work for overall outside some minor concerns.

average company

I have been working at Chili's

Pros

working with the staff - good people for the most part
    easy to schedule days off

Cons

Long hours
    Bonuses are not very large unless you work at a very busy store
    missed lots of weddings and family functions due to other managers being off.

Regional Director comes in and what he sees is how he thinks you run your shifts all the time.
    Constantly changing the menu upsets guests.
    too many coupons for free stuff and why have expired coupons if you want us to take any coupon they bring in.

Very great to work at, but every restaurant is different due to management.

I have been working at Chili's

Pros

Great environment to work in.

Cons

Schedule not very consistent. You some times get the feel that the brand is trying way too hard.

Great starting server job.

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Chili's

Pros

-Very fun and fast paced environment.
    -If you can manage time, you should be able to make 100 a shift
    -Flexible shifts

Cons

-Poor management
    -Clientele in my area are very poor/lower class
    -Very hard to bus tables efficiently when balancing 3-5 other tables...you are supposedly a team with your partner, but they wont pick up slack often.

Chili's Photos