Chili's Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

3.3

Chili's President Wyman Roberts
Wyman Roberts

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, will always try to work with you (in 40 reviews)

• Staff are mostly friendly and mostly flexible hours (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, loosing too many of company's biggest fans over the last few years (in 16 reviews)

• Management quality of life is horrendous (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Work Lifestyle

Former Employee - Server  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Server in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Chili's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Chilis was always nice about allowing the ability pick up shifts to make extra cash. People are always friendly.

Cons

Being new at chilis can be a con since you would have to start off with cruddy sections.

Keep up the good work and keep the training program going.

Good job for a college student

Former Employee - Waitress  in  Brookfield, WI
    Former Employee - Waitress in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Chili's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I made a good amount of money for being a high school/college student. They worked well with my busy schedule. Managers were for the most part friendly and approachable. I worked at 3 different Chili's and transferring was easy. I started as a hostess and busser when I was 16 then became a waitress at 18.

Cons

There's only so much money you can make and so far you can move up. I would never stay here for longer than I did (which was about 3 years). There's a lot of turnover and not a lot of incentive to work really hard.

Love Chili's!

Current Employee - Togo Specialist
    Current Employee - Togo Specialist

I have been working at Chili's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Chilis truly is a family. Flexible scheduling. Plenty of time to request days off. I ended up leaving chilis for another job at a golf course and didn't even make it a month before I went back. Management at my first store changed fairly quickly but slowed down at one point. The job is demanding but I was never ridiculed for making mistakes.

Cons

Long nights at work. Like any other restaurant job. If you don't like fast paced then you shouldn't pick this job or any other restaurant. Tips in Togo suck. But hourly wage isn't bad!

Keep it up! We are all a family

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great management, flexible schedule, decent tips

Current Employee - Food Server  in  Encino, CA
    Current Employee - Food Server in Encino, CA

I have been working at Chili's part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great management, flexible schedule with good support from managers. Not responsible for walk outs so there's a big plus.

Cons

Tips are ok but steady. Clientele are sometimes not great but that's to be expected.

Worst job I've ever had...and I've shoveled goat manure for a living.

Former Employee - Prep Cook
    Former Employee - Prep Cook

I worked at Chili's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Those who worked in the front of the house seemed slightly happier with their jobs than those of us at the back. Though I couldn't tell you for sure. They did make more money. It's not a bad place to eat, I never saw food being handled unsafely or bad product being used. Health insurance was available, which is why I stayed as long as I did.

Cons

Hired as prep cook, when I started there were three people making/portioning a list of well over 100 items during a shift, in addition to prepping things on the fly for the cooks. Absolutely no breaks. When I started there and asked about breaks they looked at me like I was insane. I was told I could take one if asked but was pressured never to take even a five minute breather. Work was expected to be finished in 8 hours but it usually took 9-10, and that is with three people. One of them was training me so that she could move to another store, so then it was down to two of us. Then our workdays were divided so that only one prep person was working on any given day. All items were expected to be finished in the same amount of time anyway, and I was lectured and written up for taking 12-14 hours to complete what took three people 8-10 hours to finish. They could not understand why I couldn't do it. I worked as hard as I could...I was hungry and tired all day, treated like a servant, frequently ignored when I asked for help lifting a 100lb bag of potatoes or finishing up dishes at the end of the night when I was ready to drop.

Make breaks a requirement where employees have to punch in and out for them so that management has no choice but to schedule employees for at least a meal break or a fifteen minute break. Adjust expectations of how much a single person can do in a particular length of time, and add additional help when additional work is added.

if you like working with children...

Former Employee - Server/Waiter
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter

I worked at Chili's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

NOTHING. I worked there for five years, so i must have stayed for a reason. But I have had managers from otter stores say mine was the worst ever. which i truly believe.

Cons

Horrible management
    Horrible coworkers
    kids eat free is terrible.
    2 for 20 is terrible
    maters treat you like slaves.
    WORST serving job EVER

Just get different management. And don't sleep with your coworkers.

Ok team service, and HORRIBLE management!

I worked at Chili's full-time for more than a year

Pros

The food is good, where I worked was very clean. I wasn' t qualified for benefits till a year of working there. The team service was good if you were a server. As far as a bartender or QA no help what so ever in running food or cleaning THEIR tables.

Cons

It was very disturbing what went on at this Chili's location. Two of the managers were having affairs with employees and it even went to corporate and they still stayed there and swept it under the rug leaving the team members to be treated like crap for letting corporate know what was going on in this restaraunt. Running so low on staff putting new people on bar that were not even trained for the position. The hours are crap to make a living.

Listen to employees and put more professional people in the management jobs! Having affairs with cooks and servers while being a manager?

Chili's overall is a great place to work after you earn your spot

I have been working at Chili's

Pros

Great Atmosphere when everything is going the manager way

Cons

Attitudes and they keep you at a stand still for a long time before promotion

Good experience.

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Chili's part-time

Pros

Nice work environment, good tips if you work in week ends. Flexible schedule, hours that work for you!Overall a positive experience if you like this type of job.

Cons

Long hours where you have to stand all the time during your shift, rude customers. They expect you to work really hard, no breaks.

Set more reasonable goals and allow breaks for more than 4 hours shift.

Great Brand, Great Culture, Plenty of room for improvement.

Current Employee - Shift Lead/QA/Bar  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Shift Lead/QA/Bar in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Chili's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, very innovative re-imaging, great food and established brand. Well-oiled machine when Team Service is truly implemented. Great culture and concept which creates a fun work environment, which in turn translates to great customer experience. Decent pay (tips) and plenty of opportunities to move forward within the company. Food discounts and fun promotions.

Cons

If one part of the team fails, the machine falls apart. Management seems pressured to run bare-bones, and team members usually have to pick up the slack, which creates a disconnect in trust between management and staff. Difficulties prioritizing staff needs versus business needs, and poor utilization of staff strengths and weaknesses at times. Difficulties in consistent scheduling and a lot of inconvenient last-minute schedule changes.

Chili's has a great concept in place, and people who really believe in the long-standing culture. As long as management sincerely shares this with the team members, things work great. When they fall apart though, it's bad, really bad.

Worked for Chili's? Contribute to the Community!