China Radio International Reviews

3.7
CEO

1. Host

I have been working at China Radio International full-time

Pros

A lot of different areas to work in, can follow your interest.

Cons

Bureaucratic structure. Very little room to affect big picture decisions.

Advice to Management

Better prioritize content and personnel decisions. The most important thing is what goes to air.

2. Great, but not for everyone.

Current Employee - Editor/Presenter in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Current Employee - Editor/Presenter in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I have been working at China Radio International full-time

Pros

The best thing about working at CRI is the interactions with the Chinese staff. In a word, they are wonderful. Curious, fun, excited to work with westerners especially, and great to hang out with outside of work. My Chinese coworkers in the English service are why I get up and go to work every day. Also, if you are talented (and this is a big if!) you will be put live on the air very quickly at CRI as opposed to other places (again, this is just the English service.. the other languages do not go live). The other big plus has been the number of bonuses I have been given outside of my contract. I was hired as a copy editor, but now, I am on the air as a host to the flagship program at CRI and have been given many financial incentives to hard, dedicated work. If you are good, they will certainly butter your bread. But my coworkers who are less talented are singing a different song. If you play the game right, you will do well at CRI. No question about it. But if you are too strong headed about your own beliefs, or you just suck on the air, I can imagine your life would be pretty miserable. All of this said, I love working here, and plan to be here a long time! It is a wonderful place to work, all things considered, and the things I list below are tolerable in light of the fact that I get up excited to go to work every day.

Cons

The pay right out of the gate is not excellent. I am lucky to have gotten bonuses, but if I were not as talented, then I could be making more at Disney English to be perfectly honest. The management are so useless it is really hard to believe. No communication, no help to the foreign staff, no appreciation for hard work out side of simple compensation. Another con is the location. I live in the company provided apartments. It is nice to live close, since I work shifts for the English news team, but if I worked regular hours I would never want to live out so far. We are seriously more than an hour from anything worthwhile in the city. Pretty pathetic. The technology in the office is also out-of-control bad. So dated. All of these things, except the location, are fixable. And I sure hope CRI gets around to do.

Advice to Management

A bit more compensation would go far. Nothing unreasonable, but offer a bit more pay out of the gate. Communicate with the foreign staff more. Get us all some computers that work. We lose so much time sitting at our desks waiting for things to load its absurd. Just give a care and things would get much better.

3. This was a job with a lot of opportunities but not well paid

Former Employee - English Service in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - English Service in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at China Radio International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was exciting and you get really good exposure and opportunities as a foreigner there. It was wonderful and I had so many great interviews, work trips, events, and I loved my colleagues. If you are looking for a way to get into media in China, it's a really good way to start. I would have stayed longer but it was not worth it in the end to be in debt because I was so badly paid.

Cons

It's badly paid and the commute is really far unless you plan to live out in BaBaoshan.

Advice to Management

Pay the employees more and value them.

5. Good experience

Former Employee - Editor in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Editor in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at China Radio International

Pros

The job which I like

Cons

It's will be better if I can be assigned more tasks

6. A good opportunity but poor communication

Current Employee - Polisher in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Current Employee - Polisher in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I have been working at China Radio International

Pros

CRI is a reliable, stable and established employer, unlike many companies in China. Although there are sometimes issues, you can trust that they will pay you, get your visa and fulfill their end of the contract. Good for networking and an introduction to working in China. It is an interesting experience to work for state media and interact with Chinese journalists. It's one of the safest ways for a foreign journalist to get started in China and learn about how things work here. There's also an international, multicultural office and social environment around CRI as well.

Cons

CRI can be a difficult environment for people with training as Western journalists because of the nature of state media in China. Management may not allow you to do the work you want to do once you get here or may try to get you to participate in projects or events that you don't want to do. Management and basic office structure is very unorganized, communication is nonexistant. Hours can be irregular for some employees. The office is located extremely far from the city center, resulting in long commutes for some.

Advice to Management

Improve communication.