China Radio International

Updated July 11, 2014

3.3

CEO

Good experience

Former Employee - Editor  in  Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Editor in Beijing, Beijing (China)

Pros

The job which I like

Cons

It's will be better if I can be assigned more tasks

This was a job with a lot of opportunities but not well paid

Former Employee - English Service  in  Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - English Service in Beijing, Beijing (China)

Pros

It was exciting and you get really good exposure and opportunities as a foreigner there. It was wonderful and I had so many great interviews, work trips, events, and I loved my colleagues. If you are looking for a way to get into media in China, it's a really good way to start. I would have stayed longer but it was not worth it in the end to be in debt because I was so badly paid.

Cons

It's badly paid and the commute is really far unless you plan to live out in BaBaoshan.

Pay the employees more and value them.

A good opportunity but poor communication

Current Employee - Polisher  in  Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Current Employee - Polisher in Beijing, Beijing (China)

Pros

CRI is a reliable, stable and established employer, unlike many companies in China. Although there are sometimes issues, you can trust that they will pay you, get your visa and fulfill their end of the contract. Good for networking and an introduction to working in China. It is an interesting experience to work for state media and interact with Chinese journalists. It's one of the safest ways for a foreign journalist to get started in China and learn about how things work here. There's also an international, multicultural office and social environment around CRI as well.

Cons

CRI can be a difficult environment for people with training as Western journalists because of the nature of state media in China. Management may not allow you to do the work you want to do once you get here or may try to get you to participate in projects or events that you don't want to do. Management and basic office structure is very unorganized, communication is nonexistant. Hours can be irregular for some employees. The office is located extremely far from the city center, resulting in long commutes for some.

Improve communication.

Worked for China Radio International? Contribute to the Community!