Chipotle Reviews

Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

1. Good

Current Employee - Crew Member in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Chipotle

Pros

Goodfood and good pay . great team members

Cons

l Its a stressful job sometimes customers are annoying.

Be more about the staff

2. I was a Financial Accountant for Chipotle for 3.5 years. In the beginning the atmosphere was fun and energetic.

Former Employee - Financial Accountant in Westerville, OH
    Former Employee - Financial Accountant in Westerville, OH

I worked at Chipotle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-The company is still in a strong growth stretch
    -Offers bonuses at different levels depending on role
    -Office employees get $100.00 per month in free food
    -Office employees get $100.00 in Chipotle swag
    -Benefits are good
    -Sabbatical offered after 10 years
    -Bi-annual company retreats
    -Free chips and salsa every Thursday

Cons

-The Columbus office is a regional, accounting center. The main office (HQ) is in Denver, CO so you feel a little bit like a red-headed step child. Plus there's often times when travel to Denver is necessary
    -Pay is below average
    -Very little upward mobility in the accounting center (unless you're willing/able to move to Denver)
    -Management are very good at accounting...not so good at managing teams
    -Pay is extremely low considering what is asked of the employees
    -The only way to get an above average annual performance rating is to somehow manage to save the company millions of dollars. The review process is a joke (although that's common).

The management team is extremely capable when it comes to accounting knowledge and practices. However, they lack extremely when it comes to developing employees...or even relating to employees in most cases

3. Long hours

Current Employee - Apprentice GM in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Apprentice GM in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Chipotle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and decent salary. Able to run a restaurant how you see fit and bring your own knowledge to the company

Cons

Long hours and required to work a minimum of 50 hrs a week/ten hour days this will increase to 70+ if you are down managers

Make sure you managers are set up for success and not working without any direction

"The company of double-standards"

I worked at Chipotle

Pros

-free food
    -competitive salary
    -great bonuses
    -room for advancement

Cons

-salary managers are expected to work 60+ hour weeks
    -terrible work/life balance
    -high turnover at every level
    -double standards that change from day to day and restaurant to restaurant

good luck

6. Excellent food, varied people development

Former Employee - General Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Chipotle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Food. Excellent opportunity for growth, but only in the right stores.

Cons

Hours/lack of support from upper management when things get rough. No work life balance.

Time off, whether for being sick or for family reasons, is a joke. As a GM I had "two weeks" of vacation and "ten sick days", but whenever I tried to use that time, I was told by my superior that I was free to take time off as long as I could find someone to "cover my shift"....which is a joke. GM's can't find other GM's to cover for them....

7. could work on things

Former Employee - Crew Member in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Columbus, OH

I worked at Chipotle full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It was a ok job
    loved pay
    loved the free food

Cons

never got help when I first started
    need to be faster
    should cook chips and taco shells while on the clock

be kinder to your workers
    and if they have one no call no show bc of something
    give them another shot

8. Loving life at Chipotle!

Current Employee - Chipotle Crew Member in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Chipotle Crew Member in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Chipotle part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people are very friendly, everyone is interested in helping you thrive and they are flexible about requesting off work

Cons

Everyone has an opinion on how you should be doing things and some even contradict each other. Portion sizes are strict and you can end up getting repremanded even though the customer asked for extra. The training program is not sufficient

I know the training book is new, but its horribly organized! It should be organized by shift: Opening, mid-day, and closing. I still don't have a lot of knowledge in the book purely because I have not been scheduled to open. Also, our pay is a bit low for the amount of revenue my store does. My boss brags about our average daily revenue being 11,000 or more. Why is it that we make $8.75? Thank you!

Chipotle Response

Jul 10, 2014Recruitment Communications Specialist

Thank you so much for your review. We will be sure to pass these comments along to our training team. We hope to make your experience even better in the coming months. Keep up the good work! Thanks ... More

9. They treat animals better than their employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bexley, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bexley, OH

I worked at Chipotle part-time (less than a year)

Pros

1 meal under $8 IF you get a meal break. Opportunities for advancement (so I was told). A chance to work in a causal dinning establishment.

Cons

Unsafe working conditions: at the Bexley, Ohio location- the staff and management all wanted to get out of the store at the end of the day before midnight, this required extremely fast cleaning. The enchilada maker was never unplugged early enough-the end result is that I had to clean dangerously hot equipment wearing LATEX gloves-which obviously made no sense because the gloves just melted and each night pieces of the skin from my hands would be seared off.
    The front-line staff stand directly in front of the grill area and all the smoke and heat from the grill blasts the staff, it's worse than working outside in the summer in the desert.

Low wages: The minimum-wage/just about minimum that new employees are paid has been proven to create a permanent lower class dependent upon government programs. A full-time employee at Chipotle should not qualify for food stamps. Also, there were employees who needed more hours to pay their bills and were not giving more hours or an explanation while new hires were brought in. If that was management's way of passively-aggressively telling the person they were not valued than that is messed up. Managers should be honest and not play around with people's livelihoods.

Contradictory "Standards": I was constantly being yelled at about my food portioning. I was trained to put a certain amount of lime-cilantro rice in each burrito. (This amount I was supposed to visually memorize because there was no measurement. I was also told that customers were to have as much rice as they wanted. When I put what I was trained was the company standard amount of rice in the burrito the customers would yell at me that I was being stingy with the rice and that the other employees always put in more. When I would add more the cooks would yell at me that I was causing them to make more rice than they were use to and "wasting" rice. When I would add meat to a burrito there was a definite amount added and then any more required the customer to pay a bit extra...except when a customer complained that I did not give them "enough" by some unseen standard and then they were given more with no charge. When I tried to give the next customer the exact amount of meat I had observed from the previous customer, the staff complained that I was giving out too much meat.

I have no idea what advice to give. Before I worked for this company I was a loyal customer. After working for only 4 days and then quitting I have never eaten at a Chipotle since and basically boycott this entire company. My only advice would be: treat your employees well. They are human beings who have families and friends and could make or break your company in the long run.

10. Hectic and stressful.

Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member in Columbus, OH

I worked at Chipotle part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot about customer service and better ways to communicate with people.

Cons

I worked full-time hours and went to school full-time, they would not change my hours; which made school more stressful.

Be more mindful of your employees, especially the ones in school or who have children. It's hard to go to school 6 hours for and work 7-8 hours everyday and still have time to get homework done and study. Especially not having adequate breaks during scheduled shifts.

11. Great company in general, but needs restoration

Current Employee - Cashier in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Chipotle full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great food
    Starting pay is great

Cons

Poor management
    overworked
    stressed
    not payed enough to deal with above

Management is not responsive to crew members opinions and shrug them off. Upper management does not care whether or not store is properly staffed with the right amount of managers, due to store not being "clean." Its hard to address the issues that need correction when new apprentice is running 3 jobs and not his or her own job. Upper management needs to not be condescending and be understanding of what is wrong and help fix the problems and not be negative about it. Also, it would be helpful to actually see upper management at my store, have been working there for over 6 months and have never seen them at the store that I work at, just because I work the evening shift does not mean you are not able to talk to your employees and see your store.