Chipotle

Chipotle Reviews in Columbus, OH

Updated Jun 26, 2014

Chipotle Co-CEOs Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Pros
  • The perks of getting free food during your shift was amazing(in 82 reviews)

• The company allows 1 free meal to its employees per shift worked(in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Not paid enough for the amount of work expected to be done(in 13 reviews)

• Fast paced environment (for those who don't like that)(in 21 reviews)

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Loving life at Chipotle!

Chipotle Crew Member (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsThe people are very friendly, everyone is interested in helping you thrive and they are flexible about requesting off work

ConsEveryone has an opinion on how you should be doing things and some even contradict each other. Portion sizes are strict and you can end up getting repremanded even though the customer asked for extra. The training program is not sufficient

Advice to Senior ManagementI know the training book is new, but its horribly organized! It should be organized by shift: Opening, mid-day, and closing. I still don't have a lot of knowledge in the book purely because I have not been scheduled to open. Also, our pay is a bit low for the amount of revenue my store does. My boss brags about our average daily revenue being 11,000 or more. Why is it that we make $8.75? Thank you!

Chipotle Recruitment Communications Specialist responded to this review

Jul 10, 2014

Thank you so much for your review. We will be sure to pass these comments along to our training team. We hope to make your experience even better in the coming months. Keep up the good work! Thanks ... More

They treat animals better than their employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bexley, OH

Pros1 meal under $8 IF you get a meal break. Opportunities for advancement (so I was told). A chance to work in a causal dinning establishment.

ConsUnsafe working conditions: at the Bexley, Ohio location- the staff and management all wanted to get out of the store at the end of the day before midnight, this required extremely fast cleaning. The enchilada maker was never unplugged early enough-the end result is that I had to clean dangerously hot equipment wearing LATEX gloves-which obviously made no sense because the gloves just melted and each night pieces of the skin from my hands would be seared off.
    The front-line staff stand directly in front of the grill area and all the smoke and heat from the grill blasts the staff, it's worse than working outside in the summer in the desert.

Low wages: The minimum-wage/just about minimum that new employees are paid has been proven to create a permanent lower class dependent upon government programs. A full-time employee at Chipotle should not qualify for food stamps. Also, there were employees who needed more hours to pay their bills and were not giving more hours or an explanation while new hires were brought in. If that was management's way of passively-aggressively telling the person they were not valued than that is messed up. Managers should be honest and not play around with people's livelihoods.

Contradictory "Standards": I was constantly being yelled at about my food portioning. I was trained to put a certain amount of lime-cilantro rice in each burrito. (This amount I was supposed to visually memorize because there was no measurement. I was also told that customers were to have as much rice as they wanted. When I put what I was trained was the company standard amount of rice in the burrito the customers would yell at me that I was being stingy with the rice and that the other employees always put in more. When I would add more the cooks would yell at me that I was causing them to make more rice than they were use to and "wasting" rice. When I would add meat to a burrito there was a definite amount added and then any more required the customer to pay a bit extra...except when a customer complained that I did not give them "enough" by some unseen standard and then they were given more with no charge. When I tried to give the next customer the exact amount of meat I had observed from the previous customer, the staff complained that I was giving out too much meat.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no idea what advice to give. Before I worked for this company I was a loyal customer. After working for only 4 days and then quitting I have never eaten at a Chipotle since and basically boycott this entire company. My only advice would be: treat your employees well. They are human beings who have families and friends and could make or break your company in the long run.

Hectic and stressful.

Cashier and Crew Member (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsI learned a lot about customer service and better ways to communicate with people.

ConsI worked full-time hours and went to school full-time, they would not change my hours; which made school more stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more mindful of your employees, especially the ones in school or who have children. It's hard to go to school 6 hours for and work 7-8 hours everyday and still have time to get homework done and study. Especially not having adequate breaks during scheduled shifts.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company in general, but needs restoration

Cashier (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGreat food
    Starting pay is great

ConsPoor management
    overworked
    stressed
    not payed enough to deal with above

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is not responsive to crew members opinions and shrug them off. Upper management does not care whether or not store is properly staffed with the right amount of managers, due to store not being "clean." Its hard to address the issues that need correction when new apprentice is running 3 jobs and not his or her own job. Upper management needs to not be condescending and be understanding of what is wrong and help fix the problems and not be negative about it. Also, it would be helpful to actually see upper management at my store, have been working there for over 6 months and have never seen them at the store that I work at, just because I work the evening shift does not mean you are not able to talk to your employees and see your store.

Slaves

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGreat benefits: company car, laptop, cell phone. Opportunity to serve food with integrity. Fast paced environment and happy customer base.

ConsSenior management is awful. They treat everyone like slaves and expect managers to work 60+ hours every week. The past two years I was only able to use half my vacation time! 2010 I used 1 of 3 available weeks and no one even batted an eye or said thanks. There is a true disconnect between the restaurants and regional staff and they provide very little support. I oversaw 2 restaurants and probably spent a total of 3 hrs a month with my Team Leader and even less with my Team Director. Food with integrity is something they have achieved.. now how about treating your people with integrity... The animals are treated better than the employees!!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so bull headed and realize that each and every location is different and you can't fit everyone into the same mold

A great place to work for the time being.

Crew (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

Pros*There are tons of opportunities for growth within the company.
    *The store management, the senior management and the crew are extremely comfortable and open to communication, solving problems and working ''as a family''.
    *The atmosphere is generally cheerful, fast paced and supportive.
    *For each Chipotle opened local farmers are supported.
    *The company aims for vegetarian fed, non chemically treated beef, chickens and pigs for the meat cooked and vegetarian fed, non chemically treated cows for the milk products. This sets a standard for other company's and helps address some of the political and ecological issues today (which is awesome).
    *The company is in support of ideas, thoughts and concerns.
    *The quality of the food is amazing and --I like working for a place that inspires others and feels good.

Cons*The amount of energy, dedication and time you put into the job is appreciated, yet the pay is not equal to the job you do. In order to make more, you must advance your position. Otherwise a maximum of 3% (20 cents) wage increase is to be expected each quarter at the will of your manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk more with senior management and work on the interpersonal qualities of all employees. The general quality of customer service and positivity throughout the store depends upon the good working relationships of everyone on the team. That includes upper management and other stores.

Worked for Chipotle? Contribute to the Community!