Chipotle

Chipotle Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Chipotle Co-CEOs Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Pros:
  • "The perks of getting free food during your shift was amazing"
    in 75 reviews
  • "You MIGHT get a free meal before you start an 8 hour shift, with no break"
    in 71 reviews
Cons:
  • "The amount of pay for the amount of work sucks big time"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Upper management doesn't understand how to not micro manage everything"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sucked

Kitchen Manager In Training (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsNone, they work you to the bone

ConsEverything about Working for Chipotle sucks

Advice to Senior ManagementShut down the company

Among the hardest of jobs I've worked, and the lowest of pay.

Crew Member (Current Employee)
    Quincy, MA

ProsSome locations good about promoting internally.
    Many managers were quick to notice employees who stood out from the rest, both good and bad.
    Free food and paid breaks.

ConsOften insane workload for the pay, and district managers who act on intimidation and negativity rather than positive reinforcement. I was told numerous time I was being trained for management, but those promises were never seen through.
    I was often treated like a factory worker. And managers were quick to chew out anyone who they deemed a cog in the machine.
    The restaurant is incredibly dirty, and while management says it was just our restaurant I heard similar complaints from other locations. We had at least a dozen mice, and on at least one occasion maggots in our drains. The dish area is often covered in rotting dishwater and used pans of raw meat. The floors leave my shoes smelling like death no matter how I wash them.
    If the job paid more it would be tolerable, but it's a job that pays low enough to keep their employees fighting for hours. One of my least favorite jobs ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow respect to your employees. Stop preaching about your "culture" and "vision" and start giving your employees ample pay, hours, and respect. I would recommend a customer/employee boycott this location and search for a local option, rather than seek employment here.

Not worth the extra buck in food industry

Lake Forest, CA

Pros- Starting at about 9 dollars an hour keeps you a buck above Taco Bell or other fast food.
    - All the free food you want on your 15 minute break.
    - Employee discount

Cons- Only Mexican management, completely racist towards white employees. Welcome to washing tables floors and windows your entire time.
    - Cannot bring any food home from your break, you have 15 minutes to go to the bathroom, check your phone, stand in line to get your food and eat it. God help you if you're a smoker and need a cigarette.
    - Schedule was NEVER up on time. Had to call in every Sunday night to find out if I was working on Monday. Good luck making any plans, ever.
    - Inappropriateness and unprofessionalism due to poor management and HR policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being rude, stupid, and ridiculously unfair toward white hard working employees. You studied the book so you should know a white guy from NY made and owns the Chipotle franchise.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company culture is actually fairly good. The food is gmo free and as fresh as you would hope it would be, I had a bad experience because of management, not because of the company. Chipotle is still my favorite restaurant, I eat there almost every day.

ConsThe management was terrible. I was constantly in trouble for not cutting vegetables fast enough. My manager actually pulled me into the office at one point to tell me she wasn't going to fire me, but I should strongly consider quitting. I found out a year later that her and her boyfriend, who was a manager there as well, were each caught separately stealing from the cash registers. Quality hires Chipotle.

You'll never be fast enough.

Crew Member (Former Employee)

ProsFree Chipotle on breaks (assuming you get to take a break)
    50% off at home store only
    Mostly nice co-workers
    Paid breaks

ConsThe speed required to work here is inhuman. It will never be fast enough.
    They require certain cut sizes combined with super-human speed. Everyone runs around like chickens with their heads cut off. Always afraid of screaming managers.
    They will throw away an entire hotel pans of product to prove a point if your sizes are not perfect.
    They encourage people working off the clock. Service and Kitchen Managers are constantly coming in on their day off to work off the clock.
    I was trained on knife safety after 3 days of working with a knife. With little to no direction prior.
    You get a 30 minute break that you do not clock out for and most breaks lasted only between 15-20 mins with no proof of it happening so there was no way to challenge it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop asking people to work off the clock. The training videos are not being utilized as they should be, make sure everyone is on the same page with that. Hard work is not an issue, but the amount of things needed to be done in the time allowed is almost impossible. Realize that we are not work horses. Respect can go a long way.

Better than Fast Food work. Still not what I enjoy.

Cashier and Crew Member (Current Employee)

ProsPays well considering it is a fast food place, easy to get time off and work around your schedule, offers insurance and 401k plan. Free meals when you work, so plenty of compensation. Learn a lot about organic farming and naturally raised animals.

ConsChipotle takes over your life, literally. If you choose to work full time, prepare to work double shifts with one day off a week. The paycheck is nice, but not worth spending all your time there. After a few months you will hate your job. Customers are jerks, your coworkers become rude, and management plays favorites. I definitely hate working in the food industry and this was probably the most tolerable jobs I had, but there are definitely some major flaws.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the favoritism, train people before throwing them to the wolves, and fire people who deserve it.

Fast Paced. Fun Oriented. Hard Work. Horrible Scheduling.

Pittsburgh, PA

ProsFree Food!! You are encouraged to taste everything on that line and make sure that it is fit for the customer! Most managers are leaders among the group and that is always a plus. Almost every person you work with there is super nice and willing to help someone that is new or learning how to be the best at whatever job they are performing.

ConsSome managers decide that since they run the show and make the rules, they are above you and while being "positive" and "motivating" they have a bad attitude due to the high stress of running a restaurant that is busy from open to close. It's truly a shame that such a nice company that promotes high morale can have people manage their stores that treat their crew members with disrespect. Low pay is another problem. The amount of work the crew does, especially openers and closers, isn't anywhere close to the pay you receive. I opened almost every shift I worked and I would do multiple cases of guac, which is extremely time consuming, and would get lectured that I need to move faster on opening prep and I was only making minimum wage. Scheduling is completely awful and that's really the only way to put it.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlmost every manager who works at Chipotle has my respect because that job is obviously exhausting to do so kudos to you and keep up the hard work. To the managers who take their stress out on hard working crew members, learn to deal with it better or change your career field.

Chipotle is NOT a great place to work

Chino Hills, CA

ProsFree Meals when working.
    50% off when you're not working
    Some of the co-workers become friends

Consyoung people running the company
    too many little hierarchies within lower management
    the friend's of the managers will get the promotions
    sometimes when there is an open manager spot, the GM will pull from a different store instead of within

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up and learn how to manage a store. A boss and a leader are two different things. Quit being so lazy and riding off the crew to do everything.

A great place to grow and learn about the meaning of hard-work and its sweet rewards.

Crew Member (Front Line) (Former Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsFast-paced atmosphere that truly challenges one's energy levels but at the same time trains them for any possible barriers in the work place. It is also quite chill and friendly, which allows the co-workers to freely mingle and socialize.

ConsI felt like one can be over-seen by others even though one works hard or possible harder than others. One tries to keep a smiling face but sometimes the job can be truly tasking. If you don't work enough hours, or it isn't given to you; then you will never be promoted. You don't feel like you're given the chance to move up, which is one of the biggest downsides to working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementI suppose my only advice would be to pay more attention to each employee. Don't neglect to see new employees simply because you think they are rookies. Those who has worked at Chipotle may slack off and they would be off-the-hook, thinking they're permanents so it doesn't matter. It just makes new employees feel bitter and on the inside.

Great environment, horrible scheduling.

Port Orange, FL

ProsGood spirit! Always trying to motivate team, teach you early on, always on time with pay. Loved it when I worked, was like another family.

ConsHorrible scheduling for part-timers. Random firing periods (almost no job security). Not very good mentoring for new employees.

Worked for Chipotle? Contribute to the Community!

Chipotle Videos

Chipotle – Why Work for Us?

CULTIVATING FUTURE LEADERS START YOUR CAREER ROLLING One of the many reasons why Chipotle is unlike other fast food companies is the fact that nearly all of the leaders are promoted from our crew. Many restaurant… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chipotle reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chipotle CEO Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran. All 542 reviews posted anonymously by Chipotle employees.