Chipotle

Updated September 5, 2014
3.4

Chipotle Co-CEOs Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran
Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Pros
  • You get free food if you work and the income is a bit higher than most other places (in 120 reviews)

• You get one free meal the days you go working and 50% off when you not working (in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • Not paid enough for the amount of work expected to be done (in 17 reviews)

• Very fast paced, values can some times feel like they are in the way of productivity (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Collaborative and innovative environment focused on bringing only the best service and food to its customers.

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Denver, CO

I worked at Chipotle as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Almost all co-workers are easy and fun to work with. Strong focus on empowerment and making sure you have the resources needed to succeed. Time off policies very flexible even for contractors.

Cons

Each department has its own unique culture and when interviewing be sure to find out what sets each department apart . There is some micromanagement, but more often then not you can give feedback and advice.

Great Company To Work For

Former Employee - Human Resources in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Denver, CO

I worked at Chipotle full-time

Pros

The Corporate office is a laid back environment where suits and ties are discouraged. There are fun social events hosted every month for the employees to get to know eachother outside of work. Steve Ells is an amazing person who cares about his employees and their health. They are understanding and flexible and want to help you succeed.

Cons

The training was poor and inefficient. I was not told what time to come in, or what to expect, or when I would end my day. It's hard to get a hold of people if you have questions and the office space is small which makes everything echo and you can lose your train of thought while at work.

Great place to work in IT Department

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Chipotle as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible, easy going people, great place to learn and work

Cons

leadership change will get IT department in great shape

Its a growing company, keeping transparent will make IT dept. more successful with growth of company.

Chipotle Response

Jul 10, 2014National Recruiting Consultant

Thanks so much for the review and we are happy to hear that you had a great experience. Your feedback about where we can improve is valuable and we will share this with our leadership to further ... More

Learned/Worked A-LOT... Little pay

Current Employee - Cashier and Crew Member Kitchen Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Cashier and Crew Member Kitchen Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Chipotle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There's no other place to learn about customer service better than Chipotle.
    Company cares about you.
    Free food.
    Payed 30 mins. break.

Cons

Co-workers ALWAYS complaining.
    1 week off only per year, even though this is a fast food joint.
    MOST IMPORTANTLY: you do SO much and get payed horribly.
    They started to pay newer employees (teens) with no experience more than me (I've been there for more than a year).
    It's literally all about the customers. We have to kiss their butts 24/7 and no matter how wrongly the customers treat us, we'd always be the bad guys and get written up for it.
    They expect too much. You have to do 1-on-1's a lot and development journals. I had no time for that. I wanted to come in, work, leave. Simple as that.

Treat the employees right. Increase pay much more for employees who've been with you guys for more than a year. Don't take the customer's side because negative web comments only gets those mean customer's exactly what they want. Don't expect too much from us.

Your stability is determined by the department you're in

Former Employee - Headquarters - Wynkoop in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Headquarters - Wynkoop in Denver, CO

I worked at Chipotle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pretty good starting pay, great benefits, awesome corporate culture. The vast majority of people there are just awesome.

Cons

VERY lean corporate environment. Depending on the department you're in, you will be told you do not need to work over 45 hours/week but you will if you want to compete with your peers who are working 60+. Favoritism is a factor depending on who you're working under. There was much to be desired in the area of communication.

My Exec. Director was fantastic but my immediate manager was not - this created major problems.

Be consistent: My Executive Director would praise me through the roof only to have my manager tell me the next day that my job was on the line - this happened several times throughout my employment. Ultimately I was let-go due to "inconsistent performance" which could also be said about the department in general; inconsistent hours, inconsistent expectations, inconsistent feedback, inconsistent staffing, inconsistent attendance of our immediate manager who was constantly out due to health concerns, etc. If you want your employees to be consistent, lead by example and be consistent as well.

Be empowering: My immediate manager was not empowering at all and would constantly micro-manage and spy on employees; to her, everyone (customers, coworkers, business partners, etc.) was guilty until proven innocent. She was very controlling and had a hard time trusting anyone with tasks whether it was us, our customers or our business partners. Ironically, when she was out for several weeks for health problems, the department managed itself just fine. Learn to let go and to trust the people around you.

Understand Work-Life Balance: Our department was worked so hard that word got to the CEO and he came down himself to individually interview everyone where he also determined that everyone was being worked far beyond what's necessary. My immediate manager works at least 65-70 hours/week and the stress is literally destroying her health. It was not uncommon to see her (or others) sending out emails at midnight on the weekend. Turnover in our department is quite high and good people have left due to (in their words) the favoritism, lack of communication, and dis-encouragement of work-life balance. Those who decided to come in at 7:00 am and work until 6:00 pm each day were not only rewarded, but held as a standard of work performance. Encourage your people to work only 8 hours/day and to go home afterward and you'll end up with employees who are more empowered and, ultimately, more efficient.

Have a clear-cut path for growth: In my department, there was no clear path to go up... at all. We were simply told, "Well, there might be a manager position sometime in the distant future." The more I contributed and developed, the more praise I would get from my Executive Director and the more my immediate manager would feel threatened and tell me to stop which is not only very, very confusing and stressful, but is also not empowering or a good example to set for growth. It is also highly inconsistent. I don't have much to say in the way of bonuses and raises since I was let-go just before my annual bonus was to be established and paid (a bit shady).

Great experience

Current Employee - Restaurateur/General Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Restaurateur/General Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Chipotle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have learned a lot about management and found great friends I never thought I would have.

Cons

takes a lot of personal time

Love the team.

Current Employee - Human Resources in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Denver, CO

I have been working at Chipotle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very positive beginning. Excited to become part of the team

Cons

Work overload, high turn over. Not able to build on a team

Allow people to make mistakes and learn from them

Store Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Chipotle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for and plenty of room to advance within the restaurant.

Cons

Options are limited to move onto something else outside of the operations of the restaurant (like the corporate side) especially if you are a good manager. They want to keep you on the operations level as that's where the income is generated.

A great growth opportunity and a great mission to get behind!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Chipotle as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great company culture, motivating environment, challenging work, opportunities to learn on the job and grow as a professional

Cons

They do a lot of contract work and are very optimistic about the opportunity to turn full-time but it doesn't always work out that way

Treat contract more like contract vs. telling employees the high potential for turning full-time before the position itself is even permanent

More than just mexican food!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Chipotle full-time

Pros

Didnt realize this company had bigger goals than just providing food. We have an incredible people culture, positive impact on society, constantly trying to do better, and most importantly promote from within.

Cons

While I havent been working at headquarters long I honestly dont know what else to say besides we all work harder and longer hours than most people. We like to work when our restaurants are in business and because of how widespread we are that means we are basically constantly working. I do love it though!