Chipotle

Chipotle Reviews in Denver, CO

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Chipotle Co-CEOs Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Pros
  • The perks of getting free food during your shift was amazing(in 82 reviews)

• The company allows 1 free meal to its employees per shift worked(in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Not paid enough for the amount of work expected to be done(in 13 reviews)

• Fast paced environment (for those who don't like that)(in 21 reviews)

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work in IT Department

QA Engineer (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsFlexible, easy going people, great place to learn and work

Consleadership change will get IT department in great shape

Advice to Senior ManagementIts a growing company, keeping transparent will make IT dept. more successful with growth of company.

Chipotle National Recruiting Consultant responded to this review

Jul 10, 2014

Thanks so much for the review and we are happy to hear that you had a great experience. Your feedback about where we can improve is valuable and we will share this with our leadership to further ... More

Learned/Worked A-LOT... Little pay

Cashier and Crew Member Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThere's no other place to learn about customer service better than Chipotle.
    Company cares about you.
    Free food.
    Payed 30 mins. break.

ConsCo-workers ALWAYS complaining.
    1 week off only per year, even though this is a fast food joint.
    MOST IMPORTANTLY: you do SO much and get payed horribly.
    They started to pay newer employees (teens) with no experience more than me (I've been there for more than a year).
    It's literally all about the customers. We have to kiss their butts 24/7 and no matter how wrongly the customers treat us, we'd always be the bad guys and get written up for it.
    They expect too much. You have to do 1-on-1's a lot and development journals. I had no time for that. I wanted to come in, work, leave. Simple as that.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the employees right. Increase pay much more for employees who've been with you guys for more than a year. Don't take the customer's side because negative web comments only gets those mean customer's exactly what they want. Don't expect too much from us.

Your stability is determined by the department you're in

Headquarters - Wynkoop (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsPretty good starting pay, great benefits, awesome corporate culture. The vast majority of people there are just awesome.

ConsVERY lean corporate environment. Depending on the department you're in, you will be told you do not need to work over 45 hours/week but you will if you want to compete with your peers who are working 60+. Favoritism is a factor depending on who you're working under. There was much to be desired in the area of communication.

My Exec. Director was fantastic but my immediate manager was not - this created major problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent: My Executive Director would praise me through the roof only to have my manager tell me the next day that my job was on the line - this happened several times throughout my employment. Ultimately I was let-go due to "inconsistent performance" which could also be said about the department in general; inconsistent hours, inconsistent expectations, inconsistent feedback, inconsistent staffing, inconsistent attendance of our immediate manager who was constantly out due to health concerns, etc. If you want your employees to be consistent, lead by example and be consistent as well.

Be empowering: My immediate manager was not empowering at all and would constantly micro-manage and spy on employees; to her, everyone (customers, coworkers, business partners, etc.) was guilty until proven innocent. She was very controlling and had a hard time trusting anyone with tasks whether it was us, our customers or our business partners. Ironically, when she was out for several weeks for health problems, the department managed itself just fine. Learn to let go and to trust the people around you.

Understand Work-Life Balance: Our department was worked so hard that word got to the CEO and he came down himself to individually interview everyone where he also determined that everyone was being worked far beyond what's necessary. My immediate manager works at least 65-70 hours/week and the stress is literally destroying her health. It was not uncommon to see her (or others) sending out emails at midnight on the weekend. Turnover in our department is quite high and good people have left due to (in their words) the favoritism, lack of communication, and dis-encouragement of work-life balance. Those who decided to come in at 7:00 am and work until 6:00 pm each day were not only rewarded, but held as a standard of work performance. Encourage your people to work only 8 hours/day and to go home afterward and you'll end up with employees who are more empowered and, ultimately, more efficient.

Have a clear-cut path for growth: In my department, there was no clear path to go up... at all. We were simply told, "Well, there might be a manager position sometime in the distant future." The more I contributed and developed, the more praise I would get from my Executive Director and the more my immediate manager would feel threatened and tell me to stop which is not only very, very confusing and stressful, but is also not empowering or a good example to set for growth. It is also highly inconsistent. I don't have much to say in the way of bonuses and raises since I was let-go just before my annual bonus was to be established and paid (a bit shady).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience

Restaurateur/General Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsI have learned a lot about management and found great friends I never thought I would have.

Constakes a lot of personal time

Love the team.

Human Resources (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsVery positive beginning. Excited to become part of the team

ConsWork overload, high turn over. Not able to build on a team

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow people to make mistakes and learn from them

Store Manager

Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat company to work for and plenty of room to advance within the restaurant.

ConsOptions are limited to move onto something else outside of the operations of the restaurant (like the corporate side) especially if you are a good manager. They want to keep you on the operations level as that's where the income is generated.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

A great growth opportunity and a great mission to get behind!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat company culture, motivating environment, challenging work, opportunities to learn on the job and grow as a professional

ConsThey do a lot of contract work and are very optimistic about the opportunity to turn full-time but it doesn't always work out that way

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat contract more like contract vs. telling employees the high potential for turning full-time before the position itself is even permanent

More than just mexican food!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsDidnt realize this company had bigger goals than just providing food. We have an incredible people culture, positive impact on society, constantly trying to do better, and most importantly promote from within.

ConsWhile I havent been working at headquarters long I honestly dont know what else to say besides we all work harder and longer hours than most people. We like to work when our restaurants are in business and because of how widespread we are that means we are basically constantly working. I do love it though!

Work for a company that makes you proud

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

Pros-Ethical and forward-thinking
    -Team collaboration
    -Challengeing
    -High-Standards
    -Empowerment
    -Community

ConsIn corporate positions, the contract-to-hire method can be a little challenging, not having job security and being uncertain whether you have a future with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't grow faster than you can manage! Culture can be lost quickly in these situations.

pays too little for too much work

Crew Member (Current Employee) Denver, CO

Prosfree meal while working, 50% discounted meal while not on shift

Constoo much physical work, have to clean bathroom, clean the dangerous hot cooker, move heavy tables and lots lots of cleaning..................if you are a girl, it is maybe too much for you to do.

Advice to Senior Managementchipotle waste lots of food to keep the food at a high standard, but doesn't treat its employee that well.

Worked for Chipotle? Contribute to the Community!