Chipotle

Updated February 20, 2015
3.4

Chipotle Co-CEOs Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran
Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Pros
  • You get free food if you work and the income is a bit higher than most other places (in 120 reviews)

• You get one free meal the days you go working and 50% off when you not working (in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • Not paid enough for the amount of work expected to be done (in 17 reviews)

• Very fast paced, values can some times feel like they are in the way of productivity (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

29 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Line Worker

Former Employee - Line Worker in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Line Worker in Denver, CO

I worked at Chipotle part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good ethics, free food, better pay than other fast food places, feel empowered to make informed decisions. Learned how to roll burritos for life.

Cons

Most people do not work full time, managers are often are stingy about clocking in and out. Many immature workers and high turn over rate.

Management was fine.

Not a healthy work environment

Former Employee - Lobby/Cashier in Parker, CO
    Former Employee - Lobby/Cashier in Parker, CO

I worked at Chipotle part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch as a benefit, opportunities to advance

Cons

Not a healthy dynamic among employees and supervisors

Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions- allow employees room for personal life

If you would like to train millennials and do their work at the same time for 20K per year under market, go for it.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Denver, CO

I worked at Chipotle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Food card if you can tolerate the food.

Cons

You have to be all about Chipotle. Little promotions going on at the HQ location other than they call it a "promotion" with no increase in salary. If you are well educated and have a start on your career already or this might be your first job, stay away from Chipotle. There is no advantage to your career.

I would say, start thinking about individuals who are educated and working at HQ from a career growth perspective. Obviously, the company is an operational in nature, however, very tough to keep folks at HQ Wynkoop if you don't open up opportunities for these individuals as well and "pay them market". Yes, we like to get payed market or above as well ( doh ).

I love them!

Current Employee - Crew Member in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Chipotle

Pros

They are always happy
    I stay busy
    It is a great learning experience

Cons

Nothing is wrong with this company. I like to work there and I am excited to prolong my experience at Chipotle

Terrible work place

Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member in Arvada, CO
    Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member in Arvada, CO

I worked at Chipotle part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free food
    High pay
    Fun people
    You get tips at the end of each day
    Free uniform

Cons

No breaks
    Meals taken off the clock before your shift
    Same with your required break.

Let people have a break in the middle of their shift instead of having them eat their meal before clocking in.

Collaborative and innovative environment focused on bringing only the best service and food to its customers.

Former Contractor - Fundraising Coordinator in Denver, CO
    Former Contractor - Fundraising Coordinator in Denver, CO

I worked at Chipotle as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Almost all co-workers are easy and fun to work with. Strong focus on empowerment and making sure you have the resources needed to succeed. Time off policies very flexible even for contractors.

Cons

Each department has its own unique culture and when interviewing be sure to find out what sets each department apart . There is some micromanagement, but more often then not you can give feedback and advice.

Great Company To Work For

Former Employee - Human Resources in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Denver, CO

I worked at Chipotle full-time

Pros

The Corporate office is a laid back environment where suits and ties are discouraged. There are fun social events hosted every month for the employees to get to know eachother outside of work. Steve Ells is an amazing person who cares about his employees and their health. They are understanding and flexible and want to help you succeed.

Cons

The training was poor and inefficient. I was not told what time to come in, or what to expect, or when I would end my day. It's hard to get a hold of people if you have questions and the office space is small which makes everything echo and you can lose your train of thought while at work.

Tough job but fun at the same time

Current Employee - Crew Member in Northglenn, CO
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Northglenn, CO

I have been working at Chipotle full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get one free meal the days you go working and 50% off when you not working. You will never have 5 minutes to rest. If you are on the line and there's not enough clients, you can be sent to prep and cut veggies and prepare salsas. I get 10 per hour but they are going to make you sweat those 10 dollars.

Cons

There are growth opportunities but there is one guy that has been in training to become a manager and he has there already 5 years, so don't expect to grow quickly. I have not been there so much time but I was told they give you vacations when you have 3 years working...

They should give a couple of days of vacations after your first year working.

Great place to work in IT Department

Former Contractor - QA Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Contractor - QA Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Chipotle as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible, easy going people, great place to learn and work

Cons

leadership change will get IT department in great shape

Its a growing company, keeping transparent will make IT dept. more successful with growth of company.

Chipotle Response

Jul 10, 2014National Recruiting Consultant

Thanks so much for the review and we are happy to hear that you had a great experience. Your feedback about where we can improve is valuable and we will share this with our leadership to further ... More

Learned/Worked A-LOT... Little pay

Current Employee - Cashier and Crew Member Kitchen Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Cashier and Crew Member Kitchen Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Chipotle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There's no other place to learn about customer service better than Chipotle.
    Company cares about you.
    Free food.
    Payed 30 mins. break.

Cons

Co-workers ALWAYS complaining.
    1 week off only per year, even though this is a fast food joint.
    MOST IMPORTANTLY: you do SO much and get payed horribly.
    They started to pay newer employees (teens) with no experience more than me (I've been there for more than a year).
    It's literally all about the customers. We have to kiss their butts 24/7 and no matter how wrongly the customers treat us, we'd always be the bad guys and get written up for it.
    They expect too much. You have to do 1-on-1's a lot and development journals. I had no time for that. I wanted to come in, work, leave. Simple as that.

Treat the employees right. Increase pay much more for employees who've been with you guys for more than a year. Don't take the customer's side because negative web comments only gets those mean customer's exactly what they want. Don't expect too much from us.