Chipotle

Chipotle Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Chipotle Co-CEOs Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Pros
  • The perks of getting free food during your shift was amazing (in 82 reviews)

• The company allows 1 free meal to its employees per shift worked (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Not paid enough for the amount of work expected to be done (in 13 reviews)

• Fast paced environment (for those who don't like that) (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Great atmosphere, hard work, decent pay.

Crew Member (Former Employee)

ProsFree food, Great co-workers, Fun culture. The emphasis on hiring motivated individuals makes for a fun workplace with energetic people. However, those individuals should be reimbursed properly for such a successful company.

ConsNever full break--According to law in our state you're supposed to receive a 30 minute break for 8 hrs worked. I frequently worked extra hours and was only given 10 min break or no break. Little pay for hard work, scheduling nightmares. Prone to burn-out.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake schedules two weeks in advance instead of two days. Have enough staff on hand to run smoothly.

Rewarding, as long as you work for it.

Take-out Specialist (Former Employee) Burlington, KY

Pros- Free food, it's actually in your job description to eat the food prepared
    - Great opportunity for advancement
    - Awesome work environment, aside from cutting, burning, and maiming yourself every other day
    - Decent pay with a sense of dignity while working for a fast food restaurant
    - Reliable hours

Cons- Management is irresponsible more times than not
    - Fluid work schedule
    - Extremely high demands physically and mentally

It all depends on the manager and crew, could be an awesome time or the worst.

Line Worker (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat summer job for a college student to appreciate some hard work and the service industry. You understand the process as it goes and the job can be made fun with the right crew.

ConsThe job depended hugely on the manager and crew. Worked there two summers, the first was an engaged crew with friendships throughout. The second summer the manager did not handle situations well and it led to an unhappy crew which sometimes reflected poorly on the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore qualifications to move up. Employees can move up quick because their ability to do all of the jobs, but it doesn't mean they effectively lead a crew or have leadership skills.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The life of a burrito roller

ProsIf you like a repetitious life style and high standards for food with a upbeat enthusiastic culture than this is the place to be. Hard work will move you up fast.

ConsThe hours aren't great when you work your way up the latter.

hard but rewarding

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfree food on shift, compensation decent, delicious food, sustainability, overall co workers nice

Consnot much work-life balance, depends on managers (some work with your situation, others don't care about your sob story), can easily get injured (I hurt my wrists here), can lead to politics if one or more managers gossip.

I think they should ask every person's opinion before someone gets promoted to management....one of the managers can be charming at face value but talk so much behind your back

Advice to Senior Managementplease ask employees their thoughts before promoting someone

Great culture, but "start your career rolling" a little misleading

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat, positive culture. Even if all you're doing is rolling burritos, management invests in you, makes it as fun as it can be. People with bad attitudes don't stick around long, so the teams are really great.

ConsOpportunity of advancement is oversold. All-minority crew, including lots of smart, hardworking people, consistently got passed over for less-skilled people with:

1. White skin

2. College degrees.

3. No relevant experience, or time at the company

The idea of working your way up from the bottom was exciting, but it was disappointing to see all-star players get overlooked for less-competent people with the right skin color.

I say this, for what it's worth, as a white guy with a degree from a selective college. I was given opportunities I don't think I had earned, compared to some of the stellar people who worked there, and I saw this consistently during my time at CMG.

Advice to Senior ManagementUm, fix that last con. You guys have an amazing company, and amazing food, and it's a truly wonderful atmosphere. But forget about education and skin color, start promoting the people who work hard and make their teams happy and strong.

Excellence service and delicious food.

Crew Member (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThey only hire Ambitious Happy Smart Polite Respectful Honest Conscientious Presentable Curious Motivated Hospitable High Energy Infectiously Enthusiastic people.

ConsThe menu is tiny so you do the same things over and over.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up the windows along the food line.

Excellent company, good people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany authentically lives its values of making fresh food fast; It's demanding of its employees, but also equips them with the tools they need to grow.

ConsNot many growth opportunities for people who do not speak English.

Never stops

Take Out Specialist (Current Employee) Hialeah, FL

ProsChance to move up in management, raises every 6 months and great benefits

ConsToo much for for the pay and it never stops

Line

Line Worker (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Pros-Fast Paced
    -Time goes by fast
    - Decent Pay
    -Paid Lunch
    -Free Lunch

Cons-Many customers
    -Sometimes give you 4 hour work days and sometimes 10 hour work days.
    -Random hours

Worked for Chipotle? Contribute to the Community!