Chipotle

Chipotle Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Chipotle Co-CEOs Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Pros:
  • "free food (if you get a break during your shift), some people are cool"
    in 61 reviews
  • "Chipotle has great fresh food, providing a free meal to every employee each shift"
    in 55 reviews
Cons:
  • "Fast paced environment (for those who don't like that)"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Amount of work doesn't really equate to the amount that you are paid"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work your way up.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Chipotle

ProsGood amount of training and leadership shown. Get to strengthen skills dealing with working with others and handling customer service.

ConsMight have trouble if you do not have experience working in a fast paced environment. It can tend to be really busy around peak lunch and dinner hours.

Always Busy, Usually Fun

Crew Member (Current Employee)
Altamonte Springs, FL

I have been working at Chipotle part-time

ProsFree food every shift, flexible to work more hours/less hours

ConsHave to work 7 hours at a time with no break on front line.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy store has good management. One manager tends to slack of a lot but all the others are ideal models for me

So much opportunity!

Kitchen Manager (Current Employee)
Fayetteville, AR

I have been working at Chipotle full-time for less than a year

ProsYou get 30 minute paid breaks, that you're allowed to leave the building during, for every 5 hours worked. Free meals when you work, and 50% off when you're off. Being able to set high standards and only tolerate a team that will meet them. An amazing business model. CULTURE, CULTURE, CULTURE!! That's the best part.

ConsYou MUST be prepared to work, and work hard. Lots of hours, which is kind of a pro as well. The high standards are unforgiving and must be upheld to achieve restaurateur.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management really knows what they're doing. Keep up the great work! :)

Good when you don't have any experience

I have been working at Chipotle

Prospeople you work with are nice and they help you, you get paid well enough, its pretty organized as well

Consdoesn't help you grow, schedule is really wacky, its gets really crazy and you have to work really well under pressure.

Great place to work

I have been working at Chipotle part-time

ProsFree employee meals, very flexible schedule, great coworkers

ConsEntitled customers
Understaffed
Unpredictable hours
Inconsistent management

Getting the job done and enjoying it.

Cashier (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at Chipotle part-time for less than a year

ProsFree employee meal during shift
30 minute break
Great people to work with
Great customers to interact with
All employees love what they do.

ConsOnce on the schedule, it doesn't become very flexible. The schedule is set pretty much the same every week, so it's hard to pick up more hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe providing more opportunities to get higher up in management. Or allow employees to have a few more responsibilities.

Great management, hard working devoted employees excellent food.

Customer Service (Former Employee)
Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Chipotle part-time for more than a year

ProsI was well trained to perform my customer service role. i had respectful considerate managers.

ConsI iworked in a two floor dinning room and the bigest challenge was keeping it clean.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave two people performing customer service to keep the place spotless and all stations filled, dry and clean.

Wonderful company brought down by human failings

Crew Member (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Chipotle full-time for more than a year

ProsFirst, the food - you can feel great about the product you're selling, you won't have to tell your friends horror stories about how everything's REALLY made, and you'll be eating more free burritos than you can handle. Chipotle's menu is 100% solid.

If you appreciate elegance and efficiency, you'll find something new to appreciate every day. Chipotle has considered every detail of their store to maximize efficiency and avoid wasted hours, and it's a pleasure to watch this finely-oiled machine work. Working in a well-designed, attractive store helps maintain a positive attitude on the job, as well.

ConsIt all depends on your manager. There's many things I could mention, but the biggest issue, which ultimately drove me away from Chipotle forever, is the draining futility of trying to move up in your restaurant unless your managers want to help you. They will repeat the mantra that it's all up to you, that you alone choose your path, but that's simply false, and should be obviously false to anyone. That mantra is a way to dodge commitment to less-favored crew members and nothing more.

I switched restaurants about halfway through my 20 months with the company, and from then on I was stuck in limbo. My managers seemed content to trust my previously-learned skills absolutely when it would save them effort, but also seemed to lack faith in me when I talked to them about working towards promotion. I received little to no criticism on my work (in fact, only shallow praise) but apparently I still wasn't good enough. Nepotism can take hold very quickly in the high-stress environment of a restaurant, and unfortunately I have to conclude that's what happened to me. I saw less-qualified, less-committed crew members actively chosen (and "chosen" was a word my managers used, not me) for management development, even while I was brushed off with the patronizing idea that it was all up to me. In the end, I kept my mouth shut and just kept working for my $9/hr - an insulting wage for the hard work that crew members do.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn-store managers: Keep your promises. Communicate. If your crew wants to learn something new or try for a manager position, be frank with them about their prospects, and keep them updated. I would've been happier if my managers had simply told me I wasn't the right fit for their crew - but I assume they preferred to keep me around because I worked hard even when I was being exploited.

Corporate/high-level management: If you visit the same restaurant for multiple audits, and every single time the GM has failed to keep a promise to you, or failed to fix a known issue, you should realize that that's probably a sign of deeper dysfunction. If everybody is on their best behavior for you and you still see fundamental issues with the crew dynamic and their work ethic, realize that you're being lied to about the state of things. And, most importantly, listen to the crew. Talk to them alone, WITHOUT their managers present, and they might get the chance to tell you how they really feel. Don't be afraid of the idea that even GMs can fail - as I was told over and over, everyone is replaceable.

Working at Chipotle is a breath of fresh air

Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Current Employee)
Naperville, IL

I have been working at Chipotle part-time for less than a year

ProsUpbeat, fast paced environment. Attention to detail in cooking and everyone helps each other.

ConsI wash a lot of dishes. But this is to be expected, I am starting off as a prep/dishwasher.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep actively discussing company growth and employee potential for development. It is encouraging to learn of the opportunities wit Chipotle, and it gives me incentive to work harder each shift.

Very pleasant and fun environment to work at, also can be very busy.

Crew Member (Current Employee)
Goodyear, AZ

I have been working at Chipotle

ProsCo-workers are extremely friendly and welcoming to new hires. I personally am getting trained extremely well. Employees and manager are always very uplifting and cheerful, PLUS making people happy and smile brightens your day. Feeling proud about the food you are serving is a huge plus. Free lunch everyday and 50 % off if very nice to have .

Consit can get very busy and a little overwhelming but people will help you. Not enough hours and pay is not that great, but better than most fast food places.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know it gets really busy, but just take the time to get to talk and know new hires.

Worked for Chipotle? Contribute to the Community!

Chipotle Videos

Chipotle – Why Work for Us?

CULTIVATING FUTURE LEADERS START YOUR CAREER ROLLING One of the many reasons why Chipotle is unlike other fast food companies is the fact that nearly all of the leaders are promoted from our crew. Many restaurant… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chipotle reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chipotle CEO Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran. All 459 reviews posted anonymously by Chipotle employees.