Chipotle

Updated December 16, 2014
3.4

Chipotle Co-CEOs Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran
Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Pros
  • You get free food if you work and the income is a bit higher than most other places (in 120 reviews)

• You get one free meal the days you go working and 50% off when you not working (in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • Not paid enough for the amount of work expected to be done (in 17 reviews)

• Very fast paced, values can some times feel like they are in the way of productivity (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Proud of what you do, yet hungry for more.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at Chipotle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Fast-paced work environment
    - Co-workers feel like family
    - Exponential Self-growth and self-worth
    - Flexible hours
    - Easy to master

Cons

- Potentially hard to learn (There's a lot to balance once you become serious about this job. It's easy to master once you've learned it, but many find it difficult to develop the drive to learn and assert their abilities within a store)
    - Dependent on the team. You can't just come in and do a great job. If your team starts slacking, you start falling behind. It's just the way the system works, here.

If you really get into the Chipotle culture, you will find that stores are either run perfectly according to plan - inevitably phenomenal, best places to be - or someone's doing something wrong. Stores can be very prone to some people carrying others. Sometimes management may not schedule enough one-on-ones which, in Chipotle's environment, has terrible long-term consequences.

CONSIDER THIS: When you apply, your "expected pay" is taken seriously. If you shine in your interview, the hiring process will often involve a quick line of "You requested this amount of pay in your application, so we're going to pay you that." DO NOT request a low amount to look more appealing. I requested $2 pay above what I knew their standard to be and was hired within a half hour of my first interview.
    Take this job seriously. It's very serious work that will train you well.

Good environment

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Citrus Heights, CA
    Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Citrus Heights, CA

I have been working at Chipotle

Pros

People care, sport each other, treat each other like family, move up within company, no experience the better, now hiring people 16+ instead of 18+.

Cons

I've worked at 2 chipotles, one in New York and one in California. There are no words to explain how different each environment is. No one Chipotle is the same from experience, the food might be the same and all the recipes. So, the Chipotle you apply for might be the best or it might be the worse of the worse, only experience can tell you that.

Stop taking advantage of hard working people. Let your KM's do their jobs please (food orders, tundra, inventories, running BOH, and don't put them to close/open a station because that is not their job, that is for crew. And please use the new training msterial, it's there for a reason.

My work experience at chipotle was a learning one as well as a joyous opportunity. At chipotle your considered family.

Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member and Prep in Fairfield, CT
    Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member and Prep in Fairfield, CT

I worked at Chipotle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Natural Foods with local farms and free ranged animals with grass fed diets. That's amazing your getting Good fast food for a descent price. Chipotle is raising the standards for fast food.

Cons

Chipotle tends to be unorganized as a company in general sometimes to be totally honest.

Organize better and make sure the people that you promote to manager are actually benefiting and making positive changes for the company and crew not just themselves.

Great Place to work

I have been working at Chipotle

Pros

Fun, Great work environment, Meet awesome people, Opportunity to move up, challenging, Get to learn new skills, good pay, popular place.

Cons

You always get burnt. The customers get annoying sometimes. Very fast paced environment. Van't work more than 8 hours in a day.

It's a lot of fun but a lot of work.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Chipotle

Pros

if you give them a 2-week notice they will schedule around your needs, and even if you haven't given a notice, they will try to get you out as early as possible the day of. may sound a little bad but chipotle makes sure they are always one crew member extra so not much harm done.
    you do everything so you don't get bored while working
    grow into a family.

Cons

too many hours, I am still a teen and I get scheduled 3- 12 hour shifts a week (11-11).. of course time goes by very quickly but you only get a 45 minute break and that's not enough.
    if your schedule says 11am-4pm, don't expect to be out of there till 5 or 5:30
    managers give you work to do and then they tell you to do something else right after and then say "vamos" 30 seconds later.

you should think of the crew members also, because the managers can sit and talk while they shouldn't be and nothing happens to them even if the line is out the door but crew has to stay in line or they get yelled at. managers have more flexible break times. instead of asking us "what do you think the answer is", just tell us what the answer is and ask us to work on remembering it.

I love it, great opportunity for growth very quickly!

Current Employee - Service Manager in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Service Manager in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Chipotle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Became a kitchen manager in 3 months and service manager in 6 months about to get apprentice. Free food whenever you work.

Cons

Sense of urgency and time management are a must if you don't have those things it's not the job for you.

Great Company to Grow With

Former Employee - Crew Member in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in San Diego, CA

I worked at Chipotle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, free food, steady hours, and good training.

Cons

low pay at first, but you can grow alot.

focus on moving people up.

Crew Member

Current Employee - Cashier and Crew Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier and Crew Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Chipotle

Pros

Great experience overall. Its Fun ! You learn how to prepare and serve food. Your not just working in one position your doing many things.

Cons

If you cannot multitask. This is not the job for you.

I love them!

Current Employee - Crew Member in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Chipotle

Pros

They are always happy
    I stay busy
    It is a great learning experience

Cons

Nothing is wrong with this company. I like to work there and I am excited to prolong my experience at Chipotle

Great food, great atmosphere, but it really comes down to your other coworkers

I have been working at Chipotle

Pros

I had a fun time training and learning the ropes, as soon as rush hour hits around lunch and dinner times it is just go go go. I really like how they promote from within because everyone that is leading everything knows the struggles of even the beginning lineman.

Cons

Bad attitude coworkers, some people don't want to be here or are only here to make ends meet. This is not the right attitude for hiring! You are spending so much time every day around your coworkers, why would you want to be in a toxic work environment.

Pay attention to good workers and toxic ones, don't let the bad ones turn the good ones sour.