Chipotle

Updated December 16, 2014
3.3

Chipotle Co-CEOs Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran
Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Pros
  • You get free food if you work and the income is a bit higher than most other places (in 120 reviews)

• You get one free meal the days you go working and 50% off when you not working (in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • Not paid enough for the amount of work expected to be done (in 17 reviews)

• Very fast paced, values can some times feel like they are in the way of productivity (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Highest highs, lowest lows

Former Employee - Kitchen Manager In Training
    Former Employee - Kitchen Manager In Training

I worked at Chipotle

Pros

Friendly coworkers, innovative interviewing process, feeling of being fully involved with a team

Cons

Deceitful management promotion program, overworked, potential lack of breaks, high turnover

Care more about your employees. High turnover is not a good thing. Give breaks unequivocally.

Good environment

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Citrus Heights, CA
    Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Citrus Heights, CA

I have been working at Chipotle

Pros

People care, sport each other, treat each other like family, move up within company, no experience the better, now hiring people 16+ instead of 18+.

Cons

I've worked at 2 chipotles, one in New York and one in California. There are no words to explain how different each environment is. No one Chipotle is the same from experience, the food might be the same and all the recipes. So, the Chipotle you apply for might be the best or it might be the worse of the worse, only experience can tell you that.

Stop taking advantage of hard working people. Let your KM's do their jobs please (food orders, tundra, inventories, running BOH, and don't put them to close/open a station because that is not their job, that is for crew. And please use the new training msterial, it's there for a reason.

It's a lot of fun but a lot of work.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Chipotle

Pros

if you give them a 2-week notice they will schedule around your needs, and even if you haven't given a notice, they will try to get you out as early as possible the day of. may sound a little bad but chipotle makes sure they are always one crew member extra so not much harm done.
    you do everything so you don't get bored while working
    grow into a family.

Cons

too many hours, I am still a teen and I get scheduled 3- 12 hour shifts a week (11-11).. of course time goes by very quickly but you only get a 45 minute break and that's not enough.
    if your schedule says 11am-4pm, don't expect to be out of there till 5 or 5:30
    managers give you work to do and then they tell you to do something else right after and then say "vamos" 30 seconds later.

you should think of the crew members also, because the managers can sit and talk while they shouldn't be and nothing happens to them even if the line is out the door but crew has to stay in line or they get yelled at. managers have more flexible break times. instead of asking us "what do you think the answer is", just tell us what the answer is and ask us to work on remembering it.

Great Place to work

I have been working at Chipotle

Pros

Fun, Great work environment, Meet awesome people, Opportunity to move up, challenging, Get to learn new skills, good pay, popular place.

Cons

You always get burnt. The customers get annoying sometimes. Very fast paced environment. Van't work more than 8 hours in a day.

Horrible management and unrewarding, but you will learn good work ethic.

Current Employee - Cashier and Crew Member in Newbury Park, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier and Crew Member in Newbury Park, CA

I have been working at Chipotle part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will learn a lot, friendly coworkers, free meals, paid breaks. They are willing to work with school schedules. Potential to become manager in less than a year easily. You will always be working, there is no time spent sitting around being bored.

Cons

Pay is minimum. Night managers are not good and you will almost never get out on time. Managers regularly forget about breaks and you will end up taking 50 minutes of breaks in the last 2 hours of your shift - even if you remind them. Management also will not take responsibility for their actions, and instead blame problems on crew members. Crew members have been told they have to come in anyway when they call in sick or else risk being written up. They are horrible with time off requests and often they will tell you it's your problem and you need to find someone to cover for you even if you request a month in advance. Schedule changes at least once during the middle of the week and no one ever says anything about it, leading to angry phone calls from management when you don't show up for a day of work you were originally scheduled to have off.

There is a reason the turnover is so high, and it's not the crew members' faults. The management is the worst I have ever had to deal with. Management needs to do their job properly without breaking labor laws! More people need to be hired, as we are regularly understaffed and it is impossible to get someone to cover work for a day simply because there are no people able to cover a shift. Training needs to be done more frequently, there needs to be less people who only know how to do one job, and more people who are able to do most things in the store - this opens up more people to be able to cover for breaks or to cover for shifts when people are sick or need a personal day.

Proud of what you do, yet hungry for more.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at Chipotle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Fast-paced work environment
    - Co-workers feel like family
    - Exponential Self-growth and self-worth
    - Flexible hours
    - Easy to master

Cons

- Potentially hard to learn (There's a lot to balance once you become serious about this job. It's easy to master once you've learned it, but many find it difficult to develop the drive to learn and assert their abilities within a store)
    - Dependent on the team. You can't just come in and do a great job. If your team starts slacking, you start falling behind. It's just the way the system works, here.

If you really get into the Chipotle culture, you will find that stores are either run perfectly according to plan - inevitably phenomenal, best places to be - or someone's doing something wrong. Stores can be very prone to some people carrying others. Sometimes management may not schedule enough one-on-ones which, in Chipotle's environment, has terrible long-term consequences.

CONSIDER THIS: When you apply, your "expected pay" is taken seriously. If you shine in your interview, the hiring process will often involve a quick line of "You requested this amount of pay in your application, so we're going to pay you that." DO NOT request a low amount to look more appealing. I requested $2 pay above what I knew their standard to be and was hired within a half hour of my first interview.
    Take this job seriously. It's very serious work that will train you well.

I love them!

Current Employee - Crew Member in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Chipotle

Pros

They are always happy
    I stay busy
    It is a great learning experience

Cons

Nothing is wrong with this company. I like to work there and I am excited to prolong my experience at Chipotle

Great food, great atmosphere, but it really comes down to your other coworkers

I have been working at Chipotle

Pros

I had a fun time training and learning the ropes, as soon as rush hour hits around lunch and dinner times it is just go go go. I really like how they promote from within because everyone that is leading everything knows the struggles of even the beginning lineman.

Cons

Bad attitude coworkers, some people don't want to be here or are only here to make ends meet. This is not the right attitude for hiring! You are spending so much time every day around your coworkers, why would you want to be in a toxic work environment.

Pay attention to good workers and toxic ones, don't let the bad ones turn the good ones sour.

Don't bother...

Former Employee - Team Member in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Team Member in Brea, CA

I worked at Chipotle part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee meal, simple uniform.

Cons

training was awful, inexperienced managers, constantly picked favorites, they couldn't keep employees long enough, had to work off the clock, unreasonable expectations, terrible, inconsistent hours.

Consider following the training plan. On my first day I was introduced to the menu in 5 minutes and showed how to do the tortilla station in 15 then I was by myself making the orders for the dinner rush with no time to ask questions just had to hope I was doing things right. I didn't get signed off on anything until they had their area managers come in and then the general manager finally showed me all the things I didn't know in 45 minutes after being their for 3 weeks. I constantly struggled to do my best but was over looked because people just looked after themselves instead of working as a team. Even the assistant managers were more concerned about their job instead of taking 5 minutes to show me what I was doing may be wrong or showing me the more efficient way of doing things. Finally once I did get trained on salsa my trainer could barely do the job themselves and the work load was unrealistic because with two people we still didn't finish so how was I supposed to do it myself. I was then quickly trained on register because they were low on people and I was trained their in 10 minutes and then thrown into the lunch rush. It was ridiculous. If you are okay with getting thrown into the lions den with no weapons in a meat suit then go for it other wise go to a job that respects their employees and works as a team. Not a place that is only concerned with money and their own growth not everyones.

Employee values held up to standards

I worked at Chipotle

Pros

Created a welcoming culture with a work hard play hard mentality

Cons

Hard to move around within corporate.Very structured with little room for creativity