Chipotle Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014

3.4

Chipotle Co-CEOs Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran
Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Pros
  • The perks of getting free food during your shift was amazing (in 82 reviews)

• The company allows 1 free meal to its employees per shift worked (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Not paid enough for the amount of work expected to be done (in 13 reviews)

• Fast paced environment (for those who don't like that) (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible

I worked at Chipotle

Pros

Paid break free food on lunch break and 50% off when off some co workers cool

Cons

Poor management will wrongfully terminate also curse while business is open and very rudely to customers

Need more management training

Get to know the culture, and teach it to others.

Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chipotle full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best parts of this job had to do with people and my hands on training; I was able to easily make friends with nearly everyone on my crew, even managers, but beware in doing this as it can cause some conflicts of interests (e.g. insubordination issues, even if joking, with managers, etc.) I got to know many of the regular customers and their orders by heart and seeing them always made my day a little better. I also learned some very useful kitchen skills such as food safety, proper knife handling and care, cutting various types of food. A vast knowledge of the menu and food, allergens and the sustainable practices will be very helpful when on the line and dealing with customers.

Cons

My first and foremost complaint is the lack of recognition of real skill and desire to advance- upon hire I was promised these opportunities ("you could make kitchen manager in six months, if you try hard enough-" and boy did I try, in vain!...) Priority to train and promote someone hired at the same time as me was placed above my own advancement, possibly because they had more kitchen experience than I did (but in my interview, I was told that prerequisite skill, education and job history would not be a determining factor in my success... this was obviously not the case.) Management can be conflicting and, at times, very hypocritical; it is hard to finish a task when two people are telling you to do two very different things. There was definitely some favoritism in the management and crew as well and this would cause resentment among and crew and create a negative atmosphere. Even the district manager had, at most, 2 meetings with me during my lengthy 5+ months of employment, and those were in my first month or two, only. There is never a dull moment at Chipotle, unless you're in throughput and there is no one in line- in which case you are literally just standing around, waiting to serve food. Often times those who are great at customer service end up stuck in the front of the house, sweating as they work feverishly on the line scooping rice and beans, and burning their hands on tortillas, while those with seniority are given the freedom to roam the kitchen looking for odd tasks, or take their time cutting bell peppers. The amount of work you do, even considering the generous increase in starting wage compared to minimum wage, is simply not worth it. I had no free time, I was called in on almost all of my days off and usually felt too guilty not to come in- I ended up constantly picking up the slack of low performers, staying to help when I didn't need to, and busting my behind for a company that, when given the opportunity to promote me, gave the opportunity to someone else, equally or less deserving, and never even considered me.

Focus more on the people, and on the culture. Do not underestimate the stresses of the front line- dealing with customers face to face and constantly calling for food to a grill cook who, more likely than not, can either not hear you or doesn't respond, can get as stressful as something like running grill... Reward your top performers for their effort and acknowledge their support, or they will turn on you and get tired of it, as I did. Reprimand low performers and make their insubordination a real priority, rather than pushing others to pick up their slack and treating the situation lightly, or they will continue to tread all over the crew! And finally, I reiterate, THE FRONT LINE IS KEY. I cannot even count the number of customer complaints that *I* had gotten when on the line by myself, doing everything I could to maintain my sense of urgency and quality, when others refused to hop on the line to help, even though these things were not *my* fault! Incentives like 'employee of the month,' 'best customer service,' 'top performer' awards and more might be a good starting place to actually motivate your crew members to be successful and employ some of their hidden 13 characteristics... and don't forget that as a manager it's YOUR job to EMPOWER your crew!

They pay you $10 dollars and hour and give you a free meal and many other perks.

Current Employee - Crew Member  in  Carle Place, NY
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Carle Place, NY

I have been working at Chipotle part-time for less than a year

Pros

The workplace is awesome. Your managers are always in a good mood. They train you well. The food tastes awesome. It is a very nice place to work at.

Cons

It is really heard to get more than 35 hours a week.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard Work

I have been working at Chipotle part-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee Meal, Paid Break, 2 free Chipotle Shirts, and good smells

Cons

Wet floors, constantly on my feet, loud employees, a dishonest behavior

Check the security cameras more often.

Great Company To Work For

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Denver, CO

I worked at Chipotle full-time

Pros

The Corporate office is a laid back environment where suits and ties are discouraged. There are fun social events hosted every month for the employees to get to know eachother outside of work. Steve Ells is an amazing person who cares about his employees and their health. They are understanding and flexible and want to help you succeed.

Cons

The training was poor and inefficient. I was not told what time to come in, or what to expect, or when I would end my day. It's hard to get a hold of people if you have questions and the office space is small which makes everything echo and you can lose your train of thought while at work.

Great food and great coworkers, but the pay is too little for the pressure.

Current Employee - Crew Member  in  West Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Crew Member in West Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Chipotle part-time for more than a year

Pros

The free food with every shift is amazing
    Prepping is a lot of fun
    The crew I worked with was like a family. Everyone got along incredibly well.

Cons

Extremely high pressure
    Pay isn't great considering the stress your under to always live up to the standards and time expectations
    Advancement isn't as fast or easy as they suggest when they're hiring you

It was great learning experience.

Former Employee - Line Worker  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Line Worker in Orlando, FL

I worked at Chipotle part-time for less than a year

Pros

One of the best things about working here, is the free food you get at lunch, also the amazing staff.

Cons

If you are not ready for a REALLY fast paced work place, this isn't the right place for you.

Be more patient with new employees.

Great first job!

Current Employee - Crew Member  in  Saint Cloud, FL
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Saint Cloud, FL

I have been working at Chipotle part-time for more than a year

Pros

Usually a great crew and most people get along because they have a list of qualifications an applicant needs before entering the company, many will be very compatible

Cons

sometimes the pay doesn't feel like enough for the amount of effort you put in, and you go home smelling like onions and grill.

Worth it if you don't mind the grind

Current Employee - Cashier and Crew Member  in  Kildeer, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier and Crew Member in Kildeer, IL

I have been working at Chipotle part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, upbeat working environment, free meals when clocked in/ 50% off on your days off, the day can fly by, and managers are flexible with your scheduling

Cons

Training has gone downhill/ I started with the company 2 years ago and each generation of new hires has gotten progressively worse training, managers don't know how to communicate (I've worked in 2 locations and this has been true of both), managers play favorites (also true of both locations)

Area managers need to pay closer attention to the managers that are in their stores, and either train them better or replace them

it is okay

Current Employee - Chipotle  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Chipotle in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Chipotle part-time for less than a year

Pros

free food! nice co workers fun process learning new things. i was happy i got hired so quickly and the pay was pretty okay.

Cons

very fast moving, manager doesnt give much attention to you, a lot of people i know coming in and bugging and harassing me while i work

more breaks, managers should be more friendly

Worked for Chipotle? Contribute to the Community!