Chipotle Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
3.4

Chipotle Co-CEOs Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran
Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Pros
  • Paid break free food on lunch break and 50% off when off some co workers cool (in 116 reviews)

• You get one free meal the days you go working and 50% off when you not working (in 89 reviews)

Cons
  • Not paid enough for the amount of work expected to be done (in 17 reviews)

• If you are not ready for a REALLY fast paced work place, this isn't the right place for you (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun, Intense, Changes you for the better

Current Employee - Service Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Service Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Chipotle part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a very fun and rewarding environment. You are usually surrounded by great people and great managers. There are lots of opportunity here if you plan on moving up in the company. Amazing culture depending on which store you work at. If you are looking to learn leadership skills, this is the place to do it.

Cons

Sometimes you have to deal with people who don't want to be there to work. Pay is not bad but could always be better. Takes a lot of time to move up in the company (if you want your own store).

Management is great. Best place I've ever worked for.

Great burritos

I worked at Chipotle (less than an year)

Pros

Free food was a bonus, decent pay, good cooking experience

Cons

Smelled delicious after work, but it gets old fast

Increase store hours. I worked in a college town where we missed tons of late night business

Part-time job in college, Crew Member

Former Employee - Crew Member in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Champaign, IL

I worked at Chipotle part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- the store is usually busy on campus, which means there's always something to do, never a dull moment!
    - found a few coworkers who were especially cool, we had a lot of fun playing at work (joking, talking, etc)
    - shifts can be traded easily if you can't make it to work last-minute
    - hourly wages started above minimum wage, even with no experience
    - management was friendly and caring, as long as you're hardworking and nice to them, they treat you well

Cons

- clothes get GROSS, everything smells like burritos, have to shower immediately
    - sometimes you get scheduled to close one night (11:30pm or so) and open the next morning (7am or so)
    - i know some coworkers didn't get along with the management, and they hated it at work, ended up quitting

One of the best jobs ever!

Former Employee - Crew Member in Perrysburg, OH
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Perrysburg, OH

I worked at Chipotle part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, high morale, and fun customers. People move up rather fast in the company. Free employee meal, and 50% off when you're not working. The biggest pro is the delicious food!

Cons

There are only 2 shifts, you're either opening or closing. Lunch rush and dinner aren't any fun.

Just because someone is great at their job does not mean they are manager material.

Terrible

Current Employee - Take Out Specialist
    Current Employee - Take Out Specialist

I have been working at Chipotle full-time

Pros

You eat for free. You start off at 8.00 instead of 7.25. There are some pretty cool workers.

Cons

Its too much work for 8.00 an hour. You go most of your days without breaks, theyre not required to give you breaks. All the management except maybe two are mexicans and cannot speak good english. They dont know how to talk to their employees. Theres a lot of double standards and favoritism. Theres a female manager that flirts her way out of everything. Ive never known a manager that opened a store 30 mins late and kept their position. The management is lazy, but has the nerve to tell their employees they are moving to slow. They help who they wanna help, or should i say the mexicans help the mexicans while everyone else is left to fend for themselves. When you go to the head management to let them know whats going on, they do absolutely nothing about it, then they wonder why they stores are goin to crap and they keep losing people. You also never get off on time. So dont ever plan anything for when you get off work because you will always have to cancel or delay. Even the customers say they work us like slaves. Im still employed here but thats because right now i have no choice, if i didnt have kids to provide for i would have been quit. Oh yea when you first start, they will trick you by being nice and so forth on your first day maybe week, but after that week is up, everything goes to crap

Learn how to talk to your employees and stop treating everyone differently. Learn how to schedule people the right way that way people arent always getting off late. Do more work, stop being so lazy.

This company is great

Former Employee - Crew Member/Grill Cook in Walnut Park, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member/Grill Cook in Walnut Park, CA

I worked at Chipotle part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free food, great benefits, and you climb the latter fast

Cons

Having a boss over your shoulder telling you to move faster when you're already moving fast.

Don't over work Your employees, don't forget that chipotle is about having fun.

It was alright working there but it can be hot working on the line all day

Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member in West Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member in West Sacramento, CA

I worked at Chipotle part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is a little higher than minimum wage, the food is good and made from scratch unlike other "fast food" restaurants.

Cons

The hours you work are typically all over the place, and sometimes you don't get many hours at all.

Compensation could be better, especially when you consider the cost of the food and what the customer pays for it.

First job, didn't enjoy it and management was not very helpful, but at least it gave me some experience

Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member in Citrus Heights, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member in Citrus Heights, CA

I worked at Chipotle part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free meal every shift, decent discount when off-duty, friendly customers, learned something new every day, the ability to feel confident about the food you serve, loose dress code, at the time my pay was $1 above minimum wage

Cons

Low hours, poor training. Managers were very inflexible, coworkers weren't very encouraging. Feet hurt after every shift.

Unfortunately I left this company involuntarily, and I believe it was due to poor training. I would suggest that management allow crew-members to learn EVERY task and practice it over consecutive shifts before deciding that they are incapable.

I hated working here

Former Employee - Crew Member in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Culver City, CA

I worked at Chipotle part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to grow and promotes all employees
    You can get discounts the higher you grow in the company the more you get.

Cons

if you want a college degree don't become a manager this will be your life. There was too much favoritism in my location. You have to work for your hours for the most part you get crappy hours consider yourself lucky if you 16 hours. On my last day working here, I was sexually harassed by a manager and I told him to freaking stop he thought it was okay for some reason. Only managers receive benefits and crew does not get many.

I feel that

Stressfully Satisfying

I have been working at Chipotle part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at one of the busier Chipotle's in the area has been very very stressful. It's jam packed all the time and sometimes you don't know how you put up with it. At the same time I've really felt like I've gotten some serious work experience here. There are days where I feel like, Hey I've tackled a day at Chipotle, there's nothing I can't do. And I have very good relationships with most of my crew mates and management.

Cons

The high volume can really get to you sometimes. There are days where the line just won't go down no matter what you do, ELMA or no ELMA. There are of course some sour grapes in the mix coworker-wise that make the work a little bit tougher. And there is a certain level of favoritism in terms of working your way up that magical Chipotle chain.

I would advise management to be a little more selective in terms of who gets that initial promotion from crew to KM and to give a little more consideration to those who can't currently put in 40+ hours every week. There are some solid crew members who are in college that would be a big benefit to the management train. Especially as they graduate and could be a bigger asset to the company.