Chipotle

Updated November 20, 2014
3.4

Chipotle Co-CEOs Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran
Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Pros
  • Paid break free food on lunch break and 50% off when off some co workers cool (in 112 reviews)

• You get one free meal the days you go working and 50% off when you not working (in 91 reviews)

Cons
  • Not paid enough for the amount of work expected to be done (in 17 reviews)

• If you are not ready for a REALLY fast paced work place, this isn't the right place for you (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for in general

Current Employee - Cashier and Crew Member in Swampscott, MA
    Current Employee - Cashier and Crew Member in Swampscott, MA

I have been working at Chipotle part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pretty good pay if you actually work a lot

Cons

The management is absolutely horrible and unprofessional, service managers who got promoted don't do anything right and allow their employees to be treated disrespectfully by their own cousins! YES cousin! Not appropriate for manager to hire her own cousin(s), yup cousins, in the first place! Also, no conistenceny.. You can have 30 hours on week and go down to 19 the next week. If you're not appreciated by manager you will be working the weekends EVERY weekend. Not fair

Stop promoting people who aren't manager material

Fun at first, but completely exhausting and surrounded by favoritism

Current Employee - Cashier and Crew Member
    Current Employee - Cashier and Crew Member

I have been working at Chipotle part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free food on break, good food, okay pay

Cons

Management can be cruel, long hours, no understanding of sick days or requested time off

Be more understanding of employees needs

Like working hard and getting nowhere?

Former Employee - Crew Member in Amherst, NY
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Amherst, NY

I worked at Chipotle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility of schedule, friendly workplace atmosphere, managable tasks

Cons

Unprofessional lower management, consideration for promotions once every three months, and unfair working conditions for cooks on grill station, dishonest communication

Invest in your grill-masters, they are cooking your product. Do not overwork them during dinner and lunch rushes. Instead, Hire more people to be on grill!

Odd and frustrating

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Chipotle

Pros

Free food and great co workers.

Cons

Manager who have no managerial experience. Don't know how to manage simply.

Train managers instead of assuming they'll become them. I see lots of favoritism.

stressful

Former Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Havertown, PA
    Former Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Havertown, PA

I worked at Chipotle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You don't need a college degree for this job and still make some good money if you're willing to work hard.

Cons

the company offers what seems to be an awesome career and for some it may be but it takes a lot of hard work and extreme amount of stress. In the end the balance between the work and stress is not worth it. Corporate likes to add more responsibility and challenges to you as a manager and expecting you to show results. Its not always unrealistic but it is completely abusing your personal life because when they say "50 hours a week" they know they'll get way more out of you for no extra pay.

great job at empowering your lower people but figure out a way to make your managers appreciate their worth. The CEO's made an obscene amount of money by "empowering" us to work hard and create a "sustainable" work environment.

Crew

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Chipotle

Pros

Good free food and some good people to wor with

Cons

Not everyone was willing to come in and work

Okay

Former Employee - Crew Member in Dania Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Dania Beach, FL

I worked at Chipotle part-time (less than an year)

Pros

One free meal per shift

Cons

They people I had to work with

Try letting your employees have more experience before you make them managers.

Very easy

I worked at Chipotle

Pros

Interviewed by the GM and assistant, the interview was great because from the questions we started talking about other things, got a call on the same day for a second interview

Cons

There's really no challenges, just be confident

Just have a bubbly personality!

Assistant manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Colonial Heights, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Colonial Heights, VA

I worked at Chipotle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the people I worked with. The pay was great and they do promote within. You get free meals during ur break which is great. You could be a manager within 6 months.

Cons

The promoting within is great but they don't promote the most qualified person. The hours I was working was 90 hours a week would of been great if I was an hourly but since I was salaried I only got paid for 40 hours. A lot of the other managers and area manager didn't care about nobody except themselves. Chipotle is a great company but has the wrong leaders representing them. You are overworked and under appreciated there is a lot of favoritism and unprofessional. Very disfunctional.

Please start truly caring about your position and your team. Help out and don't over work them. I believe their needs to be training classes to give managers a better understanding of having a business mindset.

Stressful, labor work, but a good company.

Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member Food Prep As Well in Weston, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member Food Prep As Well in Weston, FL

I worked at Chipotle part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture of the restaurant is amazing! Every manager is super nice is usually willing to help. They promote the idea that you always have to opportunity to move up, but it usually doesn't happen for most. I got stuck at "kitchen manager in training" for months but my store also has a lot of issues that needed fixing. You get a raise every 6 months from 5-15 cents based on your performance. They offer ok insurance benefits. Better than none at all I guess.

Cons

Stressful... very streeesful. On the line is a constant never ending line of customers. Gets very hot. The training sucks. I dont consider myself having training at all for the FOH, I learned by asking questions. BOH is a bit different. You learn from videos. The closing is rigorious... LOTs of cleaning to do. We close at 10 and FOH doesnt get out till 11;45, BOH lastest is 1am... There is no paid cleaning crew so everyone has to get down and dirty to scrub.

Better training for new staff and as well for managment. Learn to schedule properly too. Alternate opening and closing employees. Its only fair right? same for weekends and sundays.