Chipotle Reviews

Updated September 30, 2014
3.4

Chipotle Co-CEOs Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran
Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Pros
  • Paid break free food on lunch break and 50% off when off some co workers cool (in 110 reviews)

• You get one free meal the days you go working and 50% off when you not working (in 92 reviews)

Cons
  • Not paid enough for the amount of work expected to be done (in 15 reviews)

• If you are not ready for a REALLY fast paced work place, this isn't the right place for you (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

it is what it is , best fast food in all america

I have been working at Chipotle part-time

Pros

good food , fresh meat , food with integrity

Cons

schedules , minimum wage , too much work ,

My experience at Chipotle was horrible.

Former Employee - Crew Member  in  Lakewood, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Lakewood, CA

I worked at Chipotle part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some pros are meeting new people and that's about all.

Cons

Your hours reflect on favoritism.
    The managers are always mistraining employees.
    They make fun of the people being interviewed.
    Neglect problems in the restaurant.

Upper management is always in the office and they never come out to supervise the staff. Always walk into the office and see them applying make up and chit chatting. They need to understand that we are all equal and just because you wear a Polo Shirt doesn't mean you're better than anyone.

Former Employee - Line Bit Ch  in  Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Line Bit Ch in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Chipotle part-time for less than a year

Pros

The food tastes good. The restaurant is very VERY clean. I knew I was serving something that I would be okay with eating.

Cons

Everyone was super mean to me when I first started working there. Near the end, everyone was very nice to me, but it was like they were expecting me to quit right away and when I didn't, they made an effort to be kind. The general manager is incredibly inexperienced. The hours are long, the pay is not nearly enough to compensate for all the health issues you will have later in life from chronic illness you will attain while working there. They also have very unrealistic expectations for what needs to be done and the time frame by which it must be completed. I also saw a lot of racism. During my time there, 4 people were fired. All 4 were people of color. All of the management was white, even though there was a Latina lady there who had more experience than the general manager. Finally, I am still crazy puzzled by the fact that there were three interviews for such a shi tty job. Like, you realize this is a fast food place, right? You need bodies. It doesn't matter how good or bad those bodies are, you just need people to fill space. Three interviews is excessive for such a dead end place.

All of the people promoted to management were friends of the manager. It has nothing to do with experience or ability. That is unacceptable. Also, create a more friendly atmosphere.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work, but A LOT of work!!

I have been working at Chipotle

Pros

-Very friendly and cool coworkers.
    -Free food during lunch break, 50% off while not working.
    -Room for growth.
    -Helpful coworkers.
    -Clean and, for the most part, organized work environment.

Cons

-Random work hours. (Ex: One day you'll work 4 hours, rest of the week off, then you come back to a 8+ hour shift)
    -You are always hustling, working as hard and as fast as you can.
    -Lack of work place communication.
    -Unbalanced work loads. I feel like all positions should have the same amount of work, but some positions are worked 10 times as hard as others and yet still recieve equal pay!

Communicate with crew more in regards to schedule changes.

Great company

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Chipotle

Pros

Fun Atmosphere. Encouraging environment. This is not like most other jobs which can be easily and relatively quickly get tiring and boring. Chipotle does a great job at keeping its atmosphere a fun and exciting one.

Cons

Can get tiring. I won't lie. Chipotle Is a job which does require effort. All in all chipotle doesn't really have any negatives. Well, not to me at least.

Keep up the good work.

good place start as a first job .

Current Employee - Crew Member  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chipotle part-time for less than a year

Pros

co workers are cool and the managers bad thing about it it they timed for everything you have to be quick almost like running going up and fourth.

Cons

teamwork and effort . alot a good things in the company for example free food that the best part.

Current Employee - Team Member  in  West Hempstead, NY
    Current Employee - Team Member in West Hempstead, NY

I have been working at Chipotle part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Team, Family Like,Free food on break

Cons

Hours. It can change weekly.

Fun but also a lot of worked compared to most QSR jobs.

Current Employee - Cashier and Crew Member  in  Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Cashier and Crew Member in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Chipotle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Being around people
    Constantly working makes the day go by faster

Cons

Lots of work depending on location
    Not the highest paying job

Everything is good, could create more diverse pay per employee

Good ideals and product.

Former Employee - Kichen Manager  in  Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Kichen Manager in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Chipotle full-time for more than a year

Pros

The product is top-notch and easy to identify yourself with.

Cons

Management structure is poor and goals are constantly shifting as attempts are made to meet them, normally right before goals are completed. Benefits are sub-par for those not in management and leads to extreme amounts of turnover.

Get to know the culture, and teach it to others.

Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chipotle full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best parts of this job had to do with people and my hands on training; I was able to easily make friends with nearly everyone on my crew, even managers, but beware in doing this as it can cause some conflicts of interests (e.g. insubordination issues, even if joking, with managers, etc.) I got to know many of the regular customers and their orders by heart and seeing them always made my day a little better. I also learned some very useful kitchen skills such as food safety, proper knife handling and care, cutting various types of food. A vast knowledge of the menu and food, allergens and the sustainable practices will be very helpful when on the line and dealing with customers.

Cons

My first and foremost complaint is the lack of recognition of real skill and desire to advance- upon hire I was promised these opportunities ("you could make kitchen manager in six months, if you try hard enough-" and boy did I try, in vain!...) Priority to train and promote someone hired at the same time as me was placed above my own advancement, possibly because they had more kitchen experience than I did (but in my interview, I was told that prerequisite skill, education and job history would not be a determining factor in my success... this was obviously not the case.) Management can be conflicting and, at times, very hypocritical; it is hard to finish a task when two people are telling you to do two very different things. There was definitely some favoritism in the management and crew as well and this would cause resentment among and crew and create a negative atmosphere. Even the district manager had, at most, 2 meetings with me during my lengthy 5+ months of employment, and those were in my first month or two, only. There is never a dull moment at Chipotle, unless you're in throughput and there is no one in line- in which case you are literally just standing around, waiting to serve food. Often times those who are great at customer service end up stuck in the front of the house, sweating as they work feverishly on the line scooping rice and beans, and burning their hands on tortillas, while those with seniority are given the freedom to roam the kitchen looking for odd tasks, or take their time cutting bell peppers. The amount of work you do, even considering the generous increase in starting wage compared to minimum wage, is simply not worth it. I had no free time, I was called in on almost all of my days off and usually felt too guilty not to come in- I ended up constantly picking up the slack of low performers, staying to help when I didn't need to, and busting my behind for a company that, when given the opportunity to promote me, gave the opportunity to someone else, equally or less deserving, and never even considered me.

Focus more on the people, and on the culture. Do not underestimate the stresses of the front line- dealing with customers face to face and constantly calling for food to a grill cook who, more likely than not, can either not hear you or doesn't respond, can get as stressful as something like running grill... Reward your top performers for their effort and acknowledge their support, or they will turn on you and get tired of it, as I did. Reprimand low performers and make their insubordination a real priority, rather than pushing others to pick up their slack and treating the situation lightly, or they will continue to tread all over the crew! And finally, I reiterate, THE FRONT LINE IS KEY. I cannot even count the number of customer complaints that *I* had gotten when on the line by myself, doing everything I could to maintain my sense of urgency and quality, when others refused to hop on the line to help, even though these things were not *my* fault! Incentives like 'employee of the month,' 'best customer service,' 'top performer' awards and more might be a good starting place to actually motivate your crew members to be successful and employ some of their hidden 13 characteristics... and don't forget that as a manager it's YOUR job to EMPOWER your crew!

Worked for Chipotle? Contribute to the Community!