Chipotle

Chipotle Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Chipotle Co-CEOs Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Pros
  • The perks of getting free food during your shift was amazing (in 82 reviews)

• The company allows 1 free meal to its employees per shift worked (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Not paid enough for the amount of work expected to be done (in 13 reviews)

• Fast paced environment (for those who don't like that) (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't do it!!!

Crew Member (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsFree meals for the employees

ConsVery unrealistic goals per shift, cliquish management, low wages, high stress

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more fair with promotions. Allow all crew members to reap rewards of Restaranteur designation

UNPROFESSIONAL. The whole company is a bad joke, that only the managers can laugh at.

ProsThere is not one positive thing about this company

ConsWorkers are rude, most tell you how to do things the wrong way.
    Language barriers
    Unrealistic expectations of new employees
    Work load. Pretty much impossible to get done in their time frame
    Rude, inconsiderate customers (people really have no class, they leave trash 1 foot away from the trashcan, even though they walk by it to leave)

Advice to Senior ManagementTRAIN new employees. They claim they dont have time but then complain about how the person does the job. You cannot expect someone to know how to do a job if they have never done it before.

Bad, bad, bad

Crew Member (Former Employee) Rockford, IL

Proszero, zero, zero, zero zero

ConsYou are treated like a slave and worked to the bone. If you are part time, you get NO break and they fail to tell you that. They don't care if you are going to school because they schedule u at ridiculous hours. They don't know how to make a proper schedule. The customers are AWFUL and snooty and up your butt about their precious portion sizes yet the other crew members and managers are hovering over you about portion sizes. My co workers were rude, also. They don't know how to train anyone the right way and they just throw you to the wolves.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat employees like robots. Don't say one thing and turn around and say something different. Don't lie to people and hire managers who actually care about people that work there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chipotle's Work Environment is Horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are no pro's working at a company like this.

ConsThe Management is horrible and the workers are treated unfairly. There always yelling at you for the simplest things and lack the patience to teach you . You work late hours into the night which makes no sense because if the store closes at 9 pm there shouldn't be any reason to be getting out of there at 1 am in the morning. The Apprentices think they run the entire store and tell you to clock out and still work OFF THE CLOCK , which is VERY ILLEGAL . They also try to brain wash you into there way of thinking and try to make you live and breath Chipotle. The workers and team leaders are a bunch of losers who cant get jobs anywhere else because they have no skills and are all tattooed from head to toe !! That place sucks and I cannot believe they are still in business . Oh and being a restaurateur store is a joke !

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to have more training and have an open line with corporate to make this company work the way its supposed to.

learned a lot

Crew Member (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIf you want to learn about customer experience, and want to move up fast, this is the place for you. I've been working for Chipotle for a year, and I liked it! Great co-workers, learned a lot as it being my first job. This job helped me learn to take criticism good. Free food on paid breaks, or half off discounts on days off. Good hours and great pay.

ConsWhen you move up you see a lot of the things that are wrong, and what you thought were right. This company goes for caring for their people but in reality they don't. They care more about their money, labor, and customers. My General Manager doesn't care anymore and doesn't do anything anymore. They expect you to learn fast, and if you make a mistake more then once you're fired. And if you don't attend meetings then you're also fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementGeneral Manager needs to be more productive. She needs to help more, but rather stay in the office "doing paper work". Leaves her workers on bad days, stopped helping us succeed, acts more like a boss then a leader. ATL and upper management need to understand that sometimes our personal lives are more important than Chipotle, and our lives will never be just Chipotle.

Chipotle Response

Jul 10, 2014Recruitment Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I will be sure to pass along both your positive and constructive comments. We know these will help us improve in the future. -Jen

Learned/Worked A-LOT... Little pay

Cashier and Crew Member Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThere's no other place to learn about customer service better than Chipotle.
    Company cares about you.
    Free food.
    Payed 30 mins. break.

ConsCo-workers ALWAYS complaining.
    1 week off only per year, even though this is a fast food joint.
    MOST IMPORTANTLY: you do SO much and get payed horribly.
    They started to pay newer employees (teens) with no experience more than me (I've been there for more than a year).
    It's literally all about the customers. We have to kiss their butts 24/7 and no matter how wrongly the customers treat us, we'd always be the bad guys and get written up for it.
    They expect too much. You have to do 1-on-1's a lot and development journals. I had no time for that. I wanted to come in, work, leave. Simple as that.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the employees right. Increase pay much more for employees who've been with you guys for more than a year. Don't take the customer's side because negative web comments only gets those mean customer's exactly what they want. Don't expect too much from us.

Good place with the right management.

Crew/Cashier (Former Employee) Redding, CA

ProsFun environment, fast paced, easy work. Other than that, you have your regulars that you build relationships with. One free meal a day. and 50% off one item after your free meal. Opportunity for raise around every 6 months or so.

ConsSome customers can be a handful, but you get that pretty much anywhere you work. With poor management, you won't be trained properly but you'll be badgered for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep bad managers out. They bring down training, morale, everything about the experience.

Integrity, Teamwork, Empowerment

Crew Member (Former Employee) Amherst, NY

Prosclean facilities, upward mobility, flexible scheduling, pleasant atmosphere, great management.

Conscommunication problems, agency problems amongst management, upper-level management decisions which affect the workplace adversely

Friendly people but disorganized management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Marlborough, MA

ProsI didn't stay at Chipotle long, but the people who worked there were very friendly and supportive. They worked hard, worked together, and did their best to have a good time. Starting pay was over minimum wage and there's supposed to be a lot of room for advancement (I didn't stay long enough to see that in action).

ConsThere's a lot of pressure to pursue Chipotle as a career, which I had anticipated slightly through the interview process, but found a bit overwhelming once I started working there. I worked at a store being overhauled by corporate, and the management was abysmal. I was told to show up for training three times, and sent home the first two (after waiting at least a half hour for the manager to show up each time). My "training" consisted of watching videos available to the public on the corporate website about Chipotle's corporate responsibility to food, community, and animals. I was subsequently put on the front line with no training or instructions during a rush and expected to function properly and efficiently with no experience.

I have heard that management at that particular store is better now that corporate has left, so I don't think that this is representative of every training experience, but it is something I'd bear in mind were I new to the company.

horrible

Grill (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFree Lunch breaks, good food, good people, integrity

Conshypocritical managers, no room for advancement, slave labor, very low pay for the type of work necessary, some customers are very rude,

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better managers

Worked for Chipotle? Contribute to the Community!