Chipotle Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

3.4

Chipotle Co-CEOs Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran
Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Pros
  • The perks of getting free food during your shift was amazing (in 82 reviews)

• The company allows 1 free meal to its employees per shift worked (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Not paid enough for the amount of work expected to be done (in 13 reviews)

• Fast paced environment (for those who don't like that) (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

It's Just a Job

Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member  in  Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Chipotle part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free meal with every shift, half off any meal any day, bottled beverages half off all the time, plenty of chances to move up if you really want to

Cons

They don't listen to their employees very well, management is all related practically, the pay is fine for that type of job but the raises are laughable, certain people are listened to over others

Listen to your employees because to them every concern is a valid concern and if you just ignore them, that brings down morale and self-confidence. Don't hire or promote someone just because their relative says they're a good worker and gives pointers on what to say to you to impress you. Just wanting a job, raise, or promotion isn't good enough. Also, once considered for promotion don't sit there and hold their hand until they pass the test for the promotion. Instead, actually train them until you can confidentially say that they've learned it, then have them take the test.

Big-Minded CEO, Small Minds Elsewhere

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Chipotle full-time for less than a year

Pros

The CEO - Steve Ellis seems like a genuine guy with a great mind and heart. I was proud to work for him.
    The Restaurants - Nicely designed, cool industrial theme, and hip music.
    The Menu - Focused, fresh, simple, and tasty. This helps keep inventory costs down and the food fresh.
    The Ethics - Chipotle supports a food system that eliminates or reduces the harms it causes.
    Growth - Its a growing company with opportunities to move up from the bottom.

Cons

My Immediate Boss - He was a minimal worker who belittled his employees and played small-minded games pitting people against each other. He was good a playing power politics, so he kept his job despite these pitfalls. The fact that he was also a serial wife-cheater gives him zero extra credit.
    The Judge Judy Co-Workers - I'm a friendly, genuine guy who was thrown into a pack of wolves. In my restaurant, I was working with a lot of hurt people who spent their energies hurting others, like the people on many daytime TV programs.
    The Expectations - The company expected people to move faster than human beings normally move, and this caused stress in the restaurant and harmed the customer experience. I don't like sweaty, obviously hurried people cooking and making my food, and that was the unfortunate reality at the restaurant I worked at far too often.
    The Rio Grande Gap - The English-speaking managers talked badly about the Spanish-speaking workers; and the reverse was true. This reality created yet more petty dysfunction that took focus away from positive goals.

Be an industry leader by implementing a strong anti-bullying in the workplace program to make Chipotle a more attractive place to work for talented people, including the sensitive. Respecting and honoring everyone - your boss, the people you boss, your customers, and the people you see on the street- is always a sensible business idea.

Have employees engage in a steady study of what it means to be ethical. The values of the CEO were MIA at the Chipotle I worked at. My boss couldn't care less about ethics, and this fact harmed the integrity of the company and a big reason why I left. Being a boss means being a leader; and all true leaders inspire by example, by walking their talk.

Remember that you're managing/teaching human beings, not robots designed to be productive workers. But this advice goes to many companies, not just Chipotle. The future belongs to the companies that make their robots more like people, not the other way around.

Put less salt in your food - a Chipotle burrito has over 2,000mg of salt, and many health experts say that keeping the salt under 2,000mg/day is a sound notion.

By the way, I take responsibility and apologize for any harms I created and/or added to while I was employed there. I'm responsible for my choices, no matter what other people are doing.

Great company but a few problems on the store level. Find managers who actually know how to write a schedule!

Former Employee - Crew Member and Kitchen Manager Trainee  in  Anaheim Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member and Kitchen Manager Trainee in Anaheim Hills, CA

I worked at Chipotle part-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunities for advancement. If you have the time and dedication and are halfway decent at your job there is usually a chance to move up into management positions--and they treat their managers very well.

Cons

A few of the managers were not very flexible. I transferred to a different college and only got one option for a class schedule, so when the managers said I had to choose between work or school I chose school and was forced to quit.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Long demanding shifts, constantly moving and always something needing to be done.

I have been working at Chipotle

Pros

Long hours, great healthy food, free meals/clothes great people culture that works very well if being used correctly.

Cons

No recognition, management doesn't communicate, stressful tense environment. Becomes very draining if everyone is not on the same page

Communicate more with crew members. They do the blunt of the everyday duties, they need to feel like what they are doing is important and is making a difference.

An OK part-time job

Current Employee - Crew Member  in  Fullerton, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Fullerton, CA

I have been working at Chipotle for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers, managers, company values, teamwork based

Cons

Difficult to move up, Stressful, very demanding job for almost min wage

chipotle

Current Employee - Crew Member  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Chipotle part-time for less than a year

Pros

time goes by fast when busy

Cons

not enough hours given to employees.

be clearer in direction

its an OK restaurant.

Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Chipotle part-time for less than a year

Pros

i like the experience i build their as an employee as a first job.

Cons

they way the manager reacted through every thing was poorly and she should have handle things a little more differently and respectful, and i feel the employees should love their jobs and would want to wake up every morning wanting to go positive to work not the manager putting their employees down.

i feel you manager should treat their employees fairly and equally.

"Culture"

Former Employee - Crew Member
    Former Employee - Crew Member

I worked at Chipotle

Pros

when i first started I had a great outlook on the company and my prospects within the company, that quickly changed once i learned the inner workings on how to be succesful

Cons

culture, too much favoritism, pay not up to par with work you have to do, have to kiss up to gain on promotion, young management makes stores seem high schoolish

promote based on merit not on who you like, maybe have different measures on what you look for in management instead of following "the culture" because sometimes the place feels more like a cult than a restaurant

Loving life at Chipotle!

Current Employee - Chipotle Crew Member  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Chipotle Crew Member in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Chipotle part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are very friendly, everyone is interested in helping you thrive and they are flexible about requesting off work

Cons

Everyone has an opinion on how you should be doing things and some even contradict each other. Portion sizes are strict and you can end up getting repremanded even though the customer asked for extra. The training program is not sufficient

I know the training book is new, but its horribly organized! It should be organized by shift: Opening, mid-day, and closing. I still don't have a lot of knowledge in the book purely because I have not been scheduled to open. Also, our pay is a bit low for the amount of revenue my store does. My boss brags about our average daily revenue being 11,000 or more. Why is it that we make $8.75? Thank you!

Chipotle Response

Jul 10, 2014Recruitment Communications Specialist

Thank you so much for your review. We will be sure to pass these comments along to our training team. We hope to make your experience even better in the coming months. Keep up the good work! Thanks ... More

Decent Place To Work At

Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member
    Former Employee - Cashier and Crew Member

I worked at Chipotle part-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers were really nice, atmosphere and the food, pay was decent, organic and hormone free food, my restaurant was very convenient in location. You get free lunch when you're working and half off when you're not, you are recognized when we perform your job well.

Cons

Doesn't give you 40 hours a week, upper management can be a pain sometimes and the work can be hard. You're expected to know everything right off the bat, took me some time to get used to all the stress. Manager would yell at us if things weren't done perfectly, felt like I was being rushed.

Managers need to be better trained,

Chipotle Response

Jul 10, 2014Recruitment Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value your comments and will pass them on to our leadership teams. Hopefully we can use these to improve ourselves even more in the future. Thanks ... More

Worked for Chipotle? Contribute to the Community!