Chipotle Reviews

Reset
2.4
Chipotle Co-CEOs Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran
Steve Ells & Montgomery F. Moran

Pros
  • All the free food you want on your 15 minute break (in 120 reviews)

• free meal when you work at 50% when you're not working (in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • Not paid enough for the amount of work expected to be done (in 17 reviews)

• Fast paced environment (for those who don't like that) (in 28 reviews)

1. Tiring job

Current Employee - Grill Cook in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Grill Cook in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Chipotle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid 12 bucks an hour which was higher than minimum wage in SF. Free lunch

Cons

Very hard job working on the grill. The night shift griller had to cook all the meet and while waiting for the meat to cook had to be washing dishes or something of that caliber, The griller basically the cook had to make all the rice and clean the grill and the entire kitchen. The griller was a one man job which was really hard.

Advice to Management

Should make the griller a two man job because it is too much work for one person to do.

2. burrito maker

Former Employee - California in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - California in San Francisco, CA

Pros

theres nothing better then the free chipotle. they always manage the shift schedule pretty well. besides the free food there isnt much else.

Cons

chipolte always appears to be busy. i worked downtown so the dinner rush was always ridiculous. management wasnt help as they could have been.

Advice to Management

i was never taught about the certain background info you needed to know about the company. always said they would teach me but they never wanted to.

3. Crew Member

Former Employee - Crew Member in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Chipotle (More than a year)

Pros

-free meal is provided during work breaks, saves having to spend money on food elsewhere

Cons

-managers unrealistically expect you to complete tasks in short time frame when they can't perform at that speed themselves

Great Team, Great Food, Garbage Management and unhealthy work tools!!

Current Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Chipotle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For food service the Teams and Food are way above par. Yes the work is hard, but he perks are better than other food service. Work hard and have fun..

Cons

1. Resturanters are only in it to CYA- they will stab anyone in the back to keep the company car. Every one that I talked to bragged about not having to work after they got the promotion (and we only saw ours 1 time in 10 months) 2. GMs(9 of the 10 i met) managed from the office cameras not the floor. In one store the manager would call the front line from the other line to complain about what they saw on the camera rather than come out and coach or help the team. 3. They preach it is all about the ' People, Food and Culture' but from a management point of view it is all about making sure no one is able to do there job as then they believe they would be replaceable (and they are as they don't have a clue as they were trained by people trying to protect there own jobs the same way) 4. Lack of real accountability, in the year i worked there as a GM I never once met my boss, but I did meet 5 Resturanters (and if they were good GMs at one time, getting promoted cured them of that) If I owned a company I would not hire any of them to even scrub garbage cans) 5. Everything is hand cut. This is a future Class Action Lawsuit waiting to happen. Every prep person that I have met has either shooting arm pain or CT due to repetitive motion with duller and duller knifes. This is the 21st century, us a Hobart or pay for it for knowingly and willingly injuring your Team.

Advice to Management

You are not reinventing food service, the big boys did the same stuff you did 20 years ago, learn from them or suffer. 1. Get slicers or you will continue to cripple you employees. 2. Standardize your Resturanter certifications, and re certify them every 6 months, you will be surprised. 3. Conduct monthly online tests for Team and Management. 4. Raise the desks in the offices and remove the chairs. Get your managers back on the food lines and sales floor. 5. Make it really about the Food, People and Culture not about reports, cameras, stopwatches and scared managers.

Big-Minded CEO, Small Minds Elsewhere

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Chipotle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The CEO - Steve Ellis seems like a genuine guy with a great mind and heart. I was proud to work for him. The Restaurants - Nicely designed, cool industrial theme, and hip music. The Menu - Focused, fresh, simple, and tasty. This helps keep inventory costs down and the food fresh. The Ethics - Chipotle supports a food system that eliminates or reduces the harms it causes. Growth - Its a growing company with opportunities to move up from the bottom.

Cons

My Immediate Boss - He was a minimal worker who belittled his employees and played small-minded games pitting people against each other. He was good a playing power politics, so he kept his job despite these pitfalls. The fact that he was also a serial wife-cheater gives him zero extra credit. The Judge Judy Co-Workers - I'm a friendly, genuine guy who was thrown into a pack of wolves. In my restaurant, I was working with a lot of hurt people who spent their energies hurting others, like the people on many daytime TV programs. The Expectations - The company expected people to move faster than human beings normally move, and this caused stress in the restaurant and harmed the customer experience. I don't like sweaty, obviously hurried people cooking and making my food, and that was the unfortunate reality at the restaurant I worked at far too often. The Rio Grande Gap - The English-speaking managers talked badly about the Spanish-speaking workers; and the reverse was true. This reality created yet more petty dysfunction that took focus away from positive goals.

Advice to Management

Be an industry leader by implementing a strong anti-bullying in the workplace program to make Chipotle a more attractive place to work for talented people, including the sensitive. Respecting and honoring everyone - your boss, the people you boss, your customers, and the people you see on the street- is always a sensible business idea. Have employees engage in a steady study of what it means to be ethical. The values of the CEO were MIA at the Chipotle I worked at. My boss couldn't care less about ethics, and this fact harmed the integrity of the company and a big reason why I left. Being a boss means being a leader; and all true leaders inspire by example, by walking their talk. Remember that you're managing/teaching human beings, not robots designed to be productive workers. But this advice goes to many companies, not just Chipotle. The future belongs to the companies that make their robots more like people, not the other way around. Put less salt in your food - a Chipotle burrito has over 2,000mg of salt, and many health experts say that keeping the salt under 2,000mg/day is a sound notion. By the way, I take responsibility and apologize for any harms I created and/or added to while I was employed there. I'm responsible for my choices, no matter what other people are doing.

7. Line member

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Chipotle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome co-workers and great discount!

Cons

Rush hours are intense and you can get hurt easily if you aren't careful.

Gave me the best opportunity of my life

Former Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Chipotle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Advancement opportunity, place for self motivated individuals

Cons

Personality is the most important thing. Even over skills.

9. Most amazing customer service experience deliver by me.

Current Employee - Server in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Server in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Chipotle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free burritos and beautiful people!

Cons

very fast pace, restless job

Advice to Management

keep restaurant clean.

Showing 8 of 1,446 reviews