Chiro One Wellness Centers

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014
2.4

Dr. Stuart Bernsen

Pros
  • Also have a benefit of free chiropractic care which has improved my health overall (in 14 reviews)

• Free chiropractic care but mostly very good Chiropractors (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work at tables to make sure marketing team meets their goals (in 4 reviews)

• I told them that I have integrity and can no longer work for a company that I have seen first hand do this to people (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Go in expecting what you would get from any other medical office administrative/technician job.

Former Employee - Chiropractic Technician

I worked at Chiro One Wellness Centers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company has great values and really spoke to me during my first week of training. I loved the idea of working for people that really value their employees. The pay is not bad considering the requirements for the job- a high school diploma or GED. The split shift is nice if it is your only job and you live close by so you can utilize the midday breaks. Other employees are incredible- and the patient relationships I made in just two months are ones I wish I could keep for much longer! The doctor I had the opportunity to work with seems genuinely passionate about the field and was very enjoyable to work for. The new bonus program also seems like a great way for techs to earn extra money (it hasn't been implemented yet, but it looks awesome, so maybe don't take this too much to heart).

Cons

Was told this was a full time, 40 hour/week job with some overtime. While some clinics probably have this, my clinic did not. It is frustrating to be hired for a full time job and get 30-35 hours some weeks when you are hourly- we count on this money to pay bills! Just be upfront during the interview process about this. The company seems to have high turnover and many employees I have spoken with from different clinics seem unhappy. This wasn't the case for me- my clinic and coworkers were awesome, as well as the patients, and I had a great experience. Just know that may not be the case for all the clinics. The training is paid and full time, which is awesome, but seems pretty out of touch with everything that goes on in the clinics. I felt as though it was a waste of time once I had to work with actual patients in the clinic. For example, if a procedure is only supposed to take about 25 minutes in the clinic, there is no point in practicing a script during training that takes an hour.

There is a disconnect that was very evident from when I began working. My time here was very short, so it didn't affect my experience. I truly enjoyed working in my clinic and at the company. However, I can see where some things could be frustrating if I stayed longer (the lack of hours, for example), so I suggest at the very least being completely up front with those you are hiring. I would also suggest getting feedback from your current employees- specifically the lower level technicians and CERs. The overall vibe I got from the ones I have interacted with is not in line with the beautiful picture I was painted during my first week. It would be beneficial to reach out and take their thoughts into account.

Out of touch execs

Former Employee - Chiropractic Technician in Yorkville, IL
    Former Employee - Chiropractic Technician in Yorkville, IL

I worked at Chiro One Wellness Centers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I learned the benefits of chiropractic.

Cons

It was all about the money, not the people.

Listen to the workers in the office.

It is what you make of it

I worked at Chiro One Wellness Centers full-time

Pros

Free chiropractic care, paid training and helping the patients

Cons

poor work-life balance, no room for growth in the company

Customer Engagement Representative

I have been working at Chiro One Wellness Centers

Pros

Chiropractic care. Awesome team members.

Cons

No work -life balance, solicitation of services in a gym or walgreens 6 days a week, poor management, no room for growth, etc.

Take responsibility for downfall

Employees are not respected

I worked at Chiro One Wellness Centers (more than an year)

Pros

Free chiropractic care. The employees are good people trying to do good, but they're under poor management.

Cons

The execs of Medulla want you to believe that they're now in the capable hands of business leaders with real business experience. Sadly the truth is Chiro One created the investment group to purchase their own company in a last ditch effort to eliminate debt they were drowning in. The head of HR took this opportunity to change employee benefits for the worst while blaming it on the "new owners". A new employee can expect to earn one vacation day in their first year and only five the next year. The company has also been in a pay freeze for a year. The employee turnover is shockingly high and it's common for new hires to quit in their first few weeks because they either feel neglected or lied to. You also get written up for anything they don't like.

Try practicing what you preach. Listen to your employees. Take care of your employees. Happy employees work harder and stay longer.

Run far away from this place. Read my story and what happened to me.

I worked at Chiro One Wellness Centers

Pros

Good salary for anyone off the streets of you're desperate its good cash with benefits

Cons

Working as a customer engagement representative I had to deal with multiple complaints from people I signed up who I was told to give my phone number - my personal phone that the company for not pay for .....to call the patients to confirm calls and reschedule. Two of the complaints were similar as they claimed to have been sent a bill after their initial visit for a large amount of money - when I addressed this to my boss they lied to me and said that they were crazy customers- then I signed yo my own mother in because my numbers for the month were low( they give you a quota of 30 people who actually show up to their initial appointment) and one week later she was billed 1500 for X-rays that are "included" in the 20$ offer. I saw these with my own eyes and I called my regional manager up right away who insisted it was a misunderstanding. I was so infuriated with the fact that this happened to my own mother and I was essentially doing this to other people. I told them that I have integrity and can no longer work for a company that I have seen first hand do this to people.... And my own mother at that.

Try making an honest earning and not trying to lure people in and think that they're going to be cured. I believe in the benefits of chiropractic to an extent but you play with people's emotions health and wallet.

Reincorporated as "Medulla, LLC," but will continue to be a train wreck.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Chiro One Wellness Centers full-time

Pros

Good people, for the most part. Lots of passion about the benefits of chiropractic care (of which there are some). Free chiropractic care for all employees.

Cons

Single-minded focus on chiropractic being the solution to every health problem. Complete lack of business knowledge. No actionable ideas for the future. Founding partners were so busy patting themselves on the back for the amazing work they were doing (i.e. how they were "changing the world"), they didn't see their company fall apart right under their noses. When they finally acknowledged there was a problem, they blamed other people (never themselves) and laid off almost half their employees...while they continued to open new clinics, despite the fact that the majority of their current ones couldn't turn a profit. If you start working for these guys (whatever the company name ends up being), learn to lie and tell them they're right, no matter what they do...or prepare to be blamed for problems they create.

Acknowledge you don't understand business, and start trusting the people you hired who do. Make changes to your marketing, your message and YOUR CLINICAL PROCEDURES. Or get used to bankruptcy. It might end up being your new home.

Leaving was the best decision I ever made

I worked at Chiro One Wellness Centers full-time

Pros

Nothing good to say about this company except that I learned a lot about wellness from the Chiropractor I worked with. Loved all the patients.

Cons

- Although it was a 4 day work week, there were times when we worked more than 40 hrs.
    - No more than 4 PTO every year because we got Fridays off. However, that wasn't our choice and we couldn't always revolve emergencies or sickness around those Fridays.
    - No room to grow. I was told when I first got hired that we would have opportunities to make more money by becoming a team lead after two years and get an automatic 5k raise. However, when my review came around, they claimed they never said such thing and they no longer wanted to have a team lead position available.
    - Process of getting new patients through the door is horrible. They have their "marketing" team sign people up at whatever times they want. They have no idea what other patients the clinics have. For example, the techs in each clinic would get new patients to come in but we know how to schedule them so we can spend some time with them for their first exam and give them good experience. However, the marketing team doesn't care that they schedule 7 different patients at the same time because all they care about is the money they get for each patient to sign up/come in for first appt and the management expects us to give each new patient the best care possible. Really? No sense of team work.

Learn to care more about your employees than money and fancy cars.
    The entire senior management need to learn their own company values. I don't think they really know what they mean.

They can run but they can't hide!

Former Employee - Billing, Marketing, Finance in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Billing, Marketing, Finance in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Chiro One Wellness Centers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everything I used to think about the company I worked for is no longer the case because t is all smoke and mirrors. It had gotten to the point that when people asked me where I work, I was genuinely embarrassed to say "Chiro One" I have never seen more greed, egotism, nepotism, and deception. It is like a "shell game" with this company every single day, and business took quite a hit after some of the Insurance companies that Chiro One was billing were audited.

Cons

When the ship starts sinking, its time to jump in the rowboat as fast as possible, paddle fast and furiously and come up with a new strategy. The company just sold it's management group to a company called "The Medulla Group" the same day Chiro One auctioned off many of their assets, which was the morning of Friday, July 18, and the remaining employees were told they would be starting their first day with the new company, formerly known as Chiro One Ltd. but still going by the name Chiro One, on Monday, July 18. (All of this information is available to the public, as well as the information available through Google and Crain's Business which I highly encourage you to search.

Keep in mind the month of July, as it is a very significant month for Chiro One. It was just last year, in July of 2013, the owners were celebrating. Ernst & Young named Chiro One Wellness Centers its Midwest and it's CEO Entrepreneur Of The Year in the Healthcare category, marking the first time the prestigious award has gone to a chiropractic services provider. This is the Chiro One's third year as a finalist and first as a winner.

I would imagine the award is forever tarnished after having been given to a company that was fully aware of the direction it was headed 12 months ago. They did, however, put all those "chiropractic adjustments" to good use so they could stand up straight with head held high and walk on stage to accept the award in front of much more worthy and legitimate contenders. At the very least and at long last, the other finalists have finally got a bit of vindication.

Would you like to know about the way the company handles their finances and how fairly they deal with compensation? Please do yourself a favor and Google the Crain's article entitled "What Went Wrong with Once Fast Growing Chiro One" for the complete behind the scenes story about what is going on behind the curtain. All of the financials, the class action suit for unpaid wages moving forward by the Certified Technicians that work in every closed and existing Chiro One clinic, and the real story about Chiro One is there for all to read "in black and white". Also notice how Chiro One refused to comment and give their side of the story in the article, which is very telling in and of itself.

The bottom line is, there are so many companies you could work for. If your personal integrity is intact, do yourself a huge favor and keep walking. Find a company that is on the up and up and is worthy of YOU!

They decided to wage a losing war against their employees.

I worked at Chiro One Wellness Centers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Their vision: Chiropractic care has amazing benefits and spreading that with the world is wonderful. I really became a believer in this branch of health care. They had a great healthcare plan for those who could afford it as well.

Cons

Major downsizing. Poor financial management. Unlimited spending without thinking about long term consequences. Prefers outside hires from unrelated fields over employees who would be good candidates for promotion. Focus on "branding" and "scripting" more than changes in the healthcare system and patient needs. First took away my ability to earn bonuses, then downgraded me from salary to hourly and cut my hours. I had to threaten a lawsuit because of the harassment I got for being pregnant (I was getting final warning notices for missing work due to regularly scheduled prenatal appointments, was made to clean the men's toilet base up until I gave birth pregnant and got verbal warnings for sitting down occasionally during contractions... I blame them for my baby being premature). They have fired plenty of people for being sick or pregnant (or having sick kids).

Grow up.