Chiro One Wellness Centers Reviews

Updated April 22, 2015
71 reviews filtered by

Employees are not respected

I worked at Chiro One Wellness Centers (More than a year)

Pros

Free chiropractic care. The employees are good people trying to do good, but they're under poor management.

Cons

The execs of Medulla want you to believe that they're now in the capable hands of business leaders with real business experience. Sadly the truth is Chiro One created the investment group to purchase their own company in a last ditch effort to eliminate debt they were drowning in. The head of HR took this opportunity to change employee benefits for the worst while blaming it on the "new owners". A new employee can expect to earn one vacation day in their first year and only five the next year. The company has also been in a pay freeze for a year. The employee turnover is shockingly high and it's common for new hires to quit in their first few weeks because they either feel neglected or lied to. You also get written up for anything they don't like.

Advice to Management

Try practicing what you preach. Listen to your employees. Take care of your employees. Happy employees work harder and stay longer.

Run far away from this place. Read my story and what happened to me.

I worked at Chiro One Wellness Centers

Pros

Good salary for anyone off the streets of you're desperate its good cash with benefits

Cons

Working as a customer engagement representative I had to deal with multiple complaints from people I signed up who I was told to give my phone number - my personal phone that the company for not pay for .....to call the patients to confirm calls and reschedule. Two of the complaints were similar as they claimed to have been sent a bill after their initial visit for a large amount of money - when I addressed this to my boss they lied to me and said that they were crazy customers- then I signed yo my own mother in because my numbers for the month were low( they give you a quota of 30 people who actually show up to their initial appointment) and one week later she was billed 1500 for X-rays that are "included" in the 20$ offer. I saw these with my own eyes and I called my regional manager up right away who insisted it was a misunderstanding. I was so infuriated with the fact that this happened to my own mother and I was essentially doing this to other people. I told them that I have integrity and can no longer work for a company that I have seen first hand do this to people.... And my own mother at that.

Advice to Management

Try making an honest earning and not trying to lure people in and think that they're going to be cured. I believe in the benefits of chiropractic to an extent but you play with people's emotions health and wallet.

Leaving was the best decision I ever made

Former Employee - Chiropractic Technician
    Former Employee - Chiropractic Technician

I worked at Chiro One Wellness Centers full-time

Pros

Nothing good to say about this company except that I learned a lot about wellness from the Chiropractor I worked with. Loved all the patients.

Cons

- Although it was a 4 day work week, there were times when we worked more than 40 hrs.
    - No more than 4 PTO every year because we got Fridays off. However, that wasn't our choice and we couldn't always revolve emergencies or sickness around those Fridays.
    - No room to grow. I was told when I first got hired that we would have opportunities to make more money by becoming a team lead after two years and get an automatic 5k raise. However, when my review came around, they claimed they never said such thing and they no longer wanted to have a team lead position available.
    - Process of getting new patients through the door is horrible. They have their "marketing" team sign people up at whatever times they want. They have no idea what other patients the clinics have. For example, the techs in each clinic would get new patients to come in but we know how to schedule them so we can spend some time with them for their first exam and give them good experience. However, the marketing team doesn't care that they schedule 7 different patients at the same time because all they care about is the money they get for each patient to sign up/come in for first appt and the management expects us to give each new patient the best care possible. Really? No sense of team work.

Advice to Management

Learn to care more about your employees than money and fancy cars.
    The entire senior management need to learn their own company values. I don't think they really know what they mean.

Reincorporated as "Medulla, LLC," but will continue to be a train wreck.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Chiro One Wellness Centers full-time

Pros

Good people, for the most part. Lots of passion about the benefits of chiropractic care (of which there are some). Free chiropractic care for all employees.

Cons

Single-minded focus on chiropractic being the solution to every health problem. Complete lack of business knowledge. No actionable ideas for the future. Founding partners were so busy patting themselves on the back for the amazing work they were doing (i.e. how they were "changing the world"), they didn't see their company fall apart right under their noses. When they finally acknowledged there was a problem, they blamed other people (never themselves) and laid off almost half their employees...while they continued to open new clinics, despite the fact that the majority of their current ones couldn't turn a profit. If you start working for these guys (whatever the company name ends up being), learn to lie and tell them they're right, no matter what they do...or prepare to be blamed for problems they create.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge you don't understand business, and start trusting the people you hired who do. Make changes to your marketing, your message and YOUR CLINICAL PROCEDURES. Or get used to bankruptcy. It might end up being your new home.

They can run but they can't hide!

Former Employee - Billing, Marketing, Finance in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Billing, Marketing, Finance in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Chiro One Wellness Centers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everything I used to think about the company I worked for is no longer the case because t is all smoke and mirrors. It had gotten to the point that when people asked me where I work, I was genuinely embarrassed to say "Chiro One" I have never seen more greed, egotism, nepotism, and deception. It is like a "shell game" with this company every single day, and business took quite a hit after some of the Insurance companies that Chiro One was billing were audited.

Cons

When the ship starts sinking, its time to jump in the rowboat as fast as possible, paddle fast and furiously and come up with a new strategy. The company just sold it's management group to a company called "The Medulla Group" the same day Chiro One auctioned off many of their assets, which was the morning of Friday, July 18, and the remaining employees were told they would be starting their first day with the new company, formerly known as Chiro One Ltd. but still going by the name Chiro One, on Monday, July 18. (All of this information is available to the public, as well as the information available through Google and Crain's Business which I highly encourage you to search.

Keep in mind the month of July, as it is a very significant month for Chiro One. It was just last year, in July of 2013, the owners were celebrating. Ernst & Young named Chiro One Wellness Centers its Midwest and it's CEO Entrepreneur Of The Year in the Healthcare category, marking the first time the prestigious award has gone to a chiropractic services provider. This is the Chiro One's third year as a finalist and first as a winner.

I would imagine the award is forever tarnished after having been given to a company that was fully aware of the direction it was headed 12 months ago. They did, however, put all those "chiropractic adjustments" to good use so they could stand up straight with head held high and walk on stage to accept the award in front of much more worthy and legitimate contenders. At the very least and at long last, the other finalists have finally got a bit of vindication.

Advice to Management

Would you like to know about the way the company handles their finances and how fairly they deal with compensation? Please do yourself a favor and Google the Crain's article entitled "What Went Wrong with Once Fast Growing Chiro One" for the complete behind the scenes story about what is going on behind the curtain. All of the financials, the class action suit for unpaid wages moving forward by the Certified Technicians that work in every closed and existing Chiro One clinic, and the real story about Chiro One is there for all to read "in black and white". Also notice how Chiro One refused to comment and give their side of the story in the article, which is very telling in and of itself.

The bottom line is, there are so many companies you could work for. If your personal integrity is intact, do yourself a huge favor and keep walking. Find a company that is on the up and up and is worthy of YOU!

They talk the talk but don't walk the walk!

Former Employee - Billing Department in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Billing Department in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Chiro One Wellness Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good PTO and fringe benefits. Great vision and mission statements.Most of the docs are passionate about their field.

Cons

They don't live up to the hype. They talk a good game about the vision and mission but it is poorly executed. The management team in my department don;t know the basics about their own field! They don't give a crap about their employees , only the bottom line which is why they are in the financial crisis they are in. Everyone in my department is overworked and underpaid which is going to get worse since they just laid off more people!

Advice to Management

If you started caring as much about your people as you do your patients the company would be in a better situation. There are huge internal issues that can be fixed easily if processes and procedures were actually followed and implemented correctly.

They decided to wage a losing war against their employees.

I worked at Chiro One Wellness Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Their vision: Chiropractic care has amazing benefits and spreading that with the world is wonderful. I really became a believer in this branch of health care. They had a great healthcare plan for those who could afford it as well.

Cons

Major downsizing. Poor financial management. Unlimited spending without thinking about long term consequences. Prefers outside hires from unrelated fields over employees who would be good candidates for promotion. Focus on "branding" and "scripting" more than changes in the healthcare system and patient needs. First took away my ability to earn bonuses, then downgraded me from salary to hourly and cut my hours. I had to threaten a lawsuit because of the harassment I got for being pregnant (I was getting final warning notices for missing work due to regularly scheduled prenatal appointments, was made to clean the men's toilet base up until I gave birth pregnant and got verbal warnings for sitting down occasionally during contractions... I blame them for my baby being premature). They have fired plenty of people for being sick or pregnant (or having sick kids).

Advice to Management

Grow up.

Great vision, poor delivery

I worked at Chiro One Wellness Centers

Pros

Great resume builder, opportunity to improve the quality of patient life.

Cons

CERs--CONSTANT travel, your car is at the mercy of Chiro One, standing for hours in places (groc stores, farmers markets ect.), only $150 a month is given to you for gas which you spend in one week. Your life consists of nothing but this company the day you end training. You do nothing but drive to "events" that are sometimes WELL out of your way. I once made a 6 hour round trip to stand in a tractor store for 4 hours then come home. Your day is filled with endless confirmation calls, scheduling, rescheduling, emailing...there truly is nothing glamours about this job. In training you may think you have landed the job of your dreams and you will be highly successful financially but the reality is this...you will invest all of your earnings to the expense of your travel. Period. I was highly dissatisfied with my time at this company.

Advice to Management

You have a remarkable vision. Chiropractic care has been the catalyst in improving the lives of many of the patients I have sent through your doors. However, you cannot push for growth of a company at the expense of the smaller people within that company. We are your warriors out there. We bring the business to your offices. However, we were highly unappreciated. It is absolutely ludicrous to give a person $150 check every month and think "yeah, that should do it." A CER should not have to invest nearly all of THEIR earnings in getting from A to B to do a job for YOUR company. That is a primary component in their job--travel. My paycheck was used to cover the difference you failed to provide. Company cars? Fuel cards? Any of those would have been great alternatives.

The cooperate calls--every morning--monotonous. The stories shared and advice given was very beneficial but one really great, riveting call a week would have sufficed. I felt as though I labored tirelessly, hitting the ground running every day as soon as I hung up the phone. This job could have been a wonderful experience if the time and effort of the employees were valued.

If you're not all about money, this can be an okay job for you

Former Employee - Chiropractic Technician in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Chiropractic Technician in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Chiro One Wellness Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely 100% the patients mad working there the best. I worked for Chiro One for almost 2 years and the patients and the staff that I was fortunate enough to have kept me in it. I was fortunate to be able to work with a DC and CA's who didn't have giant egos and were very welcoming and family oriented. It made it fun for everyone.

Cons

The pay can be very low. I worked in Kentucky (when they still had clinics), and was paid $9.86/hr salaried. We'd be paid for 40 hours of work despite almost all of the clinics putting in well over 40 hours. It wasn't that we were trying to get overtime, it's that we had to stay late either for doctor's reports/breakouts, or the paperwork piled up. The Kentucky and Texas clinics were always viewed as the "red-headed stepchildren" of Chiro One...always viewed as "out there." Corporate would always pass down completely backwards rules that were just...stupid. Like the color that certain forms had to be, and how no two DCs or even owners could agree on what was "correct." All team meetings were joke; simply a brag fest with inflated numbers. It was always "we're doing so good!" Clearly not doing well enough to keep clinics open. Cultish behavior and environment. Former employees were viewed as inferior or lesser following either their dismissal or when they chose to leave to do other things. "They weren't good enough to be Chiro One" was a common phrase thrown around about employees who gave everything they had to a company that views CAs, especially GOOD CAs, as dispensible.

Advice to Management

Drop the cultish behavior and the David Singer tactics. That's what's killing your company. Chiro One has the potential to do a lot of good in this world. But you gotta stop screwing people (CAs, DCs, patients) over all the time. If you're going to have a contest for clinics for IRs with a cash bonus, don't say it's tax free and then proceed to take taxes out. Drop the hard sales tactics where you inadvertently threaten potential patients. I know it's your job to get patients to "convert" (a term I always hated), but you can do it without having a built in system of belittlement.

Chiro One Wellness Centers Response

May 8, 2014Founding Partner and Chief Marketing Officer

Just like the reviewer, Chiro One believes our patients make everything we do worthwhile! We’re truly committed to creating a clinical setting based on procedures and protocols that allows us to ... More

You get "adjusted" for a reason... Pain to work for!!!

I worked at Chiro One Wellness Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- flexible schedule
    - work from home
    - great health insurance plan (ESP for a chiropractor)
    - PTO time is good

Cons

- consistently changing policies
    - communication not consistent or stream lined
    - when you're "under performing" or in the dog house you know it and it's visible bc ppl won't even speak to you
    - "cult" / drink the kool aid feel and if you don't buy in, you're out
    - 7a Monday "training" meetings that are anything but that
    - essentially you're soliciting other business' saying you're bringing them "health and wellness" goals... Then have to get what you can before the relationship is shut down by corp
    - "acknowledgements" for everything and no plan to help you achieve your goals
    - very under developed on boarding / training system for the event development position
    - company is focused around the CER position and they are compensated VERY well
    - $150 "gas" check, when you drive much more than that in a month

Advice to Management

Be more truthful with people about what the position(s) are and what you're really doing. The company shut down 2 markets seemingly over the wk and 100s of ppl lost their jobs with no severance pay. They are 100% correct when they tell you, "the only thing you can expect at chiro one is CHANGE" bc that happens on a daily and consistent bases and it's not change for the good.

In closure, I hope the company can pull it together in the 3rd and 4th Q - hopefully to a more "wellness" based approach and not just shove chiropractic down ppls throats... Chiropractic is helpful to some and not to so much for others... And that's ok... The vision is that "every human being discovers their FULL potential" right??? Well don't make it so darn uncomfortable when ppl shy away from chiropractic care and the methods that are being preached!

People are jumping ship like it's the Titanic in Oak Brook for a reason... Best of luck