Chloe + Isabel

Great People, Lots of work

Current Employee - QA Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Chloe + Isabel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people, environment, and benefits are fantastic. Enjoy coming to the office every day and working with some great people. Everyone is a hard worked and cant say anyone is not willing to help you out in a time of need.

Cons

With any start up there is not the best work life balance. You end up wearing a lot of different hats and sometimes the business roles can change with the wind.

Great potential! be prepared for a lot of hard work.

I have been working at Chloe + Isabel

Pros

Mostly a company to work for, you get out of it what you put into it, I like that you can make your own schedule. Great support team always there to answer any question or give you help in anything you might need.

Cons

The online boutique is very hard for customers to navigate, unless you tell them to shop only in your boutique you will not get commission. I don't think it's fair that C+I compete with they're merchandisers. also you must purchase lookbooks, wishlists, order forms exedra, this should be free and here is why. By the time you spend money to purchase these must haves to run your business you don't break even.

Sell only through your merchandisers.
    Make wishlists, lookbooks, order forms exedra free.

A good part time gig, great community of people

Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at Chloe + Isabel part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They definitely give you the tools and explain how to go about marketing yourself and the jewelry to succeed. It takes more work than just posting a picture to facebook once in a while, but if you follow the recommended steps, you will make sales. The merchandise looks great in person. The c+i facebook group is very active and super helpful.

Cons

The company does sell its jewelry itself on the c+i website - people are not required to buy through a merchandiser, which is the only thing I really I'd like to see change.

Sell jewelry exclusively through merchandisers; allow merchandisers to make deals with local businesses to wholesale the jewelry; add a paypal option for checkout

Throw yourself into your business and you will succeed.

Current Employee - Merchandiser in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Chloe + Isabel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The community, care team and sales teams are great! It is what you make it out to be and the more involved you are the more you grow with the company. It has one of the most supportive sales environments and is really focused on empowering women with the tools and skills they need to run their own business. The more you work the more you gain. I love that it is not the typical direct sales model. If you can hang on for the ride, you will grow with the company.

Cons

It's a start up. You really have to understand being a part of a start up and ready for moving parts and changes.

Continue to utilize the incredible skills of the merchandisers in the community.

A mixed experience thus far

Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at Chloe + Isabel as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I like the jewelry very much on the whole. I like the positive attitude of the merchies in my area (Southeast). My particular Merchandise Manager is very nice and helpful on the whole. Care also responds to my Emails pretty promptly.

Cons

I have only been a Merchandiser with C+I since August of 2014. However, in that short time I've seen both positive and negative aspects of the company. I've read through other comments on here and find a lot of observations that I agree with.

Here are just a few of my thoughts based upon my own observations.

1. Some jewelry has arrived to my customers damaged and there was one incident when my hostess got broken hostess rewards jewelry, wanted to exchange the pieces (naturally) and, when I called Corp. on her behalf, was told they didn't refund hostess credits but that they'd "do it this one time" because I put my foot down and said my hostess came first - especially since she was my best friend - and that my priority was making her happy. They did indeed refund her credits, and told her to ship the damaged pieces back, telling me they'd put a note on her account about the exchange. She returned the items and they turned around and sent her THE VERY SAME PIECES SHE RETURNED. We finally got it straightened out but I was most unhappy about this.

2. I don't like that Corp. sells in competition with their Merchies. That is NOT fair and most people don't know that, if they don't go directly to your boutique site, they are actually buying through corporate and the Merchandiser is NOT getting the sale and the commission therefrom. It's not "lying" per se - it's more a "sin of omission" on the website; there is NOTHING on the home page to draw one's attention to the fact that they can shop with a specific Merchandiser, other than a small spot in the top right-hand corner saying "Shop With a Merchandiser". Most customers that don't know won't see that or know to look for it. They will make the natural assumption that they are already shopping with their Merchandiser. That should be front and center on the webpage - then if the shopper HAS no relationship with a Merchandiser, they are free to shop through Corporate. At best, as I said, this is a "sin of omission" and at worst, it's a sneaky way to get a sale and not have to pay a Merchandiser extra commission.

3. Hostesses should be able, across the board, to get a "refund" of some of their Hostess credits if they have to return an item due to damage or any other reason that isn't the Hostess's fault. I tried to do this for my first Hostess (my best friend) and was told by Care that they didn't "normally" allow Hostesses to return items and get a credit refund but "they would do it just this once" when I put my foot down and told them I wanted my Hostess happy. This isn't fair. If the Hostess gets a piece that's too long for her or doesn't look right on her, she should not feel obligated to keep something she does not want and will not wear just because the company has a crappy policy.

4. I agree with the person who said the people running the training calls are annoying. They ARE. Listening to them is like listening to a room full of high school girls. I get the "enthusiasm" aspect but I'm 49, not 25, and would appreciate a more polished and PROFESSIONAL presentation. I'm not going to a sleepover. I'm going to the webinar to learn something that will help me with my business. (And there is a guy doing one of these - I can't remember his name - but he was more awful than the girls! I thought he was going to physically thrust a pair of pompoms right through my laptop and shake them in my face!)

5. Website needs improvement. The Academy is half-organized; it's not an intuitive website; you have to hunt and hunt for selling tools - they aren't where you'd think they'd be 9 times out of 10 - and that's time consuming. My time is valuable and I want to be able to get to something that I need quickly and efficiently.

1. If a hostess has a problem with her jewelry and wants to exchange it, she should be able to get her free hostess credits back, not as an "exception" but as a part of the perks to which she is entitled. I want my hostesses to feel they've gotten a great deal so they'll host again or recommend others. Don't tell me you are "making a special exception" for me when someone should be completely satisfied with your product as a general company policy. Remember if it weren't for hostesses, you guys wouldn't be in business.

2. Train the folks doing the webinar training to be enthusiastic without sounding like they're at a Justin Bieber concert.

3. LISTEN to your Merchandisers when they bring up something that bothers them and take them into consideration. After all they are the ones on the "front lines" and they are the ones hearing back from their customers/hostesses about what's right and wrong, and what is liked and not liked.

4. FIX the website. Consult whatever expert in intuitive web design you have to but MAKE IT WORK BETTER.

An Amazing Opportunity!

Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Chloe + Isabel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great compensation, great management and lots of opportunity to make lots of MONEY! I am disheartened by some of the reviews, saying that management doesn't care. They do care! It is the responsibility of the Independent merchandiser to communicate with management. They give us all the tools to be successful and above and beyond encouragement.

Cons

This is all what you make it. Too many think that posting their pics on Facebook and they will make money. It takes WORK!!!! Corporate gives us everything we need to be successful and then some. NEWS FLASH!!! This is a job! It takes work to be a successful merchandiser. It isn't going to fall into your lap!

Improving some of the IT features. Adding payment options for customers who need to have creative financing options!

It is a great company to work for!

Current Employee - Merchadiser in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Merchadiser in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Chloe + Isabel part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company is fabulously run. It is clear, organized, creative, and VERY successful. I love working for them because, as an employee, you are provided with constant training (optional!) that makes you a better worker and more motivated to succeed. Merchandisers work solely on commision based on a system that has a lot of upward mobility. You can make as much money as you want! It is a very flexible job. You are in charge of your hours and how you wish to run your personal business.

Cons

Like many companies like this, in order to work for them, you must first invest money into the company. Each merchandiser must purchase a "starter kit."

Great Company - Bad Merchandise

Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at Chloe + Isabel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company really teaches you everything you will need to start your own business and brand. The branding concept is unique and people get excited about the jewelry I wear.

Cons

The quality of the jewelry have went down each year. It is cheaply made and breaks easily, tarnishes easily, etc. It wouldn't be such a problem if it wasn't so expensive. I can't ethically sell jewelry like this to potential customers when I know how flawed the manufacturing is.

Since you want to sell the jewelry at such a high price point, spend a little bit more money on finding a jewelry manufacturer that crafts jewelry a little bit better.

Merchandiser with Chloe and Isabel

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Chloe + Isabel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It has been a great entrepreneurial experience because I've learned so much about running this small business. A lot of potential employers I've spoken to have been impressed

Cons

Sometimes it can be hard to have enough shows when in school because you and your prospective clients are all so busy

Provide more opportunities for merchandisers to meet there managers in person. Maybe have conferences or something

First Time Merchandiser

I have been working at Chloe + Isabel

Pros

they are very hands-on and helpful with merchandisers, guiding them to meet their goals

Cons

it can be expensive to really start being successful selling jewelry, because the more jewelry you own, the more you will sell

Keep up the great work!