Choice Hotels

Add Photos

Choice Hotels President, CEO, and Director Stephen P. Joyce

Stephen P. Joyce

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall a good place to work

Customer Service Specialist I (Former Employee)

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood work/Life balance and a good team atmosphere.

Cons24/7, 365 having to work holidays and weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter commuication with all employees.

Good to work for

Support Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people you work with

ConsA lot expected of you

After a decade at Choice, were I to interview there now, I would never have accepted a position

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time for more than 10 years

ProsYou will handle more than one position, so you will learn quickly how to juggle and prioritize
When you start, your pay will be lower than competitive but decent enough for some
The office is new and clean, and given how many people keep leaving, there is plenty of room and parking

ConsOnce you master more than one position, you will be expected to stay at that pace and receive even more responsibilities. At this point, you may kiss your work-life balance goodbye and your salary will be far less than your worth. Intense amount of managerial greed currently growing. Cold environment full of miserable, used-up employees and ignorant temps/contractors/interns.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is on a tear to ruin the company with failing outsourcing, replacing full time workers with contractors with limited knowledge and allowing high levels of attrition, which is completely unnecessary. They are thinking short-term only for their own gain. Advice for Board Members is to look at what it takes to maintain growth long term and seek the truth from management about current strategies. 8 people can't produce code for this website for as many projects as they expect to be achieved for long. It's good to be lean; it's not good to be emaciated.

Not enough focus on hotel needs rather corporate desire. HR and management need training.

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGenerally, a positive working environment at the corporate level. Good salary and bonus programs. Focused on profit. Sales force works extremely hard to generate business for franchise properties.

ConsLacking in a level of professionalism. Significant turnover should be a signal to management to look more closely at policy, procedures, and general employee "health". HR directors need clear and more concise training on employee engagement, retention, and satisfaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement tends to over promise and under deliver. Seek more thorough understanding from employees who have left the company. Compassion for those working through problems with less emphasis on what you don't know vs. learning what you should know. Leaving Choice was a difficult and frustrating experience with no follow up whatsoever. A loss for Choice.

Was a good place to work. Now not so much

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time

ProsWork life balance
Good people
Nice facilities

ConsLayoffs and cost cutting every year
Reduced benefits
Poor medical benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to make the company as it was in the past. A family type atmosphere where people retired from.

Some Good Points and Some Bad Points!

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat Associates and Benefits, great working environment. Most associates really care about what they do, and doing the right thing. There is opportunity to learn new skills.

ConsSr. Management doesn't always walk the talk, I'm all for change, but change is constant to the extent that management doesn't know if they last change worked before they make the next one. Creates an environment of uncertainty.

Phoenix IT is very bad - don't join

IT Development (Current Employee)

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNot much to think of other than the Managers. Directors and Executives are getting a very good bonus, while blaming the staff when things don't go well.

ConsBad Management
Poor benefits
The CTO in Phoenix is cluless. Lot of bright and good people are leaving Choice beacause of his leadership or lack of. HR Director in Phoenix and HR VP are clueless and are jokes. No idea how these people got promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementReach out to the work force. Check why so many turn overs in Phoenix IT. Check if the Sr. Directors and Vps shared the employee engagement with their staff. Benefits are jokes. Spread the wealth. Abolish the yearly and mid-term reviews. These are not effecive and only counter productive. Hire a better HR Director.

Not what it used to be....

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time

ProsThe building is nice, and aside from some of the leadership, the staff is nice.

ConsHR is too involved. Some of the leadership is lacking vision. There have been several layoffs, so folks are on edge about job security. The place is way more political than it used to be, and as a result, the sense of community that was once there is gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease allow the staff to feel like they can take honestly without fear of retribution. Re-examine some of the leadership decisions that have been made.

Good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Choice Hotels

ProsGood work atmosphere, no micro management

Consfew opportunities for promotion, not enough feedback

Great for the most part, but very bad over the past 10 months

I have been working at Choice Hotels

ProsBenefits and the opportunity to learn.

ConsSenior Directors and VPs don't have a clue about how to effectively run teams or their areas of responsibility. HR takes the side of poor performers that complain--and they are protected. And there are so many mysterious departures with corporate messages that try to thank them for having worked there. We can easily read between the lines here especially when people talk behind the scenes.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that Steve Joyce is doing a great job considering what he has to work with. Unfortunately, beyond his most senior team he does not see the poor leaders at the Senior Director and VP levels that don't allow their employees to grow or bring their ideas to the table. And some in HR only care about their titles as well and not about the overall well-being of the employees. Steve...walk amongst the employees that do the work for you...those managers and staff on the front lines (Directors and below) and talk to them. Listen to them. And see hear (and see firsthand) how they really feel. Don't count on the engagement survey for that because not all can participate and have a fair voice and vote to share.

Worked for Choice Hotels? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Choice Hotels reviews and ratings in Phoenix, AZ — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Choice Hotels CEO Stephen P. Joyce. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Choice Hotels employees.