Choice Hotels

Updated September 25, 2014
3.5

Choice Hotels President, CEO, and Director Stephen P. Joyce
Stephen P. Joyce

Pros
  • They tend to offer a fairly positive work-life balance and many perks to make the experience there enjoyable (in 9 reviews)

• Great experience and work environment (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • No Benefits and the pay isnt that great (in 6 reviews)

• Theres not much room for advancement and the owners were stingy about allocating more money to the hotel for fixing things, raises etc (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work and grow with

Current Employee - Systems Trainer  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Trainer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Compensation is competative, and benefits are good

Cons

My job requires about 300 days a year of travel, but that is what I signed for, so I can't complain.

It is an incredible place to work.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Intern in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels as an intern for less than a year

Pros

For such a large corporation they do an excellent job of eliminating that stern corporate culture. Everybody is friendly, they have a ping pong table etc.. And they let you watch the USA games during the World Cup and provide bagels. Great benefits as well as hotel discounts.

Cons

There is a lot going on as they are a multi billion dollar company, if you cant handle large infrastructures then thats the only pitfall.

Keep it up.

Phoenix Corporate Office: Long time employee has seen a lot of positive change.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work/Life Balance. Flexibility. Pay. Hotel Discounts. Fun People. Good Relationships with other employees. Continued incremental improvements keep moving us forward.

Cons

Politics can go awry when in the midst of a change making forward progress difficult because those doing the work are afraid to take action not knowing how leadership might react. They are even more afraid to speak out.

Little compassion from those in highest leadership positions for the employees; however, this is mitigated somewhat by the compassion shown by some in lower leadership positions.

Diversity is discussed but I believe the conversations are not being taken to heart yet. I'm hopeful there will be positive changes in the future.

Truly accept diversity. Accept that aside from race, gender, and the other typical topics of a discussion on diversity, personality type, communication style, and learning styles should also be considered. Once they look beyond the typical corporate behavior to recognize what each individual brings to the table and recognize the true value that person brings, then they will have achieved true diversity.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be a good place to work

Former Employee - Test Engineer II  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Test Engineer II in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance. Nice facilities. Family type environment.

Cons

Below average compensation. No bonus except for managers and directors. Too many contractors. No clear vision. Constance reorgs. t CIO is not very competent. Not many growth opportunities. Cliques exist in the IT Phoenix office and only the one with connections can go up the ladder.

Create a vision. Make Choice what it used to be "a place people retired from"

Overall a good place to work

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good work/Life balance and a good team atmosphere.

Cons

24/7, 365 having to work holidays and weekends.

Better commuication with all employees.

Good to work for

Former Employee - Support Coordinator  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Support Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people you work with

Cons

A lot expected of you

After a decade at Choice, were I to interview there now, I would never have accepted a position

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You will handle more than one position, so you will learn quickly how to juggle and prioritize
    When you start, your pay will be lower than competitive but decent enough for some
    The office is new and clean, and given how many people keep leaving, there is plenty of room and parking

Cons

Once you master more than one position, you will be expected to stay at that pace and receive even more responsibilities. At this point, you may kiss your work-life balance goodbye and your salary will be far less than your worth. Intense amount of managerial greed currently growing. Cold environment full of miserable, used-up employees and ignorant temps/contractors/interns.

Management is on a tear to ruin the company with failing outsourcing, replacing full time workers with contractors with limited knowledge and allowing high levels of attrition, which is completely unnecessary. They are thinking short-term only for their own gain. Advice for Board Members is to look at what it takes to maintain growth long term and seek the truth from management about current strategies. 8 people can't produce code for this website for as many projects as they expect to be achieved for long. It's good to be lean; it's not good to be emaciated.

Not enough focus on hotel needs rather corporate desire. HR and management need training.

Former Employee - Director  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Director in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Generally, a positive working environment at the corporate level. Good salary and bonus programs. Focused on profit. Sales force works extremely hard to generate business for franchise properties.

Cons

Lacking in a level of professionalism. Significant turnover should be a signal to management to look more closely at policy, procedures, and general employee "health". HR directors need clear and more concise training on employee engagement, retention, and satisfaction.

Management tends to over promise and under deliver. Seek more thorough understanding from employees who have left the company. Compassion for those working through problems with less emphasis on what you don't know vs. learning what you should know. Leaving Choice was a difficult and frustrating experience with no follow up whatsoever. A loss for Choice.

Was a good place to work. Now not so much

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time

Pros

Work life balance
    Good people
    Nice facilities

Cons

Layoffs and cost cutting every year
    Reduced benefits
    Poor medical benefits

Try to make the company as it was in the past. A family type atmosphere where people retired from.

Some Good Points and Some Bad Points!

Former Employee - Director  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Director in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Associates and Benefits, great working environment. Most associates really care about what they do, and doing the right thing. There is opportunity to learn new skills.

Cons

Sr. Management doesn't always walk the talk, I'm all for change, but change is constant to the extent that management doesn't know if they last change worked before they make the next one. Creates an environment of uncertainty.

Worked for Choice Hotels? Contribute to the Community!