Choice Hotels

Employer Engaged

Mixed review

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hotel is family ran so naturally, that family orientated behavior carries through to the front desk staff which creates a bond that is hard to find at other jobs. Although, the hotel has undergone small renovations, the building itself is showing its age but the area keeps the business afloat, especially during the summer. The employees here are awesome but have seemed to have lost that spark.

Cons

There are no employee benefits whatsoever. You will often work alone which is fine during the winter but you shouldn't be expected to be a breakfast attendant, a housekeeper and a maintenance man all while doing your front desk duties when its busy. Don't expect much pay here either, even after you invest your years here. Just as well as the perks because there very minimal here, you pretty much get whatever they feel like you deserve at the time which is mostly based off favoritism. A lot of improvement internally, and externally is well overdue here.

There isn't any advice that hasn't been voiced before.

Comfort Inn & Suites, great job, low pay.

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Kent, OH
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Kent, OH

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I work full time at Comfort Inn & Suites, second shift. You check people in, make sure your guests are satisfied, and do everything you can to make them feel at home. I LOVE my regulars here, they buy me food and keep me company. It is an overall easy job, I love working solo and I spend a lot of my time on Facebook or Netflix. Fridays and weekends are crazy, but make the time go by fast. I'd stay here forever if I could. Management is great, very friendly and helpful when you have problems.

Cons

Oh, the pay... If only the pay was higher. Also don't get any health benefits, and I work on Thanksgiving and Christmas with NO time and half... just the same pay rate. Also really no room to advance in your career.

I think you should give people higher pay rates the longer they work there..

Comfort Inn & Suites - Housekeepiing, Good Job no benefits

Current Employee - Housekeeper in Hot Springs, AR
    Current Employee - Housekeeper in Hot Springs, AR

I have been working at Choice Hotels part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Morning work schedule, know what to expect from your job daily, friendly boss and staff

Cons

part time, unpredictable hours based on seasons and events in a tourist city

Offer more incentives to employees

Out of touch with reality

Former Employee - Director in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Director in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Number of different jobs to apply for.

Cons

Company does not care about its employees. They have been laying off employees every November for the past 8 years, then 2 years ago they bought two new buildings for their headquarters in Maryland and Arizona. The current CEO nor his Vice Presidents do not seem to care about who has a job or not. The Health insurance package they changed to is terrible. Constant in-fighting at the corporate offices. They put on a false front that they care about families but the truth is they don't. Your job is never secure.

All the management at corporate needs to be replaced as well as the CEO.

Run! Do not work here!

Current Employee - Night Auditor in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Night Auditor in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I get to work by myself. Free breakfast working 3rd & 1st shift.

Cons

Pay sucks! I started off at 7.50 an hour, only took the job cause I needed something. The owner said after my 1 week of training. I would get more, been here for 6 months, and haven't received a rasie. I work on my days off, and work longer then normal cause people come in late all the time. No Benefits.

7.50 is not enough to live off of. I would love to see the owner and management live off 7.50 an hour.

Overall a good company

I have been working at Choice Hotels

Pros

Their are some great people that work here.

Cons

They company is constantly changing direction and letting go of even better people.

Not a great experience. Liked my actual job, but the working environment was unstable at best for most of the employees.

Former Employee - Director of Sales in Radford, VA
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Radford, VA

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot about sales, marketing, contracts, etc and built a lot of relationships. It was fun being a part of the community I worked in, to build B2B relationships. Unfortunately, this hotel was a bit hard to "market"

Cons

This is a nice hotel chain, but most are independently owned. The owner of the location I worked in was a very poor example of a business owner - she had absolutely no care for her employees. Although I had considered a career in hospitality, this experience turned me completely against that possibility.

Care about your employees more, care about the relationships you've asked us to build with the guests, and care about your reputation in the community.

It was an easy job, don't do much.

Current Employee - Front Desk in El Centro, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk in El Centro, CA

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get paid, minimal work, good hours.

Cons

No advancement or raise after 3 years

good company

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at Choice Hotels as an intern

Pros

nice colleague, good environment etc

Cons

i don;t think it has cons

nananana

Our franchise owner is the best. Very fair to her team with constructive criticism, and all the support you need.

Current Employee - Front Desk Manager
    Current Employee - Front Desk Manager

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We work as a team. All the from the Front desk to the Maintenance team. We are a year round hotel in a seasonal part of the North East.

Cons

Snow and the long cold winters. Great area for skiers and snowmobiles though.

Keep doing what your doing.