Choice Hotels

Be The First To
Add Photos

Choice Hotels President, CEO, and Director Stephen P. Joyce

Stephen P. Joyce

Pros
  • They tend to offer a fairly positive work-life balance and many perks to make the experience there enjoyable (in 6 reviews)

• Great experience and work environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No Benefits and the pay isnt that great (in 6 reviews)

• Theres not much room for advancement and the owners were stingy about allocating more money to the hotel for fixing things, raises etc (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights
16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Changing!!

Human Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsStrong knowledgeable co-workers. Great people.

ConsRe-organization after Re-orgs! Always in transition. Pick a plan and execute.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining for all managers and higher ups.

Terrible company that devalues it's people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsI really can't think of any PROS at this point

ConsUpper and mid level management is utterly inept. Decision making is bad, bordering on senseless. The culture is exclusionary with only a chosen few that even have voices as such . I would highly recommend to anyone that takes pride in what they do to keep looking. This isn't the company for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit.

Dysfunctional company; highly political and unskilled senior management

Manager (Former Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsIt was a paycheck; You are better off lying low and doing nothing to survive.

ConsCompany profit totally focused on selling franchises; franchisees pay fees and receive little benefit. Marketing and Product management is a nonstrategic joke. Most talented associates have quit. One of htose companies that talk about their "values" while everyone from the top down tries to out maneuver one another

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the hypocrisy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Manager

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsGreat beneftis. Health benefits not as good as used to be, now on a high deductible plan but still good comparitively. Locally work with great people.

ConsVery top heavy, too many senior level managers. Every year, they cut more employees to outsoarcing and then talk about how great the company is doing in the earnings reports. Just focused on more $$. Often won't spend $$ on systems upgrades or necessities of everyday job function.

Solid company with a good business model

Manager/Director (Current Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsSmall company where associates at all levels can make a significant contribution and have access to senior staff

ConsVery cost conscious resulting in limited resources for employees and lots of work

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd staff when necessary to take advantage of projects with a positive NPV rather than delaying or denying projects due to a lack of resources

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great staff, mediocre management

Senior Director (Current Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsGeneral good working environment. Middle management and staff are competent and supportive.

ConsVery short term focused. Senior management is fixated on maximizing personal income during fairly brief tenure. Little investment in the brands.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest for the long-term health of the brands and maintain a consistent strategy.

Taken a turn for the worst !

Pros1. Cheap hotel rates as an employee
    2. People at lower management are general nice and real.

Cons1. Company has cut alot of the benefits such as gym, food terrance, student class reimbursements and employees stock options.

2. Health care benefits is SUCKS. You pay out of pocket 1st $1,200 (single coverage) $2,400.00 (Family) for deductibles- Company is more concern about savings their pennies. for Senior Mgmnt bonuses.

3. Every November company lays off employees ( Nov. 11 it layoff 90 employees)

4.Human Resources "claims" we are here to help the employees, where actually trying to find ways and methods to save the company more money.

5. Too many self absorb egos at the top. ( such as the star on "Undercover Boss")

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to show that it cares about the people who work there by standing behind them, which it currently doesn't do. Have a better training program for new employees. Go back to old Health care benefits. BRING BACK CHUCK!

Good balance with right managers, but tread carefully...

Director (Former Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsManagement understands work / life balance. This is a franchise sales company, not a hotel company however there remains opportunity in the industry for those who seek it. Plenty of access to industry information, gather as much of this as possible.

ConsOrganization operates in silos. The lack of transparency between departments creates feuds and there remains a dissension between old management and new management.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak the silos, align goals both department and individual throughout the company.

Stay Away

Pros* Work life balance
    * Can work from home if you get a good boss

Cons* Awful health benefits (Cigna- not accepted everywhere, $1200 deductible before anything is covered, then only 80%)
    * No more tuition reimbursement
    * Closed the cafeteria
    * Just laid off 80 people
    * Company culture is changing to be more "big" than "family" oriented
    * Closed company gym

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter removing 90% of our benefits and laying off 80 people, perhaps the best thing I would suggest is to refrain from jokes about the benefits we do keep (monthly fruit delivery), or telling all associates to "get over 2011 and move on to 2012". And then giving Managers and Above bonuses = 16% + of their salaries (a usual bonus was 10%) feels like "blood money" to many of them. That is a difference of normally getting $9k per manager to getting $15k this year (director and above levels getting around 30% bonuses).

When people walk out of your All Associates meeting half-way through, it is a sign that the changes you are making are pushing your employees straight out the door. Relying on the "poor economic climate" as a method to scare the good employees to stay in-house doesn't work in Maryland where jobs are still available. Perhaps offering benefits back to employees would be a start, but many of us won't be around to wait for that to happen. Treating non-executives this bad is a poor decision- especially since we are the ones supporting them.

Going downhill fast

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsThey pay is good if you are wise on how to negotiate. You get discounts on hotels in places like NY City, and low-level management is flexible with schedules and leave.

ConsThe health benefits are changing in "response to Obama Care". We are paying the same amount for a lot less care and higher deductibles.

We are profitable this year but still trimming costs, and outsourcing and offshoring. Yet we learn our headquarters is moving from Silver Spring to Rockville to "save on costs and to attract better talent for senior executives". However, non-executives will need to start paying for parking. Current executives that have been here for years are leaving unexpectedly due to "differing opinions with CEO, Joyce."

It is becoming a very odd environment where we are beginning to look like everything people hate about corporate America.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevert back to the old health care plan, remember that not everyone makes over 6-figures, and keep in mind this is Maryland (a heavily democratic state) that isn't too impressed with our CEO having intimate meetings with Speaker of the House, Boehner.

Worked for Choice Hotels? Contribute to the Community!