ChoicePoint Reviews

1. Great company and people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at ChoicePoint

Pros

A firm that was re-inventing itself focusing on an industry at a time. Understood the need to have a market vision, strategy, and product plan that could be marketed and sold based upon C-level value propositions.

Cons

Legacy of technology, due to many acquisitions was a high-cost of operations to complete in the market.

Technology resources needed more push than many were willing to take.

Advice to Management

Staying on course to penetrate the new industries was the right idea and strategy for branching out beyond the insurance industry.

2. My experience at Choicepoint.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at ChoicePoint

Pros

The Company had a family style environment. It was nice working there until recently Lexis Nexis acquired us. LexisNexis has somewhat different reasons to be liked. The benefits LexisNexis is offering are slightly better than Choicepoint's.

Cons

The Managers keep most faith in their leads and ignore the rest of the team. Opputunity to prove oneself is limited due to the lead trying to take all the visibility.

Advice to Management

There was no organizational chart in the company. It was a deliberate attempt not show the differences in the titles. But I really don't see the sense in the logic, the difference is not on the chart but is all over the employees minds here. From lead to the BIO, everyone shows the superiority.

3. Choicepoint death spiral

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at ChoicePoint

Pros

You can tell at one time the company was very cohesive and supportive. They spent time to recognize achievements. Very family oriented.

Cons

minimal risk taking which cause continued market erosion in the data provider market

Advice to Management

Lack of direction and strong vision cause company to flounder and eventual be bought by Reed Elsevier. There was talent there that was unfortunately not utilized or supported.

5. Worst mistakes made in the best of times....

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at ChoicePoint

Pros

Good people and visionary senior maangement.
    Freedom to experiment and discuss.
    No pressure environment.

Cons

Insurance Sector good to work in, with family atmosphere.
    I worked in Operations and found the following.
    Incompetent Middle / Senior management.
    Hired too many people for no work. VP, Technology in operations hired contractors to do work when full time employees are sitting idle...... for 6 months. Full time employees laid off, but contractors with billing rate of $150/hr still working !!!!!
    No transparency and input taken on techniccal issues.
    All the middle / senior management required was "YES" man.
    All the above let to the downfall of the company and departure of senior management.
    Worst mistakes made in the best of times.
    Do not join in a junior role. Always join as a senior and negotiate salary upfront

Advice to Management

Senior Management has changed due to LexisNexis takeover.
    Looked up to the CEO, President for their committment and vision.
    Continue the family atmosphere.
    Cost cutting is not the only mantra..... if you pay peanuts, you will get monkeys.

6. Leadership is strong and employees are valued at ChoicePoint.

Current Employee - Technical Project Director in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Project Director in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at ChoicePoint

Pros

I used to work in a place where female leadership was non-existant. At CP, female leadership is evident and I enjoy working in groups where diversity is strongly encouraged. Also, tele-commuting is also embraced by some of the work groups. Work / life balance can be achieved with communication with your management team. The perks are many: cafeteria, on site gym, coffee is provided, and ability to get free tickets to events around the city. I enjoy coming to work and I work hard to be perceived as a valuable team player.

Cons

The hours can be long and the communication between groups sparse.

Advice to Management

Speak more openly regarding the merger. Some communication, even if no new update, is better than no new information.

RSS Feed </> Embed