Chopper Trading
www.choppertrading.com Chicago, IL 150 to 499 Employees

Chopper Trading Reviews

Updated Mar 27, 2014

Raj Fernando

It's a great place to work

Trader (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chopper Trading full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCulture that emphasizes success first. Excellent work life balance. Experience is based on what a person is willing to put in, nothing is handed out.

ConsMore collaborative environment would be helpful.

Great place

I have been working at Chopper Trading

ProsIf you work hard you will be rewarded. The CEO values loyalty over everything and will be loyal in return to the best of his abilities. Failed traders who are hard workers are always able to find another spot

ConsPay isn't at the very top of the industry

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much loyalty can hurt. Don't be afraid to cut ties with those that don't appreciate the opportunities provided

Cautiously optimistic

I have been working at Chopper Trading full-time for less than a year

ProsVery low intensity compared to a trading analyst program at a bank. Freedom to learn at your pace. But be warned it's what you make of it in the most literal sense. You can take it as far or as little as you want. Completely up to each individual... can be good or bad

And the kitchen is always full of great stuff. Maybe needs more peanut butter. But it's ok.

ConsUnstructured. But one does not go into prop trading to be surrounded in a structured environment. You have to train yourself since there is no formal training. Hours are long and nights are kind of depressing.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore peanut butter. Peaches are nice. Lets do slim jim.
Keep scalping talent into Chopper its the only way to expand right

Not the place for me

Trader (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chopper Trading full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you are a slacker but good at sucking up and pretending you do stuff, you will do well here for a while. Tip: Don't get on the wrong side of senior management if you join.

ConsCompensation is low and getting lower, people not very hard working and just jokes all day, what you hear about company culture isn't true, lots of company politics. No training program and no one cares about you, you pretty much have to learn on your own and you are just a slave helping the CEO make cash. Groups compete with each other within the company and pays fees to the exchange even though you are trading within the company. Assistant traders will get blamed for everything if something goes wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake use of employee's talents, don't overwork them, create more collaboration between teams.

If you really want to be a trader,

I have been working at Chopper Trading full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat environment to work in.
Freedom to grow at your own pace.
Strong presence in fixed income markets

ConsProp firms are more loosely structured. This one's no exception. So not a whole lot of organized learning. You gotta really learn on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job with company growth.

face to face

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Chopper Trading

ProsIt's a great company that will be around for awhile. Has a great trading strategy, and is a strong competitor in the fixed income securities sector.

ConsThey stress a few qualities for traders, but they are missing competitiveness which is an absolute necessity of a successful trader.

Grueling Job in Depressing Office

Trading Assistant (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Chopper Trading full-time for less than a year

ProsIf you are passionate about trading and know you want to fixed income trading this is a top firm in the field.

ConsTerrible work environment, terrible work/life balance, grueling training process.

Everyone should know that everyone works nights (euro/asian market hours) their first 18 months, but also that you can be working up to 14 hours/night, I did almost every night I worked there. You may think you can handle this but be warned it is miserable and all consuming.

Competitive across teams with little synergy and mostly anti-social, angry, stressed out traders, be ready for frequent vulgar screams across the office.

good learning opportunity

I have been working at Chopper Trading full-time for less than a year

ProsTremendous amount of freedom, can learn to trade almost anything. Great benefits, good guaranteed bonus, low hierarchy - perform and rise. Kitchen with food and goodies. Expanding out and is a growing company. It's not a start up phase, but still in an exciting stage.

Consliquidity is low, things can get frustrating. but that is the life of trading.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's good you are focusing on the expansion of the company to different countries and states, but also focus on your current investments.

Trading Assistant

I have been working at Chopper Trading full-time for less than a year

Pros-The starting salary is decent for an entry level job
-You get benefits such as health insurance, vision (medical), 401k, and etc..

Cons-You must work 14.5 hours a day, for 1.5 years straight to become a trade. If you don't want a life this is the place to work.
-Trader are always complaining and mad about something.
-Guys seem to complain a lot when they lose money.
-Not the best learning process to become a trader

Advice to Senior Management-Structure the night hours better because I don't even think it's legal to work 13-14.5 hours straight.
-Talk to traders to have them help trading assistants, not belittle them.

Good

Trader/Quant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chopper Trading full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat hours and people are very easy going!

ConsTwo dogs, scout and chopper

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the dogs!

Worked for Chopper Trading? Contribute to the Community!

Chopper Trading – Why Work for Us?

Chopper Trading is a technology-based proprietary trading firm that operates in a range of global markets and trades on several major exchanges. Key FactsFounded in 2002, Chopper Trading is headquartered in Chicago and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chopper Trading reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chopper Trading CEO Raj Fernando. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Chopper Trading employees.