Christmas Tree Shops

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

2.6

Steven H. Temares

Pros
  • Good discount, friendly employees, flexible scheduling (in 4 reviews)

• 20% discount and the realization that you don't really want most of that stuff (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management who thinks it should look like Bed Bath and Beyond (in 4 reviews)

• seasonal at moment but hopeful for full time (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

If you are in high, then this is the place for you

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA

I have been working at Christmas Tree Shops part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get a 20% employee discount!

Cons

Management likes to play favorites and schedules hours based on who they like better and who collect the most emails. They also like to bully you and treat you like dirt. This place is really awful! They also hire and hire but continually cut back on hours so people get at most 10 hours a week.

Treat your employees better. Get your act together!

Absolutely the worst comppany to work for!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Middleboro, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Middleboro, MA

I have been working at Christmas Tree Shops full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the people in your training class!

Cons

Training is a joke, does not transfer to the call center, We are told pass the buck, no such thing in the call center, except if another CSR starts something with a customer (Like ARS label) and you get the call you now own it! Team leads have been there 6 mos and get promoted, supervisory staff do not have any continuity with how anything is done. Depending on who you are, what you have said that was overheard or whether or not you brown nose, you will be called into a room and talked to like a child! One person may be chastized for being out with no paid time, while another will get a better shift and different opportunity. the atmosphere in this call center is stagnant, with too many rules, your time is not gaged by you punches it is gaged by the phone system, Cisco, Middleboro, MA is over seen by New Jersey as to the Cisco time, they do not care about your actual punch in time. I wonder excatly how anyone who has not met the CSR can disctaste their time, far too much is controlled by New Jersey, with Middleboro running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Everything is email, now when the CSR requests something (call tag, order mod, etc) you will get 5 emails back all dealing with the same order number, the CSR has to respond to all for each, this takes up a lot of time, and causes a lot of stress for the CSR! All in all if this call center is to succeed it might want to get all its ducks in a row and be on the same page with the training, the rules (which only apply to some). Finally far too much nepotisim, BF/GF w3orking in the same building some on the same team being referred to the co by a supervisor, sup anf gf in the same office, best friends on the same team with one the supervisor the other miraculously the team lead, one says no the other says yes, now how does that make for a good environment.

My advice to New Jersy......Lighten up, you cannot control a company that you are not sitting in since Middleboro is miles away maybe you should have a counter part in Middleboro and you should be on the same page!
    To Middleboro...A lot more continuity, understanding, communication with each other and be on the same page with instructions, directions, and informayion for the CSR's. A lot less taking anything to a personal level, as well as be fair to all not to the chosen few!

PT Evening Stocker

Former Employee - PT Evening Stocker  in  Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - PT Evening Stocker in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Christmas Tree Shops full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company to work for! The people I worked with where very respectful, bright, and just delightful to be around. I was supplementing my full time employment by working PT during the evening. I was treated very well, my peers welcomed me aboard and where very helpful and made me feel at ease.

Cons

I honestly can't think of one.

Keep doing what your are doing

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor management

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Christmas Tree Shops full-time

Pros

Fun environment to work in.

Cons

The company does not care about their employees, especially if you are full time. Management is absolutely terrible and the company is extremely disorganized. They do not care if you have opinions to share. Very rude. Normally when Corporate visits stores employees should be excited right? It was the most stressful time and everyone was prepared to be talked down to.

Decent part-time work, but frustratingly disorganized.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Christmas Tree Shops part-time for less than a year

Pros

The discount is useful and there's a certain sense of community, plus working with people can always have its good side.

Cons

There was a lot of disconnect between management and employees, as well as a lot of conflicting ideas of where certain products belonged when it came time to put back returns at the end of the day.

Exhausting

I have been working at Christmas Tree Shops full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

people, co-workers, people, a job

Cons

exhausting, exhausting, exhausting, exhausting, exhausting

get sleep if possible

Not a great place to work

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Christmas Tree Shops full-time

Pros

Decent pay for what you're doing
    No sales quota

Cons

Training was poor and felt like grade school
    Customers make no sense half the time
    Just felt like a number and not a person
    Some employees got ahead based on who they knew or how much they sucked up
    Very strict rules

Promote to people that deserve it.

Typical Retail

I have been working at Christmas Tree Shops

Pros

Loved the people i worked with

Cons

expect way to much of you for such little pay

too many managers, they are all lazy and pass things off, none of them want to do their job

Do your work, keep your head down and go home when your shift is over and you will be fine.

Former Employee - Cashier No Room for Advancement  in  Salem, NH
    Former Employee - Cashier No Room for Advancement in Salem, NH

I worked at Christmas Tree Shops part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

20% discount and the realization that you don't really want most of that stuff.

Cons

to management you are a number. you may be a great asset but that is it and really do you want to move up in a company that pays so little and requires so much of you?

Care a little more about your employees and the store manager is included in that suggestion.

Run of the mill retail job

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker  in  Rockaway, NJ
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Rockaway, NJ

I worked at Christmas Tree Shops part-time for less than a year

Pros

pays slightly above minimum wage

Cons

physically very demanding
    minimal training
    when I finally responded to my direct manager's unprofessional and downright depressing and rude behavior with a dressing-down- I was told by another manager that she was my boss and I'm not to talk to her that way. Are you kidding me? She had no right to be in the position of manager with her constant complaining and attitude to her employees.
    I took this position temporarily as our family was having a lot of financial difficulty and overnight was the only time I had left to work- so I did. I was extremely overqualified in every single category but sometimes you have to do what you have to do for the family. I had no problem with the job- but the management was terrible.

Hire less people for more hours so they can pay their bills with their paycheck. You'll retain more employees and build a true team environment. Those checkout ladies never look happy. Give them a chair!

Worked for Christmas Tree Shops? Contribute to the Community!