Christopher Newport University Reviews

CEO

1. Good job

Current Employee - Student Employee in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Student Employee in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Christopher Newport University (More than 3 years)

Pros

Grounds department was a good place to work, good managers, good coworkers, cool opportunities to improve as a professional and as a landscaper

Cons

Pay could have been better but state regulated that, other than that few cons for a student

2. Great Experience for a Student

I worked at Christopher Newport University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was an employee for two years--extremely grateful for the experience. I worked in the athletics department which was nice because that's where I want to go with my career. We worked a variety of events which helped get experience in more than just one aspect. There was quite a bit of freedom in which events we preferred to work.

Cons

They sometimes did not understand that we had to go to class. There were a few instances where I was expected to work but I was unable to due to having class and would have to be late or not be able to cover the whole event.

Advice to Management

Try not to expect definitive hours for someone who has class every day. Care about the fact that we are trying to gain work experience as well as balance our studies.

3. Dining Room Attendant

Former Employee - Dining Room Attendant in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Dining Room Attendant in Newport News, VA

I worked at Christopher Newport University (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome atmosphere, great coworkers. Overall the experience was great. They are willing to work with you regarding schedule changes if you give them enough time.

Cons

Fast paced, some employees are loners. Pray that nothing breaks down, because everything comes to a halt.

Advice to Management

Get better to-go containers.

5. Event Staff

Former Employee - Event Staff
    Former Employee - Event Staff

Pros

Get to see events for free. Get to meet lots of cool students.

Cons

Really low pay! There's very little chance for upward mobility.

6. Student Office Assistant for Study Abroad

Current Employee - Student Office Assistant
    Current Employee - Student Office Assistant

I have been working at Christopher Newport University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive staff and friendly environment Great Experience Builder in Marketing/sales/administration Flexible hours Get to talk to students about personal experiences to encourage them to create their own abroad

Cons

Small office space, hard to keep everyone working at once in the same room At times, can be difficult to manage multiple conversations with students and staff

Advice to Management

No real complaints. Best suggestions are to continue to look for students willing to commit time to making study abroad an important aspect of the CNU experience.

7. Hostile environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

I worked at Christopher Newport University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good city benefits Financially stable Not as "political" as some government jobs Lots of training opportunities

Cons

Extremely rigid Run by dictatorship Lots of finger-pointing schizophrenic, bi-polar management No internal support Us vs. them mentality

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, especially those in administration. Don't always assume you know best.

8. CNU- Captains on the Rise

Former Employee - Tour Guide in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Tour Guide in Newport News, VA

I worked at Christopher Newport University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the atmosphere of the campus. The student body is very friendly and engaging. The opportunity to be a tour guide is very much cherished; about only 10% of the total student population is selected for this role. Great experience in public speaking, training, leadership. Much of the program is run by students (while they do have managers to oversee everything). Rigorous hiring process to ensure correct students are selected.

Cons

some of the employees do not take the job as serious as others.

9. IT Specialist

Former Employee - IT Support Staff in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - IT Support Staff in Newport News, VA

I worked at Christopher Newport University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good University. Friendly faculty, staff and students. Customer service based, students first atmosphere. Campus is centrally located in a nice environment. Good benefits, competitive salary.

Cons

Endless construction, this is a double edge sword. Newer facilities are nice. However, over a decade of construction projects, re-routing traffic patterns, parking issues and noise. It gets weary on the soul and takes away the peaceful serene environment of the past.

10. Excellent place for growth and hands on experience

I worked at Christopher Newport University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family like relationships with most of the other employees Small scale university allows for growth at a faster rate Many of the supervisors trust you to take on small projects on your own, if you show capability

Cons

The university setting is not for everyone. Much of the day you are surrounded by students, which can be overwhelming at times

Advice to Management

I think that efficiency is an area that needs focus

11. There is always something to and the students are well looked after.

I worked at Christopher Newport University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a fun, fast-paced job with room for growth.

Cons

It's difficult to get the schedule you want, some employees are not all that professional and pay is a bit low compared to other university's in the US.

RSS Feed </> Embed