Christopher & Banks

Be The First To
Add Photos

Christopher & Banks CEO LuAnn Via

LuAnn Via

Pros
  • Fun coworkers, great employee discount(in 9 reviews)

• You learn so much about customer service(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Many changes in upper management over several years(in 12 reviews)

• Having part time assistants who don't take ownership as they are "just(in 10 reviews)

OKAY

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsFirst name basis with repeat customers.

ConsWorking with two women are who bullies and when finally stood up they play the victims.

GREAT company to work for!

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible hours - usually give you days off when you request them.
    Amazing associates - everyone I work with is really awesome.
    Customers - You really get to know and care about them.
    Holiday pay - Time plus time and a half . . . and you don't even need to work on the day of the actual holiday.
    Lots of responsibilities to keep you busy as a manager. There is always something to do, so work goes by quickly even when it's dead.
    Music - Seriously, some of my favorite musicians whose music isn't even released in this country plays. I love it!

ConsBreaks are awful. At my former company you got a 15 or half hour break every two hours. Here you'll work 8.5 and get a half-hour lunch.
    Promotion changes are so hectic and stressful, especially since you're usually the only one doing it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more props when they are due, but upper management is pretty good, especially when compared to other retailers.

Great company to work for

ProsYou are rewarded for a job well done

ConsHaving part time assistants who don't take ownership as they are "just part time"

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very frustrating working with a boss who feels shes on a power trip!

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI love working with fashion and believe this company would be the ideal place to work! The customers and fellow employees are the best! Benefits are good and they do pay decent for just starting out with no experience in retail. I come from being a banker for that last twenty years.

ConsIts a mess when things need changing out, always total chaos! My boss is not easy to talk to and makes everyone feel inferior to her, making it very uncomfortable to have a pleasant day with customers! She looks at all the negative and never the positive! Upper management will soon know what she is all about after I write to them. I dont believe anyone has the nerve to step up and reveal how she is running the business and running people off!! She doesn't realize she has good people working for her and that it is they who make that company profitable, not her!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some new management or risk the loss of good people working for you and losi g good customers! They can easily order online than come into a store where no one is ever the same!

Individual stores holding the whole thing together.

ProsClassic clothing, knowledgeable store staff.

ConsLowest pay in the industry. Very low hours to adequately staff the stores. Huge emphasis on credit cards when it should be on overall sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the credit card push. If you're going to quote bogus statistics about how it increases sales by a certain percent, produce your research and send to the stores to back up your claims. Don't just talk down to the stores with these bogus "research findings". We all know you pull that info out of your ass after a couple of martini's at happy hour. Hire a competent corporate team that can figure out what events and coupons really get customers in the door (take a quick look @ Kohls for example), and get promo changes submitted ON TIME...not 2 hours before the store closes and the promo starts the next day. Start paying attention to your DM's and tracking their whereabouts during the day. When they should be auditing stores, many are busy shopping or getting their nails done on company time. They think a couple of emails to the stores a day is doing their job. They aren't supporting the stores, so looks like it's time to clean house if you want to survive.

Love the clothes.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsClothes are nice, prices are competitive. Lots of sales.

ConsPay is laughable. Discount is good but customers get as good or better deals a lot of the time. DMs definitely play favorites. If you bring in tons of money consistently, then you are a
    favorite. We have tons of events. We do not get extra money to pull off events and most
    of the time be have to beg for more hours in order to hold the event. As an example, we
    had a recent fashion show where we all brought food for the models to enjoy. We take
    pictures and give copies to the models. We do this all at our own expense. The Company
    or DM expects us to hold these events, recruit lots of models, make lots and lots of money
    for them. If we don't make these events fun for our models and customers it will be impossible to recruit them. They do get a discount on the day of the show, but we certainly have sales that equal that discount. We are never reimbursed for money that we spend. I for one am always exhausted after this type of event and many times spend as much preparing for this event as I earn on the day of the event.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of us are loyal supporters of the company. Don't treat us as if we are disposable. Give us a decent wage. Treat us with respect. Just because you can get away with giving us
    low wages, doesn't mean it is right. Give us more hours for staff so that we can actually focus
    on the customer. Forget the contests. $25 will not fill a fridge and it is an insult because the contest is between so many stores. Many of our employees are well seasoned and pretty smart to boot. Give us a little credit.

Supportive upper management!

Part-time Assistant Shopkeeper (Former Employee) Quincy, IL

ProsThe store manager and district manager were great at nurturing staff into leadership roles and wanted to see everyone on their team succeed. Worked with great sales associates that enjoyed taking care of customers and made my job fun.

ConsAs a part-time assistant manager my weekly hours ranged from 20 hours/week to 40 hours/week. There were no benefit options for part-time managers even though we had the same responsibilities as full-time managers ex. Schedules, payroll, visual merchandising, opening and closing store, conference calls ext.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer all management, even part-time, benefits and higher hourly wages.

Was not treated in a professional manner by store manager. Preferential treatment to favored employees.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Stroudsburg, PA

ProsWonderful product and customers. Private credit cards availability. Attractive merchandising.

ConsNo health benefits were available to assistant managers as they are kept at a part time basis at a maximum of 28 hours.

My experience with company was exciting and challenging!

Store Manager (Former Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsRelationship with customers was the best! You build trust with them and they became friends for life.

ConsThe past 4 years has been a struggle for the company to hire a District Manager for our area
    with superior knowledge, hire standards of employee relationships, and coaching with trust and
    values.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not hire over the phone, face to face interview. Show trust in managers that they will not be threaten by District Managers or Regional Managers if they have a concern about their management. Managers need to be able to have trust in their Human Resource Dept and be represented in a professional way! Managers and teams of stores are the rock of the company
    and should be valued in more of a positive way.

Store management got away with way too much.

Key Holder (Former Employee)

ProsI loved being able to express my creativity with the clothes! Christopher and banks customers are wonderful.

ConsVery dissatisfied with the store management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should pay more attention to time card changes made by store management.

Worked for Christopher & Banks? Contribute to the Community!