Christopher & Banks Reviews

95 reviews filtered by
2.6
Christopher & Banks CEO LuAnn Via
LuAnn Via

Pros
  • Great employee discount to help with wearing clothing currently in the stores (in 10 reviews)

• Customer service focus, promotes a feeling of ownership among managers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't have a clue (in 13 reviews)

• Having part time assistants who don't take ownership as they are "just (in 11 reviews)

1. Benefits Analyst

I worked at Christopher & Banks

Pros

Friendly employees and there is sense of family

Cons

It is whom you know for any promotions

Need to improve on work-life balance

2. Ordinary retail experience

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Christopher & Banks full-time

Pros

Excellent leadership from DM and RM. Great clients who are sweet and happy. The clients make work beatable.

Cons

Payroll is not conducive to achieving balance between service level and workload. You will go days without a proper meal break. It is very difficult to achieve life work balance. Pay is low therefore talent pool is limited vs. other retailers more competitive salaries. Limited resources and often SM is responsible to assume expenses for events. Technology is adequate but needs improvement. SM are micromanaged with ridiculously exaggerated deadlines that are not business savvy. Career growth comes after years and it comes at a price from what I have seen. No days off.

So many expectations, so few hours.

I worked at Christopher & Banks

Pros

Great team! We were a little family and worked very well together. The customers are fantastic. Very loyal. Those are two of the reasons I hate not being there anymore.

Cons

The expectation to get so much done when you are alone is crazy. Customer service is supposed to be key. with this company, but stores work on 1 person coverage so often. There have been times that it gets so busy that customers leave because they didn't get serviced due to lack of coverage. This company constantly expects you to spin on a dime. Massive promotion changes with little to no help. Selling credit is a big must. You are expected to hound the customer while she is in the store to sell her credit. Use your bank of no's. The goals that were set for my store are absolutely high. It was like it has been set up to fail. I see the other stores in my district with $2000 Jan saturday. and my store is set to do $5400. Upper management, mainly the DM, is horrible. She is a micro managing type of person. She has her little hand in everything and doesn't know the needs of each individual store. She spends so much time in 1 store that is only 10 min away from her home. She fails to visit her stores like she is supposed to. She should have to punch a timecard so they can keep track of her. She also does a lot of home office days. She wants open communication, but she is horrible about her own communication. She talked badly about the girls on my team everytime I saw her. The pay is very low for all the work and extra tasks you have to do. Grassroot events take so much time that you either prepare on your own time or you just can't do one. Little to no extra hours given to prepare for Friends and Family. Expected to hire event help to make 3500 phone calls. When you can't even give your original team hours to work. The way merit increases are decided is ridiculous. If you don't work 250 hours forget getting a raise. They don't base it on individual performance. It is on store performance and hours worked. I have a woman that worked for me that is fabulous, but she doesn't meet the hours worked so she hasn't received a raise in 3 years. Very little work life balance.
    When there is some event store managers are expected to work no less than 48 hours and you have to work 6 days. We were not allowed to take anymore than 40 hrs of vacation at a time. I'm pretty sure this was just my District managers rule. But if you had a 10 day cruise or trip of any kind you wanted to take that would require more than 40 hours of vacation, it was a big no. We also were not allowed to take our days off in conjunction with a weekend off or vacation. If you called in sick you are made to feel like you are a bad person. So much more I can say, but I think you get the picture.

Listen to what your store teams are telling you. Keep better tabs on your DM"s. Help to make the work life balance real. Change the way merit increases are given. Individual performance should count for something. If customers service is what you pride yourself on as a company, than give hours to the stores to help each customer. Run promotions that actually work.

5. Decent Company, Amazing coworkers

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Christopher & Banks part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I loved my coworkers, obviously, and I felt like the company does a good job training associates. Most customers were very pleasant as well.

Cons

Our store kept adding and removing a plus size section every year. It was confusing for associates and customers alike.

14 years as assistant manager at Christopher and Banks

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Christopher & Banks

Pros

great discount: 50-60%
    great co-workers
    wonderful customers

Cons

very low pay
    not enough hours to run the store properly
    too much focus on their credit card goals

Give stores enough hours to run the store properly. Often working alone, even during the holiday season. You can't give customers the service that put Christopher and Banks on the map. You help the customers in between, setting up new promos, freight, steaming, answering the phone... all with a smile. The customers are very loyal, but are getting tired of the endless phone calls every time there's a sale. They are also tired of being badgered to get a credit card. Most of the customers already have one, and the ones that don't, will never get one.

Hate the day i decided to work for this company

Current Employee - Floor Lead Part Time in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Floor Lead Part Time in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Christopher & Banks

Pros

Great discounts . Good team . Good customers.

Cons

Low pay . Low hours , not eniugh hours to scedule two people on the floor . Managers work alone in the store, one person per shift . No hours for associates.
     Lack of communications between any members of the company .
     Out dated tecnology , out dated cash register softwear .

The worse place I have ever worked.

I worked at Christopher & Banks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I really cant say there was anything good about this place. I did enjoy the customers.

Cons

Slow slow store. Horrible manager who lied, probably stole, and stirred up trouble amidst the employees. A district manager who could care less. And, old lady clothes poorly designed and sewn.

I wont waste my breath. They are beyond help.

One of the lowest paying companies in the entire retail industry. And not enough payroll hours to run a store.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Christopher & Banks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The employees, the customers, middle management, 40 hour work week, one weekend off every month and a 50 to 60% off employee discount.

Cons

One of the lowest paying retail companies in the entire retail industry.
    Not enough payroll hours given to run the store.
    Employees were supposed to sell, hang and steam freight and complete other tasks while working all alone at times.
    Stores were heavily pushed and required to meet or exceed new store credit card application goals.
    No TV, radio, newspaper or magazine advertising was done by the company, while I was there.
    Stores were required to call 2500 to 5000 customers to tell about upcoming sales two to four times a year.
    Stores were also required to pass out 2000 coupons to local businesses and schools twice a year for sales.
    Stores were required to do grass roots marketing events every month, like off site fashion shows and trunk shows, etc.
    Stores were required to recruit 60 plus models for an in-store fashion show 2 or 3 times a year.

Please spend some money for some monthly media advertising!!!!! And by doing media advertising, the stores can concentrate on selling, instead of working on all of those unnecessary marketing tasks. Add up the employee payroll hours spent on these marketing tasks, and it may even cost 'more' than some media advertising would have. Please allocate some of the excessive extra hours given to high volume stores to give the lower volume stores enough hours to function normally without stress. Instead, low volume stores have to decide: do we focus on selling and ignore freight and required work tasks or do we focus on rushing through hanging and steaming freight and tasks, while having to give sub par selling customer service to customers.

Nice discount, poor pay.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Christopher & Banks part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I am a PT Asst Manager and have worked for this company for almost 6 years. The employee discount is excellent - 50% - 60% off clothing and accessories. My store manager is very flexible with my hours, as I work full time elsewhere. They/we pride ourselves on excellent customer service.

Cons

Pay is poor. Raises are few and far between. Although you get reviewed every year. If the store doesn't make its plan, no raises. Although you can bet the Corporate office folks still be their raises. Very disappointing... The company pulled away Sunday and holiday pay (time and one half) to try to save money about 4 years ago. Sad.

Pay your store employees more and you will retain quality people. Give raises based on personal performance, not on how the store sales are. We can't control blizzards. Offer discounts to the employees better than what sales you have for the public. For some of us, the discount is the main reason we are working there.

Can be fun & rewarding; recent changes taking all the joy out of it.

I worked at Christopher & Banks

Pros

Nice clothes, great customers, good team to work with; plus a generous discount.

Cons

Upper management is out of touch with what is going on in the stores. We are by ourselves part of the day; customers come first, and of course you are trying to get shipment done, manage backstock, make display changes, set new promotions, markdowns, transfers, clean and straighten. So many e-mails; pressure to make credit card goal. Why not celebrate all the savings the company is getting by having purchases go on the company card, (don't get greedy), relax the goals a bit and keep it a positive experience for staff to offer the card. Many customers have the card, and many customers are an adamant "No" and have been offered on every visit for over 2 years. Some consumers do not want more credit...period! Grassroots is also talked about so much that it makes it a grind and not a pleasure to try to come up with a new idea to bring in business. When you are taking care of all of the above, when is there time for grassroots? So you spend hours at home sending e-mails, making calls, trying to reach a women's group to invite them to come in for a shopping party. Again, relax the goals and consider it a "bonus" if a store gets a special event planned. Many customers have been asked time and again if they would like to participate in a shopping party, etc., and they might love our store, but they have busy lives and are not interested.
    And this year the company has another St. Jude donation campaign over the holiday season. AGAIN, instead of making it a pleasure and celebrating when you get a donation, you have to worry about being a fundraiser and trying to reach the goal the company set for your store because it is part of your review. I thought we were in business to sell clothes?? It is nice to stay busy and always have something to do, but you want to go home feeling like you accomplished good things; instead you go home wishing you had more time/hours to get more done.

Read the above; hours for training would be nice because that is something else that takes hours to do and upper management has no idea what is going on in your particular store on any given day, so if you are training someone you have even less time to get to all of the day-to-day tasks. Keep promotions clean and simple. It takes hours to move groups of clothing all around, then more time to fill in everywhere that you took items from. After big events give your stores time to recover; you can come in the day after an event with your gameplan to recover and get the store back to normal, and then you are hit with another promotion change or something else and there is not time for both.