Christopher & Banks

Updated September 11, 2014
2.5

Christopher & Banks CEO LuAnn Via
LuAnn Via

Pros
  • Great employee discount to help with wearing clothing currently in the stores (in 10 reviews)

• You learn so much about customer service (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't have a clue (in 13 reviews)

• Having part time assistants who don't take ownership as they are "just (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company - Fun Coworkers.

Former Employee - Third Key in Butte, MT
    Former Employee - Third Key in Butte, MT

I worked at Christopher & Banks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Extra pay for working Sundays, great discount and fun coworkers.

Cons

Hard to get promoted, not many manager positions.

NA

Stay away from this company!!

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Christopher & Banks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees and customers were wonderful to work with. A family feeling in the store.

Cons

Push for getting credit cards and sales were way down. Manager was suppose to fix everything. DM was incompetent and put pressure on everyone. Seems no one understands that customers don't want more charges and don't want to be be hounded when they are shopping. Upper management doesn't have a clue.

Get rid of all upper management and start with a clean slate!!

Backstabbing at it's Best

Former Employee - Dual Store Assistant Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Dual Store Assistant Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Christopher & Banks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Flexible Scheduling for Management
    -No Overnight Shifts
    -Holiday Pay
    -Most of the ladies are wonderful to work with

Cons

-Management team is VERY back-stabby. They are constantly talking about other managers and other associates behind their backs and never in a positive way. While I was there I dealt with more drama because people would gossip behind each others backs constantly.
    -Managers are usually scheduled alone and are unable to leave the store for any reason. Even if a sales associate is there you have to send them to go get your lunch like an errand girl.
    -Cold calling customers. Most of them were not happy to be getting phone calls but we continue to do it anyway.
    -Credit Card sign-ups. When I first started it wasn't a big deal but when I left they had started a sheet to keep tally of how many credit card sign-ups each associate was getting. Even the ones who only worked one four hour shift a week.
    -Grassroots. It's great when done properly. In most cases it is not. Not to mention I had a project stolen from under my nose. I had put the time and effort into a project only to have the store manager steal it and take full credit for it.

Instead of hiring ten part time sales associates at four hours a week, hire four associates at ten or more hours a week. My biggest complaint is people not getting enough hours. It is also the reason why I couldn't get people to apply. When the average hours for your part time associates is 4-8 hours a week, nobody in their right mind is going to take that job. Especially at minimum wage. Half of my associates were only there to get the 50% discount which means they didn't care about what they did while they were there. Those are the kinds of people you should AVOID hiring but they are the only ones we can get with the hour average.

Ordinary retail

Former Employee - Store Manager in Kingsport, TN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Kingsport, TN

I worked at Christopher & Banks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent work-life balance, pay was on the low end of the scale. Great customers with a product you could believe in.

Cons

Too much inconsistency from a corporate point of view. Changed product with no regard to their specific market niche`.

Enjoyable part-time position

I worked at Christopher & Banks part-time

Pros

Generally I found Christopher & Banks to have a pretty friendly work environment (management, other employees, and customers too!). Other employees were kind and I never experienced any negative office politics except from one person who left fairly quickly.

Cons

Sometimes computer systems were outdated, but I expect that has changed for the better. Pressure to collect customer information to build profiles at the checkout counter (I expect there's even more pressure to do so now). Not really much at all in the way of raises unfortunately.

No longer a good place to work

I have been working at Christopher & Banks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees in the stores are generally a great group of people. Great employee discount to help with wearing clothing currently in the stores.

Cons

To many to list well. The worst being pressure from the top to do what ever it takes to keep the customer happy even when it is outright wrong. Also complicated promotions and coupons that upset the customer and have them taking their anger out on you. Not enough hours for all the tasking required and the corporate response is to manage time better.

Been bubbling up for years, they haven't listened yet.

Corporate office is diseased

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Christopher & Banks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, the people in the corporate office are very nice and hard working. When I left, this was the one and only thing I was going to miss and I maintain friendships to this day with current and former employees. You also receive a generous discount on their clothes, if that's your thing.

Cons

Workloads are completely out of bounds and unreasonable. At one point, I went 6 months without taking a single lunch break - and not only is that not unusual, but it feels as if even leaving during the lunch hour is frowned upon. It's retail, so there are constant changes and re-evaluating strategies, but many in upper management do not realize how difficult some of these changes are to implement in an extremely short amount of time. None of that is ever taken into account. Due to this, people work an extraordinary number of hours to meet deadlines, and many to the point of complete burnout. To make matters worse, management continues to insist that irrelevant tasks be completed routinely. These are tasks that have nothing to do with driving the business, yet management behaves as if the fate of the company depends on it.

Act on what exiting employees say in their exit interviews or don't bother with them at all. There have been dozens of complaints about one upper management employee for years, yet nothing is ever done. Nothing changes.

WATCH OUT!!

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Christopher & Banks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I loved working for this company for many years, and enjoyed great success in sales, hiring and training, and corporate rankings. The customers were loyal, the product of good quality but.....No room at the top for people with new ideas, or the guts to speak out about wrongdoing...

Cons

After turning in a District Manager for overlooking employee discount abuse in a "favorite manager", was written a bad bad review, was threatened with termination while on FMLA to care for terminally ill parent....After numerous DM changes (I believe 4 in 2 years) really thought the bad times were over...WOW Was I wrong!! Worked way up to trusted, relied on position in district....to make simple mistake and be terminated....not by DM, but by Human Resources....what a joke....I will always believe that issues with initial DM, and having the guts to stand up for myself, got me blackballed by the home office. They were just waiting for me to make a mistake, and not handle something in line with their bogus code of conduct.

I agree with a previous poster that the company needs to clean house starting at the top....and work their way down. Hold every single employee to the same ethics and values. From LuAnn, down to the part time associates.

Little upward mobility

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Christopher & Banks full-time

Pros

Great discount on clothing. Although the fashions are a bit stodgy.

Cons

Micromanage store managers and go past you to manage your employees as well. Sometimes have conversations with your employees behind your back. They do not treat you well when you leave, even if for retirement or health reasons.

Your managers work hard. Respect them and don't treat them as if they don't know anything. If you thought they had the experience to be hired in that position, then let them exercise their own judgment sometimes. Otherwise, you might as well just hire monkeys!

Overall, pretty good for retail

I worked at Christopher & Banks

Pros

Great managers
    Focus on customer-employee relationship more than sales.

Cons

Quite a bit of miscommunication between corporate and stores.