www.christopherandbanks.com

Updated September 11, 2014
2.5

Christopher & Banks CEO LuAnn Via
LuAnn Via

Pros
  • Great employee discount to help with wearing clothing currently in the stores (in 10 reviews)

• You learn so much about customer service (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't have a clue (in 13 reviews)

• Having part time assistants who don't take ownership as they are "just (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Love working with the customers but poor manager

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Carroll, IA
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Carroll, IA

I worked at Christopher & Banks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with the customers-they are a great older set of customers who enjoy the help and attention. The customers seem very pleased with products. Great perks for employees-half-price clothing was great. Very clean and high standards for employees and how the store looks. Enjoyed working there for the most part.

Cons

Manager is a problem at this store. Breaks are at odd times or not at all for those working all day. Typically there are no breaks for employees, no matter how long you work, or the lunch breaks that come at the end of the day, after working 7 hours for full time is ODD (lunch at 4 p.m. after coming to work at 8:30 is common). Manager is very much on a power trip-everyone's schedule revolved around her personal, family schedule, which gets old really fast-and is always subject to change if her schedule changes. Manager would come and go as it worked for her but this is selectively extended to any of the other employees if it worked for the managers personal schedule. Manager also puts her responsibilities on others to do her job. She takes credit for the sales and good things that happen at the store when most of that credit goes to assistant manager(key holder) and the other sales associates who are there, putting in the hours and doing the work. Big turn over of employees because of the "managers selective scheduling" and "I'm in charge attitude". You don't work with this manager you work FOR her. I found coworkers very disgruntled regarding the scheduling and simple things like breaks or lunch breaks, especially those who worked full time. Very frustrating and stressful to work with those full time people who were treated so poorly. They are very unhappy.

Monitor your store managers, their hours and WHEN they are working. Retail is tough but with the person in charge gets away with things and the schedule is for her benefit only people look for other jobs and move on, leaving in frustration.

Christopher & Banks

I have been working at Christopher & Banks part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

helping customers find the perfect outfit for them

Cons

lack of hours, physically demanding

Great place to gain experience, not much upward growth potential.

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Butte, MT
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Butte, MT

I worked at Christopher & Banks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun coworkers, great employee discount. Time and a half for working holidays, which is nice as you don't get much choice in retail.

Cons

You have to work holidays. A lot of moms shop here and their kids can be unruly.

Try to promote from within.

Ok company but very unorganized

I worked at Christopher & Banks as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good experience, great people for the most part, nice office

Cons

Unorganized, some drama which was distracting

Get a little more organized and put an end to the drama

OKAY

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Christopher & Banks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

First name basis with repeat customers.

Cons

Working with two women are who bullies and when finally stood up they play the victims.

Good company to grow with

I have been working at Christopher & Banks full-time

Pros

Company tends to promote from within

Cons

Has become focused on CC sales

GREAT company to work for!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Christopher & Banks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours - usually give you days off when you request them.
    Amazing associates - everyone I work with is really awesome.
    Customers - You really get to know and care about them.
    Holiday pay - Time plus time and a half . . . and you don't even need to work on the day of the actual holiday.
    Lots of responsibilities to keep you busy as a manager. There is always something to do, so work goes by quickly even when it's dead.
    Music - Seriously, some of my favorite musicians whose music isn't even released in this country plays. I love it!

Cons

Breaks are awful. At my former company you got a 15 or half hour break every two hours. Here you'll work 8.5 and get a half-hour lunch.
    Promotion changes are so hectic and stressful, especially since you're usually the only one doing it.

Give more props when they are due, but upper management is pretty good, especially when compared to other retailers.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Christopher & Banks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You are rewarded for a job well done

Cons

Having part time assistants who don't take ownership as they are "just part time"

Very frustrating working with a boss who feels shes on a power trip!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Christopher & Banks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love working with fashion and believe this company would be the ideal place to work! The customers and fellow employees are the best! Benefits are good and they do pay decent for just starting out with no experience in retail. I come from being a banker for that last twenty years.

Cons

Its a mess when things need changing out, always total chaos! My boss is not easy to talk to and makes everyone feel inferior to her, making it very uncomfortable to have a pleasant day with customers! She looks at all the negative and never the positive! Upper management will soon know what she is all about after I write to them. I dont believe anyone has the nerve to step up and reveal how she is running the business and running people off!! She doesn't realize she has good people working for her and that it is they who make that company profitable, not her!

Get some new management or risk the loss of good people working for you and losi g good customers! They can easily order online than come into a store where no one is ever the same!

Individual stores holding the whole thing together.

I have been working at Christopher & Banks part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Classic clothing, knowledgeable store staff.

Cons

Lowest pay in the industry. Very low hours to adequately staff the stores. Huge emphasis on credit cards when it should be on overall sales.

Stop with the credit card push. If you're going to quote bogus statistics about how it increases sales by a certain percent, produce your research and send to the stores to back up your claims. Don't just talk down to the stores with these bogus "research findings". We all know you pull that info out of your ass after a couple of martini's at happy hour. Hire a competent corporate team that can figure out what events and coupons really get customers in the door (take a quick look @ Kohls for example), and get promo changes submitted ON TIME...not 2 hours before the store closes and the promo starts the next day. Start paying attention to your DM's and tracking their whereabouts during the day. When they should be auditing stores, many are busy shopping or getting their nails done on company time. They think a couple of emails to the stores a day is doing their job. They aren't supporting the stores, so looks like it's time to clean house if you want to survive.