Chronicle Books

www.chroniclebooks.com

Chronicle Books Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Nion McEvoy

A very creative and amazing environment to work in!

Publicist (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsChronicle Books is full of hard working, creative and wonderful people. My team was very collaborative and helpful and you could tell that everyone had a passion for the written word.

ConsPay is a bit low for the work load and it can be hard to climb the ladder since it's relatively short!

great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proswork environment is great, very nice committed designers and variety of projects

ConsThe city is a bit too expensive

Advice to Senior Managementgetting to the area, san francisco is an expensive City to live in general.

A Wonderful Publisher

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIncredibly creative and supportive coworkers and supportive leadership. Especially impressed by the teamwork in each book that is made. The quality of the books is a testament to the quality of the employees and the care they have for what Chronicle publishes.

ConsHoliday time off is not the best (closed Christmas week as most publishers are, but have to use personal vacation time or take without pay), fewer than most standard holidays off as well.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people are absolutely amazing. Chronicle Books has managed to create a true, hard-working professional atmosphere without sacrificing the quirks and fun that allow people to show their vibrant personalities. The books we develop are some of the best in the industry, as well.

ConsThe pay is meager, as with all publishing positions. San Francisco is very expensive and the below average check makes it hard to live here sometimes. It can also be hard to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote people more readily and please consider greater monetary incentives to keep the best employees here.

Record Breaking Profits Are Great Use That Money To Hire More People

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCreative People
    Attractive Office
    Beautiful Books
    Generally nice people to work with

ConsLow Pay (though this is typical for publishing)
    They don't fire bad bosses, even if they're incompetent, if they're "in" with the right people
    Overworked staff leads to burnout
    They're weirdly cheap about random things: i.e. They "close" the office for the week after Christmas but you have to either use your own vacation time or take the time unpaid. Most other publishers pay their employees for this time off. Plus they try to convince you that this is a good thing by putting a positive spin on it - 'Hey we're giving you time off at the holidays"

Advice to Senior ManagementRecord profits are great, but you need to hire more people if you don't want to burn out your staff.

I love these folks...

Editorial (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSophisticated, devoted pros who are devoted to their innovations and design. Everyone in the company gets behind their titles and is proud of their work and their collegiality. They are innovative. It's physically beautiful, the location is ideal. Commuter and family-friendly.

ConsLike much of the publishing industry, editorial salaries are very slim. You need another income or family income to pull off living in SF

Creative and supportive environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe greatest perk of working at Chronicle is how socially-awareness the employees are to benefit a good cause (managers also encourage you to seek ways to make a positive impact). Employees have bake sales for charity and help build houses in Nola where Hurricane Katrina was hit. Chronicle employees embody the types of book they publish-cookbooks, humor, art&design etc. Many times a year, employees literally make baked goods that look like they're out the cookbooks. There are parties that launch books like beer pong. The best of all the office is modern and very refreshing to step into work everyday. You also get nice discounts on Chronicle published books which make great gifts!

ConsThe only downside is the pay. Most employees still want to work at Chronicle because of the fun colleagues and creative environment.

Review Headline

Contracts and Permissions Assistant (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsAt Chronicle Books you will work alongside some very intelligent, funny and professional people who care strongly about the publishing industry. They have a fun quirkiness and unique way of looking at the world that make me want to go to work each day.

ConsIt is a bit difficult to effect change - everyone has a say and all must be in agreement for anything different to occur. This can be a bit trying.

Advice to Senior ManagementProject management is needed!

Overall, can be a fun place to work but it's hard to progress in your career and the pay is quite low.

Sales (Former Employee)

Pros-Fun, creative people and products to work with
    -Great X-mas party
    -Well-recognized and respected brand.

Cons-Pay is low
    -Senior management has been in same roles for some time so there are rarely opportunities to move up except in nominal way (e.g. from associate mgr, to mgr, to senior manager).
    -They've had a history of layoffs or individual dismissals that sometimes appear random or personally motivated.

Advice to Senior Management-Find ways to better incentivize and motivate talented people not at top management level.

Worked for Chronicle Books? Contribute to the Community!