Chronicle of Higher Education

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Philip W. Semas

A great place to work.

I have been working at Chronicle of Higher Education full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSmart, friendly colleagues committed to excellence, great pay and benefits for journalism, pleasant office, flex time, work that matters.

ConsInterdepartmental communication could be better. Tight budgets mean few opportunities for advancement and heavy workloads. Upper management should be more aware of potential burn-out.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure employees company-wide really understand the core products and the culture of the worlds that CHE and COP cover.

No ownership, Low reward, but good people

Washington, DC

I have been working at Chronicle of Higher Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Lots of PTO (24 days)
-Friendly people
-Attempting to create good products
-Good work/life balance

Cons-No pay raises (ok below inflation pay raises that we're supposed to be grateful for)
-Departments don't work well together
-Low Morale
-People in positions they are not qualified for
-Bad working conditions (i.e. old chairs, old computers, old cubes and pictures from 20 years ago)

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide on your company strategy and who can best get you there. Then, clean out the rest. Stop rewarding people for simply being at the company a long time and find people who do the job the best and are qualified for the job. Also, implement a structure that allows employees to move up and get better pay.

Beyond multitasking

I have been working at Chronicle of Higher Education full-time

ProsFriendly coworkers and good benefits. 24 vacation days per year.

ConsDifficult to get overtime pay even when the workload makes overtime necessary

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be worthwhile to put in the effort to be more engaging with staff who are below management.

Company Review

Recuritment Advertising (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

Pros24 Vacation Days
Unlimited Sick Days
Relaxed Environment
Organization Culture
Great place to go to get experience before you find something better

ConsOld Mentality Higher Ups
Too Many Changes Not Enough Consistency
The Associate Publisher

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the talent you have to bring company to the next level. Understand that the print industry is declining and you need to come up with innovative ideas to expand. Dont use your favorites for everything.

Family friendly company that is doomed to fail

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Chronicle of Higher Education

ProsFlex time, 5 weeks paid vacation, 6-month sabbatical for every 7 years of service, many women in senior management

ConsBig discrepancies in pay. The salaries were once so lavish that managers can't afford to leave; they'll never get paid as much anywhere else. Anyone hired before 2000 is likely making over $100,000 -- unheard of in journalism. Hired after that? Different story. The company will eventually go broke because it can't afford its senior management.

Worked for Chronicle of Higher Education? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chronicle of Higher Education reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chronicle of Higher Education CEO Philip W. Semas. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Chronicle of Higher Education employees.