Chrysler

Updated December 13, 2014
3.3

Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne
Sergio Marchionne

Pros
  • Decent pay and benefits but eroding over time (in 25 reviews)

• Work Life Balance, satisfying work and never a dull moment at the workplace (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is a challenge as the company continues to expand (in 20 reviews)

• you work long hours, depending on which plant you are located (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The plant life

Current Employee - Quality Process Engineer in Belvidere, IL
    Current Employee - Quality Process Engineer in Belvidere, IL

I have been working at Chrysler

Pros

I am fortunate to have a very flexible boss, no two days are the same. Desk job and floor time no stuffy cynical for me.

Cons

long hours but I love the overtime pay. Hectic more times than not. Definitely not for everyone.

I am management so, great job!

Good pay and benefits. Management inexperienced/incompetent.

Current Employee - Assembly Worker in Belvidere, IL

I have been working at Chrysler full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is the best you can find in my area without a degree. Currently topped out at 19.28 and hour with 5% shift premium for working nights. 6:00pm-4:30am wed-sat. Decent amount of overtime offered as Chrysler sales have been ever increasing over the last several years. 3 bonuses paid out every year. Health/dental/vision insurance is included in your pay, therefore it doesn't cost you anything out of your take home pay. Stress is minimal as a line worker. Any time being laid off is reimbursed at nearly 90% of a 40 hour week. Tuition assistance available to you up to $5000 a year.

Cons

Hours are inconvenient. Attendance is very rigid and inflexible. Being an assembly line you aren't able to leave early if need be unless it is an emergency... Even then it is not a given. Bathroom is limited to when your team leader is able to relieve you or wait til break. Vacation time is minimal. No sick days. Constant job eliminations, resulting in work constantly being added onto. Then of course you have the UAW which is notorious for supporting only the most frivolous employees. Also as a union worker there is no room for promotion within the company. Although I will admit if you attain a degree, you have a foot in the door to obtaining a management position. Most importantly the work performed is detrimental to the condition of your body. Especially with recent increases in workload, this is a job I could see working for a maximum of maybe 10 years while maintaining a properly functioning body.

I believe a more flexible work schedule would minimize attendance issues and rampant abuse of FMLA not to mention morale.

Don't be afraid to get rid of the troublesome/lazy employees, most coworkers would be supportive of trimming off the dead weight in favor more suitable and effective team members. If you are going to pay people to do nothing put them somewhere that they aren't parading around other hardworking employees. That is very distracting and discouraging.

Having realistic expectations in workload, coupled with accountability in correctly performing job elements is something that would help with the quality issues we are currently facing.

Middle and lower Management have a lot to be desired.

Current Employee - Team Leader in Belvidere, IL
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Belvidere, IL

I have been working at Chrysler full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Union representation and protection. Job security. Great pay (if you're first tier). Good benefits. Decent people to work with. Build great products.

Cons

Arrogance and self aggrandizement seem to be the rule of thumb among the lower management tier.

Realize you DON'T know more than the people you're trying to lead and listen to good advice from the floor.

Chrysler Manufacturing review

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Belvidere, IL
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Belvidere, IL

I have been working at Chrysler full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Pay, can be rewarding at times

Cons

Very little assistance from upper management, always so busy that you can never do things the right way. Upper management wants you to document everything you do, rather than doing it. You spend five times the amount of time documenting what you do on a daily basis then it took the time to do, and can be very frustrating

Assist your floor supervisor and reduce the amount of work proofing

Blessing

I have been working at Chrysler full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay, benefits and retirement. There is a lot of different people so finding people you work well with and sticking with them helps <3 I have been fortunate enough to be placed in a great department.

Cons

Attendance policy very strict but I do understand but I think they need to give a couple more extra days a year.

Quality should always come first not quantity..

Chrysler sucks

Current Employee - Electrical Tech in Belvidere, IL
    Current Employee - Electrical Tech in Belvidere, IL

I have been working at Chrysler full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Only good thing is the wages

Cons

wait 3 years for full benefits, lousy work schedule, managers screaming at other people over the radio.

Treat people as an asset rather than a liability

Overall great company

I have been working at Chrysler full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Jobs are not overly difficult and well balanced
    overtime hours are available
    difficult to get fired from
    decently easy to switch jobs once you get some seniority
    once hired in guaranteed hours no matter if they send you home early

Cons

hard to get promoted to management (seniority system)
    it's a hit or miss if you will get a manager that has been in your area for a long time - managers like to move around constantly
    many teams are divided since chrysler reformed their assembly lines
    hard to get hired in, you will have to be a temp/part time until a full time position opens and
    there is no job security with that and hours are not guaranteed
    difficult to get fired from, you will find yourself working with people who just dont care

everything about chrysler is overall great, between safety and productivity. The biggest concerns are it is impressively hard to work into management, team leaders should have some basic qualifications and at least an interview and a good history of work ethics from the people around them instead of "highest seniority". There also needs to be stricter ways to get rid or punish lazy people who are constantly halting production because they don't care or not paying attention( wondering around and not doing their job at all). I find myself a hard worker coming from construction and would do anything to help my team if needed and that is just not the mentality of many people there(which I blame team leaders and group leaders for not keeping a set rules for everyone)

Pays the bills

Current Employee - Production Worker in Belvidere, IL
    Current Employee - Production Worker in Belvidere, IL

I have been working at Chrysler part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent money for a tier 2 employee which is hard to find in my location with out a degree
    Part time employees get overtime after 8 hours and time and a half on Saturdays, good while pursuing education.

Cons

Change work schedule often
    Repetitive work
    management doesn't know how to run things
    Put band aids on things rather than fix them correctly
    Unless you have A shift your schedule sucks A= Mon-Thurs 6am to 430 pm B= Wed-Sat 6pm- 430am C= Mon+Tues 6pm-430am Fri+Sat 6am-430pm
    Union is not that great
    Could keep going but......

Totally fire everyone and start fresh with management. Get some good fresh talent to help generate ideas. Take some risks on fixing machinery, it may stall production in short term but pay off in the long run.

Great place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belvidere, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belvidere, IL

I have been working at Chrysler full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Union benefits and representation. Great health benefits

Cons

Limited advancement for union, hourly personnel

Remove the degree requirements for managementpositions and hire fromwithin

Chrysler auto worker

Current Employee - Auto Assembler in Belvidere, IL
    Current Employee - Auto Assembler in Belvidere, IL

I have been working at Chrysler full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary, health coverage, union, profit sharing

Cons

limited advancement opportunities, no vision or dental coverage for 3 years, physical