Chrysler

Updated December 14, 2014
3.3

Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne
Sergio Marchionne

Pros
  • Decent pay and benefits but eroding over time (in 25 reviews)

• Work Life Balance, satisfying work and never a dull moment at the workplace (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is a challenge as the company continues to expand (in 20 reviews)

• you work long hours, depending on which plant you are located (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Salary Employees

I have been working at Chrysler full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay. Company lease car.

Cons

Zero work- life balance. Mandatory 13 - 14 hour days. Expected to work Holidays. Very hard to get a day off. Upper management not usually respectful to the lower ranking salary personnel.

High turnover is due to lack of work-life balance and lack of appreciation. Change review system, current one lowers morale. Consider annual raises for all salary workers.

Corporate America - Greed at it's best!

I worked at Chrysler full-time

Pros

Great products and the ability to move around if you are a pet.

Cons

The company doesn't keep it's promises where it's benefits are concerned. I hope you are never injured on or off the job...

My manager was fantastic, I have nothing bad to say about the individual in charge of my group.

Heading down same road as Fiat......

Former Employee - Business Unit Leader in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Business Unit Leader in Detroit, MI

I worked at Chrysler full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many vehicles on Mercedes Platforms bought by Fiat was smart move. Canadian Plants much better quality than U.S. plants.

Cons

Can't hire enough management personnel because they want them dirt cheap on U.S. side. The managers they do have, they work them into the ground and then play games with them. Everyone that's anyone is leaving in middle management due to the poor treatment. Jobs threatened on daily basis and pensions frozen will only cause more turn over and worse quality.

Your best assets are your people. Start treating them this way or another bankruptcy is inevitable! Evaluation process is a joke and no mentoring will stagnate the growth. Those in the trenches are treated poorly and they have the most responsibility. Bean counters with fewer reports have monopolized the higher bonuses.

Great place, as long as you're on an industry upswing

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Chrysler full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some great people and culture. No BS, great teamwork, since middle management and up all went through bankruptcy and know what's really important (vs. waste). Typical strong automotive benefits, driven by UAW negotiations.

Cons

Every ten years the industry tanks, and Chrysler approaches extinction as one of the weaker players. With these close shaves come cutbacks, retrenching, and a general reinvention of processes previously running smoothly. As a result, the company is continuously reinventing itself - with process changes lacking the tried and true continuity that leads to quality.

Focus. People are spread too thin, and change is too frequent. Do fewer things, better, and start to build credibility with consumers. We are running too fast since the Fiat integration.

Work was not challenging

I worked at Chrysler

Pros

Pretty good pay for what they have you do.
    If you meet the right people and work hard, promotion is certainly within reach.

Cons

The work given can be very mundane and usually not challenging.
    It's very easy to get lost in the system. You must really work to make yourself stand out.
    Sometimes the atmosphere can drain the energy and creativity out of you.

Can be good, however work/life balance terrible

Current Employee - Unit Leader in Sterling Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Unit Leader in Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at Chrysler full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay and benefits exceptional, experience received and training very relevant to lean and progressive environment

Cons

Work life balance terrible. Worked 75-80 hours weekly and still unable to get on top of all the assignments. BUL's ideas were to work more hours. Support terrible

Take care of your people. Of my core group over half looking for transfer to different dept or to different company

Business Unit Leader

Current Employee - Business Unit Leader in Kokomo, IN
    Current Employee - Business Unit Leader in Kokomo, IN

I have been working at Chrysler full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Currently job security is good because the economy is doing well. Always a rollercoaster with automotive though. Pay is good, but insurance is not great.

Cons

This company does not know how to treat its people. Hours are ridiculous right now because of what they call AWS Alternate Work Schedule. Requires you to work 14 hours days, through the weekends and you get half the holidays you used to get. They can't understand why management is quitting on them, but they really don't care, they just bring in the next warm body off the street. Once you get in a job, you cannot make lateral moves into other areas very easily at all. Exceptionally poor career development, worst I've ever been a part of.

Get off Alternate Work Schedule so people can actually have a life outside work. Stopping working people to the point they have a heart attack on the job.

Just depends which team you are on

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Chrysler full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very large place, opportunity to work on some really cool projects. There are some very smart people roaming the halls. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Need to stay in one position for 18 months before you can rotate some place else.

It is like any job where sometimes you jive with the team you are on and sometimes you do not and I sadly did not. My particular manager was a micromanager/nit picker which drove me crazy, but they are not all like that.

I struggled with work/life balance. There was an expectation to work long days and while perhaps you would not be reprimanded for not, you would also never advance.

Keep the lines of communication open

Meh

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Chrysler as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

So cool to work for a car company, lots of great employees

Cons

Bureaucratic, they don't pay you enought

It was a great internship experience, my supervisor helped push me to new heights

Former Employee - Quality Engineer (Chassis) in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer (Chassis) in Detroit, MI

I worked at Chrysler as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Location, close to Detroit and Windsor
    Pay slightly above average
    Experience/certifications
    Fun summer!
    Management and administration really cares about your future success at chrysler

Cons

Some employees were nicer than others
    Employees who dont like to listen to younger generation
    Large old population of employees

Keep up the good work! Showing geniune interest in the interns is a great way to foster lasting relationships that lead to star companies.