Chubb Corp

Be The First To
Add Photos

Chubb Corp Chairman, President, and CEO John D. Finnegan

John D. Finnegan

Pros:
  • "Once you settle in there is a lot of flexibility in regards to work life balance"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Accepatable Pay, Good Benefits, Work/Life Balance is OK"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very old fashioned in the way that things are run, stagnant room for growth"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Because it is a good company to work for - people tend not to leave and that limits the opportunities for advancement"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent Organization with Top Tier Management

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOne of the strongest insurance companies in the world. Lots of opportunities to move up the corporate ladder.

ConsCompany operates very conservatively (after all, this is insurance, not Silicon Valley). This may be frustrating for individuals looking to be major innovators.

Advice to Senior ManagementExcellent job moving the company through the financial crisis. The strength of the company is only becoming apparent.

Chubb Corp

Operations/Quality Vice President (Current Employee)
Warren, NJ

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEthical, fair, non discriminatory work environment. Reasonable advancement opportunities. Very good benefits package. Strong financial position.

ConsPay tends to be between market's mid-point and first quartile upper limit.

Excellent

I have been working at Chubb Corp

Prosgreat values, solid reputation for integrity, trust, financnial strength

Consflattening organization, fewer advacement opportunities

Excellent

I have been working at Chubb Corp

ProsManagement rewards hard work, promotes team players, and provides various opportunities for employees to improve, network, and advance. The corporation is family friendly, ethics oriented, and provides great benefits. Chubb values experience. Unlike other companies they are not looking to get rid of experienced professionals. This fosters employee confidence, creates a stable work environment, and provides a wealth of knowledge and resources for those who are interested in continual learning and development.

ConsEmployee loyalty and job satisfaction leads to low turnover, which means patience when seeking advancement. Conservative business practices may seem slow moving, but they do provide job security and consistent benefits during difficult economic times when other companies see drastic cut backs.

15.5 year veteran of the Chubb Corporation - 1990-2005

IT Audit Manager (Current Employee)
Warren, NJ

I have been working at Chubb Corp

ProsLearning environment; recognition of talent; ability to be promoted; well respected by managers and senior management; GLTB friendly

ConsTransfers were rather common. Position was transferred and I mistakenly left the company........one of my biggest mistakes I've ever made.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery competent; Always kept you informed as to the success and ongoing progress of the company towards its annual and strategic goals.

Very good

I have been working at Chubb Corp

ProsOld school values. The peers and management I interfaced and worked with are flexible and willing to follow-through with their agendas.

ConsThe environment is not available for suitable reality review due to other world problems and unrelated events, condoning the mixed messages derived.

Advice to Senior ManagementOld school values. The peers and management I interfaced and worked with are flexible and willing to follow-through with their agendas.

Great place to work. Pay for performance atmosphere. Generous paid time off allowance.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chubb Corp

ProsNice office setting. Decent computers. Pay for performance is great because for those that work hard are paid well with bonuses. Those that are there to just get by and get a paycheck twice a month are the complainers. When a person takes pride in the quality of their work and actually care about producing error free product are compensated well. Average medical and dental benefits. Matching 401k. Annual holiday party and a few paid lunches throughout the year. Excellnt compensation for above average employees.

ConsSome upper management have no clue as to how hard it is to keep up with proper workflows, new changes and workarounds. We are not computers so its impossible to remember all of this data.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer better medical and dental insurance. More paid lunches during the year at nice restaurants would be nice (catered lunches) that is. An annual Christmas of $100 would be nice

Great place to work

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Chubb Corp

ProsCompany is ver employee-centric in that there is a great compensation package, great benefits, and room for advancement both professional and persona.

ConsSenior management jumped on the outsourcing bandwagon for wrong reasons resulting in many jobs being eliminated unnecessarily. Vendors used under performed so much so that many employees were hired back from vendors.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should look internally at extremely capable employee base instead of outsourcing key functions.

Great place to work on the little insurance stuff

Underwriter (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat Company - takes care of employees
Lots of upward mobility
Money is not half bad
Work life balance is terrific

ConsWork is not challenging
Same old same old day in and day out
Need to think outside the box, please

Advice to Senior ManagementGet creative. Stop resting on your past performance. You have employees who would die for you - show them love

Absolutely great company but going through some changes!

Underwriter Associate (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chubb Corp

ProsThe knowledge of the industry you will gain, as well as, the company benefits. They take training very seriously and have many outlets for growth in that area. Also their name recognition will take you very far in the industry!

ConsChubb is not known for high salary compensation. They can afford to not be on the high end of the pay scale within the industry because they are one of the best insurance companies in the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo not be afraid of dropping the hammer on the inadequate people, it's important to get rid of the low achievers.

Worked for Chubb Corp? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chubb Corp reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chubb Corp CEO John D. Finnegan. All 135 reviews posted anonymously by Chubb Corp employees.