Chubb Corp

Be The First To
Add Photos

Chubb Corp Chairman, President, and CEO John D. Finnegan

John D. Finnegan

Pros
  • The work life balance is very good and the compensation package is quite good(in 23 reviews)

• Good Benefits including health insurance , Decent Bonus(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Few opportunities for advancement unless you are in the "inner circle(in 8 reviews)

• Company promotes work life balance, but doesn't seem to readily give it(in 7 reviews)

Overall, good insurance company

Claims Examiner (Current Employee)

ProsReputable property and casualty insurance company. Provides insurance industry education to their employees for the insurance industry

ConsLong hours required in order to meet best Requires long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementBest practices should be revised to reflect realistic expectations

Great company and work environment

Underwriter Trainee (Current Employee)

Pros-Being trained at Chubb to be an underwriter is great on a resume.
    -Work-life balance is fantastic and management is very flexible.
    -Senior management have proven to be great mentors. They want you to succeed.
    -At this point in my career, I feel there's room for advancement, which helps motivate me.
    -Great benefits
    -Friendly and supportive coworkers. I enjoy coming to work each day.

Cons-I wish the pay was a little higher, but doesn't everyone?
    -The technology isn't great.
    -Colleagues feel it takes a long time to get promoted.
               -A clearer path to a promotion is what many want.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince Finnegan took over in 2002, he has consolidated the company and "trimmed the fat" off the company. It's much more cost-conscious now than it once was. That's great for shareholders but not as great for employees. More money could be spent on technological improvements instead of buying back shares (i.e. $1.5 billion spent in January 2014). Also, the elimination of many leadership positions means that there are fewer spots for younger employees to move into. That being said, the insurance industry being one that has a higher average age than say finance, impending retirements in the next ten years or so will allow for more advancement down the line.

My advice: Recognize employees who perform well with promotions and raises so talent stays here.

Large Insurance Corporation that is interested in making immediate profit by outsourcing its key development divisions.

Programmer CPI-IT (Former Employee) Whitehouse Station, NJ

ProsGreat learning experience, wonderful technical experience. good co-workers.

ConsLong hours, little recognition, no room for advancement, middle management demonstrated that great programmers do not always make great managers. Managers need to be unbiased, and have excellent communication and people skills, CEO's mandate for a flat budget year to year kept salaries from increasing. Even though the company experienced record-setting profits several years in a row.

Advice to Senior Management2 Part advice - 1) Talk to your employees, hear their ambitions and interests, and give them opportunities to grow and groom for advancement. Stop promoting people simply because they excel in their current position. Great programmers DO NOT always make great managers. 2) Outsourcing your IT divisions is a temporary financial solution. History has shown that it eventually causes companies to fall far behind the competition, and the current CEO will be long gone by the time the effects are felt.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work if your motivated and talented.

Loss Control Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsHard work pays off! Harder work pays very well.

ConsYou've got to kill it to get it.

They hire good people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStable company, hire good people, stock options

ConsSince family members have retired, the Chubb company has changed culture. It is now totally focused on the bottom line and not it's best asset, it's employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back some of the early family culture

Chubb has Great benefits offered

Financial Technician (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat benefits are offered at Chubb

ConsNot a lot of advancement opportunities

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsWill help to build a decent 401k plan

ConsNot much room for growth.

Great corporate work environment

ProsFriendly culture allows for a great work-life balance

ConsWork can become fairly repetitive

It used to be a great place to work

ProsThe company itself has a great reputation with it's customers. Good benefits.

ConsManagement no longer seems to care about it's staff. At one time you can tell the company really valued it's employees and it treated them as such. now it seems it doesn't really care about the emloyees at all. Lots of positions outsourced because it's cheaper (although the quality is much worse). Staff is not appreciated at all.

This is why although I'm a current employee I am looking for other opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize your staff is the face of your company. If you want them to represent your company well treat them decently and let them know they are valued.

Apartheid managing

ProsFacility was adequately heated. ;)

ConsTechnically hired as a contract legal bill reviewer by a temp agency, which is a slick way for Chubb to avoid employment laws and to sub-contract out management of temps. Chubb uses more than one agency to find temporary workers for its legal cost management unit. The goal is to bilk attorneys who are hired to defend/represent Chubb insureds when they are sued. So they train temps in how to reduce the amounts paid to the attorneys, and meanwhile, treat the temps as expendable. A very strange environment. Also in the building, are claim adjusters and their support and managers - who are paid great salaries if they started before the banking crisis in 2008, great benefits, and live as higher class workers. TWO different systems in place. One being the old way; the other being the new. I realize they have to deliver returns to their shareholders (and upper management), but it felt like slave labor.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat goes around comes around. Eventually, the people and businesses that literally entrust you to defend them will find out that you are being so tight with their attorneys that it amounts to managing the entire litigation (taking that right away even when policy-holders have paid to make their own decisions). You will lose market share. Honesty counts, and taking such advantage of the market that you have old staff who are treated well, and more recent staff who are temps working at your mercy should be punishable if not here on earth, than somewhere else.

Worked for Chubb Corp? Contribute to the Community!