Chubb Corp

Be The First To
Add Photos

Chubb Corp Chairman, President, and CEO John D. Finnegan

John D. Finnegan

Pros:
  • "Once you settle in there is a lot of flexibility in regards to work life balance"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Excellent training; good benefits; fairly good opportunities to move around and post for other jobs"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very old fashioned in the way that things are run, stagnant room for growth"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Work/Life balance not what it should be, Chubb does truly get all that they can from their employees"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Backstabbing Cretins - you have been warned!!!!

Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHealth Benefits are good, salary competitive and I honestly can't remember what else was good about this company, I am sure there are more, I guess the cons have overridden the pros.

ConsI worked in Claims IT and was assured by others who came into Claims IT from other departments and who eventually left the group, that the rest of the company is not like this. When I left I had to pull all of the knives out of my back. I advise anyone to stay away from this group. Chubb as a whole I hear is a good company to work for, but I wasn't sorry when they layed me off, the grass is greener on the other side, trust me.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to foster an atmosphere where in order to get ahead that you don't have to stab your co-worker in the back.

Great culture, solid training, awesome people, competitive salaries, lots of responsibility

Senior Underwriter (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAs an Underwriter:
-Lots of responsibility from day 1
-competitive pay and good bonus potential
-great people; I no longer work there but have many close friends still with the company
-fantastic training relative to competition

Cons-Difficult to move upward;
-limited global opportunities

Advice to Senior Managementfocus more on non-underwriting, value-add opportunities like integrating all IT systems onto one platform;
take more admin duties off of underwriters' hands and push to other groups. Underwriters should spend as much time as possible with high-level account management and with business development.

Used to be a great, close-knit company - now only the bottom line is important.

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 8 years

ProsExcellent training; good benefits; fairly good opportunities to move around and post for other jobs.

ConsNo work/life balance. Tons of layoffs and "restructuring" have been happening over the last couple of years. No true regard for people as human beings - a very cold corporate environment. People are here one day and gone the next - and there's no info about what happened. Very unsettling to those of us left behind.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey won't listen. Paul Krump and Harold Morrison are good LEADERS. Everyone respects them and wants to work in their world. Hr is a mess - someone really needs to look at it. Can't get an answer out of anyone.

Friendly Working environment, too rigid a company

Underwriting Trainee (Former Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Chubb Corp as an intern for less than a year

Prosvery friendly colleagues,
flexible lunch time
good enough perks

Consfailure to expand and capture the right market fast enough.
salary not attractive enough
colleagues always on emails even on vacation

Advice to Senior Managementinvest more in talents and move out of the rigidity of a old insurance firm

Over the top micromanagement...leadership is totally incompetant. Unreal politics.

Claims Examiner (Current Employee)
Simsbury, CT

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood Cafeteria and Good gym. Most co workers are pleasant and helpful. Free Parking. Office supplies are readily available for use.

ConsOver whelming micromanagement based on short sighted, "clueless to the actual job Best Practices"
Supervisors are "robots" for managements unrealistic whims.
Management/Supervisors will throw you under the bus in the blink of an eye.
Work load is mind boggling- you would have to work 7 days a week 12-16 hours a day to keep up.
When you can't keep up by putting in hours beyond a normal 8 hour day, you get hammered on your review and NO BONUS.
VP of Simsbury, CT Specialty claims division is an ego driven, pathelogical liar.
Morale is in the gutter. Atmosphere of strong mistrust of management.
No management leadership and zero confidence in management from employees.
Extraordinary amount of turn over and employee burn out.
Highly charged political atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire Specialty Claims VP of the Northeast Zone- Simsbury, CT. sweeping terminations of management and supervisory personnel in Simsbury, CT location.
Install employees in to management positions who know the job and can lead.
Stop worrying so much about your stock price and worry more about staffing being sufficient to perform the job correctly.

Department had too much turnover

Underwriter Associate (Former Employee)
Whitehouse, NJ

I worked at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 8 years

ProsStable company, very diverse, used to have more of a family environment

ConsHard to keep a fully staffed team. People would only stay a few months to a year before leaving (most of them ljust up and quit). Agents and remaining staff were very frustrated and this pattern continued for at least 3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide some incentive to stay and weather the storm. Do things to boost morale and people will have a sense of loyalty to stay.

sr underwriter

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
São Salvador, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSolid financials, very diversified company.

Conssometimes too conservative underwriter approach - follows others rather than leading others

Advice to Senior Managementnew products, new classes of business to target

Call Center Rep

Call Center - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 5 years

Prospaid time off and friendly co workers

ConsMicro managed, doesn't offer coffee, you pay for company event and not family friendly

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN and not think about what you are going to say... missing out on good ideas

Could do better - UA perspective

Underwriter Associate (Current Employee)
Warren, NJ

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat business environment, good operational training services, management is dedicated to assisting you in your career.

ConsThe workload is UTTERLY RIDICULOUS, the amount of tasks needed to be completed in an 8 hour period is unattainable and the worse part is that management turns a blatant blind eye but still expects for you to get the job done and no, there is absolutely no overtime, Compensation....one word, abysmal, Systems are highly outdated. This company is stuck in the stone age.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecrease the workload for UA's, there are items that should solely be the UW's responsibility. Increased salary, you will be surprised at how an increase can be so beneficial to the underwriting process.

Excellent Organization with Top Tier Management

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOne of the strongest insurance companies in the world. Lots of opportunities to move up the corporate ladder.

ConsCompany operates very conservatively (after all, this is insurance, not Silicon Valley). This may be frustrating for individuals looking to be major innovators.

Advice to Senior ManagementExcellent job moving the company through the financial crisis. The strength of the company is only becoming apparent.

Worked for Chubb Corp? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chubb Corp reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chubb Corp CEO John D. Finnegan. All 135 reviews posted anonymously by Chubb Corp employees.