Chubb Corp Reviews

Updated March 25, 2015
202 reviews filtered by

1. Great place to work. Pay for performance atmosphere. Generous paid time off allowance.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Chubb Corp

Pros

Nice office setting. Decent computers. Pay for performance is great because for those that work hard are paid well with bonuses. Those that are there to just get by and get a paycheck twice a month are the complainers. When a person takes pride in the quality of their work and actually care about producing error free product are compensated well. Average medical and dental benefits. Matching 401k. Annual holiday party and a few paid lunches throughout the year. Excellnt compensation for above average employees.

Cons

Some upper management have no clue as to how hard it is to keep up with proper workflows, new changes and workarounds. We are not computers so its impossible to remember all of this data.

Offer better medical and dental insurance. More paid lunches during the year at nice restaurants would be nice (catered lunches) that is. An annual Christmas of $100 would be nice

2. Great place to work

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Chubb Corp

Pros

Company is ver employee-centric in that there is a great compensation package, great benefits, and room for advancement both professional and persona.

Cons

Senior management jumped on the outsourcing bandwagon for wrong reasons resulting in many jobs being eliminated unnecessarily. Vendors used under performed so much so that many employees were hired back from vendors.

Management should look internally at extremely capable employee base instead of outsourcing key functions.

3. Great place to work on the little insurance stuff

Current Employee - Underwriter in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Chubb Corp

Pros

Great Company - takes care of employees
    Lots of upward mobility
    Money is not half bad
    Work life balance is terrific

Cons

Work is not challenging
    Same old same old day in and day out
    Need to think outside the box, please

Get creative. Stop resting on your past performance. You have employees who would die for you - show them love

Absolutely great company but going through some changes!

Current Employee - Underwriter Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Underwriter Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chubb Corp

Pros

The knowledge of the industry you will gain, as well as, the company benefits. They take training very seriously and have many outlets for growth in that area. Also their name recognition will take you very far in the industry!

Cons

Chubb is not known for high salary compensation. They can afford to not be on the high end of the pay scale within the industry because they are one of the best insurance companies in the business.

To not be afraid of dropping the hammer on the inadequate people, it's important to get rid of the low achievers.

6. Underwriting

I have been working at Chubb Corp

Pros

Great training and good people

Cons

Too political sometimes but fair

7. The first 10 years were good, but had to watch my back.

Former Employee - Senior Underwriter I
    Former Employee - Senior Underwriter I

I worked at Chubb Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I liked the reputation of Chubb, as it made it easy to sell. Benefits were great, pay was adequate.

Cons

1. HR had no integrity. Complaint were not taken seriously, even sexual harassment. They protected the lifers in mgmt.
    2. Local mgmt felt they were entitled. Branch mgmt had head in sand.
    3. Investigate your local management before signing on (Google them). For example, my manager was a sociopath.
    4. Systems antiquated.
    5. Too meant layers of management made it difficult to get deals done.

1. Stop protecting your inbred lifers. The deadweight stays and the talent leaves doing great things elsewhere (using Chubb philosophies and core values).
    2. I want to thank Chubb for training me - I've found much success elsewhere. I'm well respected and making a bucket of money now!

8. Great company

Current Employee - Underwriter
    Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment and office culture. Lots of flexibility.

Cons

Company should value more professional development and growth

provide more opportunities to existing employees

9. Good

Current Employee - Claim in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Claim in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very flexible and good work-family balance

Cons

there are no major cons. There is a particular culture you need to fit into.

Fantastic learning environment

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They really take the time to introduce underwriting and insurance to their new employees, even if you have some experience in the field. They go above and beyond with exposing the thought processes and strategies in a safe classroom environment which really prepares you for the job. The people are friendly and eager to help each other and their agents, and the workload is manageable, although it can get chaotic.

There are flexible work options available, but that really depends on your management. Some of them are steeped in old workflows where face time means productivity rather than actual productivity metrics. The PTO time is decent enough and you can roll over time as well. The benefits are great and quite affordable.

Cons

The systems appear as though they haven't been updated since the 70s. If you're someone who falls in the "millennial" generation and you've worked with technology since you've been big enough to sit in a chair, prepare to be flabbergasted at these systems. They're not intuitive in the least, and you have to be an IT whisperer to get them to work in a way that allows you to get your work done. Hand to the sky, there are workarounds for every single interaction you will have with it. This is a massive con for me, because although I love the company as a whole, you can't stay here forever because of the systems. Your technology skills will atrophy, so while you'll have the fantastic underwriting knowledge that's a dying (or retiring!) Science, you won't have the skills to apply it should you one day find yourself at another company. The dinosaur technology alone means you're hired with an expiration date, unfortunately. There is no plan announced to update these systems either, so absorb as much as you can and build your career best you can until the situation forces you to seek out opportunities elsewhere just to stay competitive and competent in the industry.

A more even application of flexible work opportunities would be appreciated too. It's awesome to have that option, but when your management won't allow it because they believe in "old fashioned work ethics" and "face time is important" it becomes a moot point. The company is quickly greying, as is the rest of the industry, so in order to prepare your staff and your company for the future more needs to be done to create an appropriate, modern work atmosphere. Your competitors have done it successfully, and you're just as good as they are.

-even application of flexible work policies across all offices.
    -update your technologies/systems
    -keep reinvesting in your people

11. Good company

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits with salary and bonus.

Cons

Jon security can be unstable. Lots if micro managers.