Chubb Corp Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

3.8

Chubb Corp Chairman, President, and CEO John D. Finnegan
John D. Finnegan

Pros
  • The work life balance is very good and the compensation package is quite good (in 23 reviews)

• Good Benefits including health insurance , Decent Bonus (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Few opportunities for advancement unless you are in the "inner circle (in 8 reviews)

• Company promotes work life balance, but doesn't seem to readily give it (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company

Current Employee - Underwriter
    Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good career opportunities in NJ

Cons

Retail Branches don't have good career opportunities.

Good Company Overall

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Accepatable Pay, Good Benefits, Work/Life Balance is OK

Cons

Tough to get promotions, Very Political, Middle Management is generally apathetic about their employees

Fix the Cons

Solid company to work for, proud to work at the company

Current Employee - Personal Lines Appraiser
    Current Employee - Personal Lines Appraiser

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Coworkers are top notch, loyal, and ethical; products are superior and easy to sell, company does invest in the top performers,

Cons

Small size field branches mean lack of opportunities to move within the branch, medical benefit options have continuted to decrease over the years, company can be slow to change, not easy to access higher authority, wish more opportunities for advancement

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challanging

I have been working at Chubb Corp

Pros

Great pay, people, senior management

Cons

Heavy workload and takes a while to gain more authority

Not a Career

Current Employee - Customer Service Claims Representative  in  Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Claims Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generous PTO (17 days); consistent work schedule

Cons

No advacement
    Underpaid for the quality and quantity of work expected
    Outdated , slow computer systems
    They like to almost excusively hire college grads for the call ceter, but they don't pay extra for the education (pay is below what someone with a GED would get at Geico in Virginia Beach). Added to that, there's no advancement; so, unless you got your degree to make $30,000 in a call center your entire career, don't expect to work here for more than a year or two. Everyone under 35 leaves within that timeframe for this reason.

Upgrade computer systems. We shouldn't have to place callers on hold for 3-5 minutes just to wait to get to the next screen.
    Cultivate a culture of promoting from within.
    Pay for what you expect. Don't offer below average pay and expect above average work. You'll wind up with high turnover and the poor customer service that comes with it.

Politics over achievements

I worked at Chubb Corp

Pros

Company will be around for some time due to conservative business practices.

Cons

Many employees are hired based on whether they know someone in management. Management does not promote based on work achievements. Ideas are not taking into consideration from non-management. Software is antiquated and is in dire need of upgrades.

Foster a culture that seeks to rewards those who truly earn it rather than attempting to appease someone by hiring their relatives. Also it would be a good idea to implement a system that has 360 feedback so that everyone is held accountable, not just by their superiors.

Backstabbing Cretins - you have been warned!!!!

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst  in  Warren, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Warren, NJ

I worked at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Health Benefits are good, salary competitive and I honestly can't remember what else was good about this company, I am sure there are more, I guess the cons have overridden the pros.

Cons

I worked in Claims IT and was assured by others who came into Claims IT from other departments and who eventually left the group, that the rest of the company is not like this. When I left I had to pull all of the knives out of my back. I advise anyone to stay away from this group. Chubb as a whole I hear is a good company to work for, but I wasn't sorry when they layed me off, the grass is greener on the other side, trust me.

Try to foster an atmosphere where in order to get ahead that you don't have to stab your co-worker in the back.

Used to be a great, close-knit company - now only the bottom line is important.

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Warren, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Warren, NJ

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent training; good benefits; fairly good opportunities to move around and post for other jobs.

Cons

No work/life balance. Tons of layoffs and "restructuring" have been happening over the last couple of years. No true regard for people as human beings - a very cold corporate environment. People are here one day and gone the next - and there's no info about what happened. Very unsettling to those of us left behind.

They won't listen. Paul Krump and Harold Morrison are good LEADERS. Everyone respects them and wants to work in their world. Hr is a mess - someone really needs to look at it. Can't get an answer out of anyone.

Over the top micromanagement...leadership is totally incompetant. Unreal politics.

Current Employee - Claims Examiner  in  Simsbury, CT
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Simsbury, CT

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good Cafeteria and Good gym. Most co workers are pleasant and helpful. Free Parking. Office supplies are readily available for use.

Cons

Over whelming micromanagement based on short sighted, "clueless to the actual job Best Practices"
    Supervisors are "robots" for managements unrealistic whims.
    Management/Supervisors will throw you under the bus in the blink of an eye.
    Work load is mind boggling- you would have to work 7 days a week 12-16 hours a day to keep up.
    When you can't keep up by putting in hours beyond a normal 8 hour day, you get hammered on your review and NO BONUS.
    VP of Simsbury, CT Specialty claims division is an ego driven, pathelogical liar.
    Morale is in the gutter. Atmosphere of strong mistrust of management.
    No management leadership and zero confidence in management from employees.
    Extraordinary amount of turn over and employee burn out.
    Highly charged political atmosphere.

Fire Specialty Claims VP of the Northeast Zone- Simsbury, CT. sweeping terminations of management and supervisory personnel in Simsbury, CT location.
    Install employees in to management positions who know the job and can lead.
    Stop worrying so much about your stock price and worry more about staffing being sufficient to perform the job correctly.

Department had too much turnover

Former Employee - Underwriter Associate  in  Whitehouse, NJ
    Former Employee - Underwriter Associate in Whitehouse, NJ

I worked at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Stable company, very diverse, used to have more of a family environment

Cons

Hard to keep a fully staffed team. People would only stay a few months to a year before leaving (most of them ljust up and quit). Agents and remaining staff were very frustrated and this pattern continued for at least 3 years.

Provide some incentive to stay and weather the storm. Do things to boost morale and people will have a sense of loyalty to stay.

Worked for Chubb Corp? Contribute to the Community!