Chubb Corp Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
3.7

Chubb Corp Chairman, President, and CEO John D. Finnegan
John D. Finnegan

Pros
  • The work life balance is very good and the compensation package is quite good (in 23 reviews)

• Good Benefits including health insurance , Decent Bonus (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Few opportunities for advancement unless you are in the "inner circle (in 8 reviews)

• Company promotes work life balance, but doesn't seem to readily give it (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Politics over achievements

I worked at Chubb Corp

Pros

Company will be around for some time due to conservative business practices.

Cons

Many employees are hired based on whether they know someone in management. Management does not promote based on work achievements. Ideas are not taking into consideration from non-management. Software is antiquated and is in dire need of upgrades.

Foster a culture that seeks to rewards those who truly earn it rather than attempting to appease someone by hiring their relatives. Also it would be a good idea to implement a system that has 360 feedback so that everyone is held accountable, not just by their superiors.

Used to be a great, close-knit company - now only the bottom line is important.

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Warren, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Warren, NJ

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent training; good benefits; fairly good opportunities to move around and post for other jobs.

Cons

No work/life balance. Tons of layoffs and "restructuring" have been happening over the last couple of years. No true regard for people as human beings - a very cold corporate environment. People are here one day and gone the next - and there's no info about what happened. Very unsettling to those of us left behind.

They won't listen. Paul Krump and Harold Morrison are good LEADERS. Everyone respects them and wants to work in their world. Hr is a mess - someone really needs to look at it. Can't get an answer out of anyone.

Backstabbing Cretins - you have been warned!!!!

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst  in  Warren, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Warren, NJ

I worked at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Health Benefits are good, salary competitive and I honestly can't remember what else was good about this company, I am sure there are more, I guess the cons have overridden the pros.

Cons

I worked in Claims IT and was assured by others who came into Claims IT from other departments and who eventually left the group, that the rest of the company is not like this. When I left I had to pull all of the knives out of my back. I advise anyone to stay away from this group. Chubb as a whole I hear is a good company to work for, but I wasn't sorry when they layed me off, the grass is greener on the other side, trust me.

Try to foster an atmosphere where in order to get ahead that you don't have to stab your co-worker in the back.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Over the top micromanagement...leadership is totally incompetant. Unreal politics.

Current Employee - Claims Examiner  in  Simsbury, CT
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Simsbury, CT

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good Cafeteria and Good gym. Most co workers are pleasant and helpful. Free Parking. Office supplies are readily available for use.

Cons

Over whelming micromanagement based on short sighted, "clueless to the actual job Best Practices"
    Supervisors are "robots" for managements unrealistic whims.
    Management/Supervisors will throw you under the bus in the blink of an eye.
    Work load is mind boggling- you would have to work 7 days a week 12-16 hours a day to keep up.
    When you can't keep up by putting in hours beyond a normal 8 hour day, you get hammered on your review and NO BONUS.
    VP of Simsbury, CT Specialty claims division is an ego driven, pathelogical liar.
    Morale is in the gutter. Atmosphere of strong mistrust of management.
    No management leadership and zero confidence in management from employees.
    Extraordinary amount of turn over and employee burn out.
    Highly charged political atmosphere.

Fire Specialty Claims VP of the Northeast Zone- Simsbury, CT. sweeping terminations of management and supervisory personnel in Simsbury, CT location.
    Install employees in to management positions who know the job and can lead.
    Stop worrying so much about your stock price and worry more about staffing being sufficient to perform the job correctly.

Department had too much turnover

Former Employee - Underwriter Associate  in  Whitehouse, NJ
    Former Employee - Underwriter Associate in Whitehouse, NJ

I worked at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Stable company, very diverse, used to have more of a family environment

Cons

Hard to keep a fully staffed team. People would only stay a few months to a year before leaving (most of them ljust up and quit). Agents and remaining staff were very frustrated and this pattern continued for at least 3 years.

Provide some incentive to stay and weather the storm. Do things to boost morale and people will have a sense of loyalty to stay.

Call Center Rep

Current Employee - CALL CENTER - CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE  in  Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - CALL CENTER - CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

paid time off and friendly co workers

Cons

Micro managed, doesn't offer coffee, you pay for company event and not family friendly

LISTEN and not think about what you are going to say... missing out on good ideas

Could do better - UA perspective

Current Employee - Underwriter Associate  in  Warren, NJ
    Current Employee - Underwriter Associate in Warren, NJ

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great business environment, good operational training services, management is dedicated to assisting you in your career.

Cons

The workload is UTTERLY RIDICULOUS, the amount of tasks needed to be completed in an 8 hour period is unattainable and the worse part is that management turns a blatant blind eye but still expects for you to get the job done and no, there is absolutely no overtime, Compensation....one word, abysmal, Systems are highly outdated. This company is stuck in the stone age.

Decrease the workload for UA's, there are items that should solely be the UW's responsibility. Increased salary, you will be surprised at how an increase can be so beneficial to the underwriting process.

Chubb Corp

Current Employee - Operations/Quality Vice President  in  Warren, NJ
    Current Employee - Operations/Quality Vice President in Warren, NJ

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Ethical, fair, non discriminatory work environment. Reasonable advancement opportunities. Very good benefits package. Strong financial position.

Cons

Pay tends to be between market's mid-point and first quartile upper limit.

It's okay.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Chubb Corp

Pros

The company is very good at work life balance.

Cons

Low pay and no room for growth. Not to mention the systems are very old and it's hard to get work done.

Listen more to employees, and upgrade systems.

Treat the job as Claims U and move on once you get what you need.

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  Simsbury, CT
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Simsbury, CT

I worked at Chubb Corp

Pros

The people that work here are great and there was a sense of teamwork. The health benefits were good and the FLEX time was great. You will learn a lot of information as there was constant training. There was a sense of independence as long as you got your work done.

Cons

Extremely High volume of work and unobtainable goals. This is a claims field so expect no praise and only criticism. This is how you will learn quickly. You will never meet expectations and every error you make is focused on (as in any claims field) . Very low pay and no opportunities for advancement. Since it is a small office it is very political (its masked as competitive) environment and you are not paid for performance. This was a high turn over high volume high stress entry level position. Treat this position as if you are a student in school. Learn everything you can and keep all materials. This is not an area where you will advance - this is an area to learn as much as possible. You will be able to bring this knowledge to a new company where you will be looked upon as an asset and paid for your performance.

Worked for Chubb Corp? Contribute to the Community!