Chuck E. Cheese's

Updated February 24, 2015
2.8

Chuck E. Cheese's CEO Tom Leverton
Tom Leverton

Pros
  • If you are 16 years old and looking for a first job, this would be a good one (in 14 reviews)

• Pretty Fun environment to be around (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Having done the jobs, they were absolutely not worth minimum wage (in 17 reviews)

• The company doesn't have a chance of succeeding with current upper management in place (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

A neutral experience.

I have been working at Chuck E. Cheese's

Pros

Half Of on food, free drinks, get to play after hours.

Cons

There's no flexible hours, no personal growth, stuck on minimum wage, Short Hours.

Need to train crew better.

Wonderful

Current Employee - Party Hostess in Kendall, FL
    Current Employee - Party Hostess in Kendall, FL

I have been working at Chuck E. Cheese's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pros to this job is that if you want to study something in the major of hospitality it is well worth it. it gives you a feel of the type of environment, excluding kids of course. Also free pizza is always the best. To add on its a great first job for many teenagers, it may be tedious but it teaches responsibility and organization.

Cons

The only con would be the kids and parents, but once again CEC is a place "where a kid could be a kid" so when applying for this job you should have a clear mindset of what it would be like. You often see some of the workers are unhappy but that's because they don't like children, and thats a problem when working at kids place.

i love my management, but more hours would be nice!

Pretty Good Job

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Chuck E. Cheese's

Pros

Flexible schedule, great coworkers, never a dull moment

Cons

If you don't like kids, do not apply

Good Place

I worked at Chuck E. Cheese's

Pros

Cool Atmosphere, discounts, flexible, Growth

Cons

Managers dont help out too much

Working for the Mouse

I have been working at Chuck E. Cheese's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is OK to work for the mouse, it puts a smile on everyone's face.

Cons

Like all companies now, most our employees are over worked and under paid.

Spread the load

Very good first job to have.

Former Employee - Dining Room Attendant/Party Hostess in Canton, MI
    Former Employee - Dining Room Attendant/Party Hostess in Canton, MI

I worked at Chuck E. Cheese's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working as a party hostess/DRA was a very decent job because not only were the tips from the parties very VERY nice (I was tipped upwards of almost $200 a one point and that was in addition to the normal $8.25), this job allows for plenty of customer interaction, and a variety of interesting tasks. I personally felt that working out front doing parties was a lot better than being stuck working in the kitchen or being at the register. DRAs had a lot of responsibilities but we also get to participate in some of the most fun things too, such as singing happy birthday and cutting the cake, ect. Doing the birthday show was also a lot of fun. In addition, being a party hostess allowed for a lot of versatility that keeps you moving around; you aren't stuck in one spot like the kitchen, or kid check or the cashiers. You are always moving around and interacting with people and you are directly interacting with families and kids most of the time which is really nice if you want to garner people skills.

Cons

Being a party hostess was also much more stressful than the other jobs (in my opinion) because a lot is expected from you because they are able to move around so much. A lot of tasks and duties are assigned to you, and so while you are expected to take care and maintain your party, you are also expected to keep the store clean, and to run food and to make sure everyone else out front is happy too. The parties are not your only priority and this can be really stressful because you really want to focus on your party (after all they are the ones tipping you), but alas you have to try and divide your attention. Additionally, closing was the absolute worst. The kitchen and cashiers always got to close up first, so even if we all had the same amount to clean, the DRAs were always the last to finish (this might have been the case because we had an especially large store AND the front of our store was a lot larger in comparison to the kitchen/back of the store). But honestly speaking, the worst part of the job was closing. On average, it would take me anywhere from 2-4 hours to close, depending on the day. And considering we would close at 11 on Saturday and Friday, this would mean getting off at least 1-2am, and that's after vigorous cleaning. It would be a workout closing the store and I would dread closing more than anything. I didn't really start to enjoy working at Chuck E. Cheese until I stopped closing regularly because it would stress me out so much. Long story short: closing at Chuck E. Cheese sucks.

Management isn't always organized with the way they direct us when things got hectic in the winter/spring (first quarter as they called it). When things got really busy, things got very chaotic and they weren't very good at delegating tasks. One manager would tell someone to do something and then a minute later tell that same person to go do something else. Communication was a huge problem (amongst the managers). There would be times when we would have no Chuck E. for the birthday show because the person who was supposed to do it, ended up doing something else because a different manager told them to go do it instead!! All in all, they could work on teaching the managers to be better at communication amongst themselves. Also, there was some blatant favoritism, at least the Chuck E. Cheese I worked at. Sure, you see this in a lot of places, but I feel like it was especially bad at my location. (I'm referring to the fact that many people who didn't deserve to be Team 2, ended up being promoted to it despite not really being qualified to do so).

I really enjoyed this job. I got to fix the games and robots.

Former Employee - Assistant Technician in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Technician in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Chuck E. Cheese's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Hours of 7am-2pm. No two days were alike fixing the games and meeting customers and servicing them.

Cons

I didn't like cleaning the ball pit. But they took it out! :)

I glad the ball pit is gone!

Great company, learned a lot.

I have been working at Chuck E. Cheese's

Pros

Learning opportunities, always changing, seeing your employees develope and move up.

Cons

Hard to move up once at a GM level, not a lot of DM's positions open up.

Communicate more at corp level. You sometimes get 3-4 different things coming down to follow which don't work together. DMs are stretched to thin. Create a assistant DM position to help the district managers out, while providing more chances for current GM to move up.

Great place for students to work

Current Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chuck E. Cheese's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Time goes by really quickly, you make a lot of friends, and the work is enjoyable. I always went in with a smile, and I enjoy going into work

Cons

Minimum wage, long shifts, late hours. Way too much work for minimum wage. It's really hard to move up in the company, and the raises are minimal

Okay for Part Time

Former Employee - Party Hostess
    Former Employee - Party Hostess

I worked at Chuck E. Cheese's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Ability to learn various aspects of the store's operation.

Cons

Little room for upward mobility, low pay

Invest more in your young employees.