Chuck E. Cheese's

Updated January 21, 2015
2.8

Chuck E. Cheese's CEO Tom Leverton
Tom Leverton

Pros
  • If you are 16 years old and looking for a first job, this would be a good one (in 14 reviews)

• Pretty Fun environment to be around (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Having done the jobs, they were absolutely not worth minimum wage (in 17 reviews)

• The company doesn't have a chance of succeeding with current upper management in place (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Best roller coaster ride I've been on

Current Employee - Cashier ≫ Trainer ≫ Manager
    Current Employee - Cashier ≫ Trainer ≫ Manager

I have been working at Chuck E. Cheese's

Pros

Fast paced environment that really keeps you going. It really shows who cares about working hard and driving themselves up to doing better. If you work hard there is no reason you can't get promoted or a raise. People complain nowadays that they get stuck making minimum wage for a job but I started at minimum wage and I am now doing very good compared to others. If you put forth the mentality and effort with your job you can drive yourself up the ladder to higher positions.

Cons

Some teenage employees these days just don't understand the concept of working hard and there has to be so much documentation to cut your losses which makes you stuck with them for awhile.
    New company policies come out quick without warning that really strain the environment with how they effect day to day operations. Since there is the restaurant and the arcade there are two lines of management, technical and operations. Sometimes operations tries to control technical stuff and sometimes technical tries to control operations stuff which really doesn't help situations when people don't want you trying to control their turf. There needs to be a more defined boundary.

Doing a lot of stuff right which is really driving this company forward but they need to know when they roll things out company wide that there should be some exceptions for certain stores that just cannot handle it because of location, staand, sales, budget, etc. Tom Leverton is doing a great job at bringing this company into the place it needs to be.

Good second job, horrible hours.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Chuck E. Cheese's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

At first the job was really great, fun, easy and had super flexible scheduling.

Cons

You don't get promoted based on skills or obvious ability to take on more challenges. Promotions are based on seniority (even when the people who definitely do NOT deserve to be promoted, get promoted just because they have worked there longer). Select managers are nice, some were mean.

Listen to your employees. They are the eyes and ears of the workplace, they are the ones running around catering to everyone's needs. Treat them with more respect, dont play favorites, and for goodness sakes let your employees know you appreciate them every now and then.

Great Team and First Job. Be ready to work!

Former Employee - Birthday Hostess, Cashier, DA, Kid Check in Redding, CA
    Former Employee - Birthday Hostess, Cashier, DA, Kid Check in Redding, CA

I worked at Chuck E. Cheese's (less than a year)

Pros

There is plenty of room to grow with this company. You start at kid check, then do dining room assistant, birthday hostess or game room, cashier, and even kitchen. Since everyone is down that works here a lot of people leave for school so that way you can go to manager positions in time. You make minimum-wage but if you are a birthday hostess you can get up to $50 tips just from one party which was pretty nice. Very nice scheduling and able to work around my school schedule as well as other jobs.

Cons

Very extensive work you have to put up with a lot of parents the children are not bad that the parents can be. Everything goes fast paced and must be perfect at the same time but that is a skill every employer will want. Small shifts not many hours available.

Have more team meetings so that way the team can be cohesive when working together so everyone is on the same page.

Worked my way up

Current Employee - Technical Manager
    Current Employee - Technical Manager

I have been working at Chuck E. Cheese's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun environment.
    On the job training.

Cons

Pay is just OK.
    Technical managers need to be able to come in sooner to work on games when guests are not there.

Let Technicians come in earlier to achieve the goals that are set for us.

If it wasn't for bad pay and no current advancement opportunities due to my age I would have still been there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Streamwood, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Streamwood, IL

I worked at Chuck E. Cheese's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment! Different work areas that keep you busy. There is a lot of interaction with people and kids which I loved! You were not expected to be "blah" you could be yourself and that's what made working fun! You get to see regulars come in and become familiar with families. Very flexible with your schedule. If you're not having a good day, someone here will make your day whether it's a coworker, manager, or a guest/child. Managers are amazing people.

Cons

You either get called off too much or called in frequently depending on the season. For example winters are always way more busy than summers so expect to have many days off during the Summer which depending on your case could be good or bad. Also although I learned all areas my pay was horrible! Couldn't get a raise for some reason and my age prevented me from moving up so I was stuck for some years because despite the horrible pay, lack of consistency in hours, no benefits, and no other ways to move up within the company, I did not want to leave because I loved the environment and the people. Other than that it's a kids place so expect to clean up messes and deal with crying, screaming children at times all while maintaining a positive attitude and smile. One more thing who can forget the Chuck E suit! It's fun I actually enjoyed it but not when I had to wear it every hour, I had things to do.

Management was awesome I just wish there was more communication with district managers and corporate to seek out ways to keep your people. I really loved the place and I would have stayed if all my accomplishments were recognized and if my paychecks proved my success on the job. Maybe hire less people so that those that work hard get their hours and a raise doesn't hurt! I know the majority are part-time as I was and we really didn't have any benefits despite our hard work so maybe that is something to work on. Another thing regarding the Chuck-E suit is to try not to have the same person do it all day. It's fun but not to do it all day, switch out between cast members all day whether they like it or are good at it or not.

Great learning experience, underpaid and under appreciated.

I worked at Chuck E. Cheese's

Pros

This is a great first job. You have the opportunity to learn many different things like Cashiering, Food & Beverage Handling, and Customer Service.

Cons

The managers let you go against corporate rules until corporate is coming, then they change their attitude and treat you like you do nothing right. Very under appreciated and unprofessional. A lot of drama and gossip between the staff and managers.

Keep a better eye and ear on your managers.

Party hostess

Current Employee - Trainer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Trainer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Chuck E. Cheese's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Customer interaction, The chance to make a positive impact on a child's day. A fairly fun work environment.

Cons

No tipping, minimum wage, slightly sexist work environment

Personality check managers for biased opinions

unrealistic

I worked at Chuck E. Cheese's

Pros

you def are in a fast paced place

Cons

micro managed to the bone

relax

Making magic

Current Employee - Team II in Gilroy, CA
    Current Employee - Team II in Gilroy, CA

I have been working at Chuck E. Cheese's

Pros

Get to have fun with kids

Cons

Dealing with idiot people

Keep up the good work

Hostess

I have been working at Chuck E. Cheese's

Pros

Fun, relaxed, good training, flexible

Cons

Unorganized, too many employees, not many scheduled hours