Chugach Alaska

Updated October 27, 2014
Updated October 27, 2014
2.9

Gabriel Kompkoff

One of the best jobs I ever had.

Former Employee - Payroll Technician in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Payroll Technician in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Chugach Alaska full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent payroll system in place. Great Co-Workers. I looked forward to going to work every day. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Management not very accomodating to employees being off work due to an illness. Employees told 2 stay home if you are sick but then when they do they are reprimanded for missing work.

Run Away

Former Employee - Corporate Staff
    Former Employee - Corporate Staff

I worked at Chugach Alaska full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pleasant office environment . Some interesting colleagues

Cons

The only way you learn any company news of real value is through the rumor mill. There was no communication about company's future plans to reorganize to the employees.
    There are so many subsidiaries each with executive staff that make big salaries and travel about to their contract sites for no discernable purpose yet staff salaries are flat.
    To save money, they do not bring in help when someone is out on extended leave; someone else has to do double duty. I was backup for a position when the incumbent took maternity leave, . Not only was I not compensated for working both jobs, my manager did not even thank me.
    Company seems unable to win new contracts. Benefits and leave were cut with no notice.

Be truthful to employees about the diminishing business prospects.

decent

I have been working at Chugach Alaska

Pros

not at this time will do later

Cons

bad severance pay only two weeks

It helps my career.

I have been working at Chugach Alaska

Pros

Work life balance, great pay.

Cons

You need to be a self-starter.

I loved working there, and my Supervisor and co-workers made me feel like i belonged there.

Former Employee - Lead Payroll Trainer in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Lead Payroll Trainer in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Chugach Alaska full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was not like going to work each day, i enjoyed going there each day. I really like doing payroll and each day i had a lot to do so i was not looking for things to do. I like being busy.

Cons

Being able to deal with stress.

You are doing a great job.

Great company with strong values and ethics, great people, and new "vision"

Current Employee - Manager in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Manager in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Chugach Alaska full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- The most incredible colleagues I've met work here; Chugach has some of those most intelligent and kind people.
    - The new CEO has a vision to grow the company, improve operations and engage employees; while change is unsettling for some, you can already see how things are changing for the better and the work environment and outlook for the company is continuously improving.
    - Tons of opportunities for professional and personal growth, and lots of openness for lateral moves within the organization as well; I haven't worked for a company that treats their employees as well as Chugach; and most of the managers are great.
    - Flexible work options

Cons

- Historically, Chugach has worked in government contracting which is declining, which has led to cut-backs in recent years. But the company is in the process of diversifying.
    - Most of the Executive Management team is "new" and recently restructured the company, which always leads to discontent for long-time employees unwilling to adapt to change and do what needs to be done to improve and grow a company.

While communication has improved a lot, you can never share too much information with staff.

Wonderful people, great place to work

I worked at Chugach Alaska full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Intelligent, dedicated staff. Training available and upward mobility was good. Team building exercises and weekly staff meetings a plus.

Cons

Appreciation of one's time management to meet deadlines sometimes was not respected and misunderstood as being unapproachable.

Do not do peer reviews.

Company on a downward track

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Chugach Alaska full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not much besides a fancy building to work in.

Cons

Unable to retain or win new government contracts so laying off staff and reorganizing. Communication from management lacking. Employees were advised that there would be no further layoffs and then more people were cut. Lots of lip service about work-life balance and job growth but not practiced in reality. Should have quit sooner.

Stop the talk about things looking up and be truthful about company's real prospects.

A company on a downward spiral

I have been working at Chugach Alaska full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Independence; little supervisory oversight. Once you reach the 5 year mark, your time off increases. Received annual raises and bonuses, however, most are underpaid when compared with the market. Excellent rumor network.

Cons

Micro-management in that you must cc: your immediate supervisory on all email traffic and then when something is questioned, they do not recall the situation (pointless). Decline in all benefits. About 6-7 years ago, no employee responsibility for health insurance, but once they started making employees pay part, the rates have increased significantly every year, while the benefits have declined every year. 3-4 years ago they moved the goal posts for vacation leave accrual and removed a holiday. Only match 3% for 401K and about 2-3 years ago started charging employees to manage the 401K (including annual audits), with no advance announcement - found out when reviewing 401K statement. Abysmal corporate communication since day 1. Executive management must believe they have communicated what is going on within the company (because they spend so much time traveling to/from Anchorage to meet with each other), that they forget to share with the masses. Rumor mill currently on over drive due to lay offs 15 months ago and more layoffs this week. Company reorganized internally, yet failed to notify employees or even bother to share an org chart. Hard to know who/where to go once things changed. Communication is expected to flow upward; but very little communication from the top down. Company's mission statement is really a bunch of goals for a very distant future, since they do not operate that way today. How does a company that hit the $1B mark sink so quickly?

Regular communication via company portal and/or email to employees. Some of us actually like and believe in the company and would like to turn this ship around. Listen to your employees, quite often they know better, more efficient ways of doing things. Make good decisions, embrace ideas even if they are in disagreement with yours. Next layoff round, examine potential losses from a business perspective; this round many were telecommuters - quite often the least expensive employees with the highest productivity.

Best company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Contracts Manager in Portsmouth, VA
    Current Employee - Contracts Manager in Portsmouth, VA

I have been working at Chugach Alaska full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Upward mobility was good at my site. Training was provided with a clear understanding of what was expected of the employees. Pay and benefits were above average also.

Cons

Time difference between corporate office and east coast. There are a lot of reviews that are negative, but in my experience it was a sad day when the contract I work on was awarded to an ability one contractor.

Keep doing what you were doing when Barney was the CEO