Chugach Alaska
www.chugach-ak.com Anchorage, AK 1000 to 5000 Employees

Chugach Alaska Reviews

Updated Mar 29, 2014
Chugach Alaska – Chesapeake – “Wolf Creek Fabrication Services, Inc. employee”

Gabriel Kompkoff

Wonderful people, great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Chugach Alaska full-time for more than a year

ProsIntelligent, dedicated staff. Training available and upward mobility was good. Team building exercises and weekly staff meetings a plus.

ConsAppreciation of one's time management to meet deadlines sometimes was not respected and misunderstood as being unapproachable.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not do peer reviews.

Company on a downward track

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Anchorage, AK

I worked at Chugach Alaska full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNot much besides a fancy building to work in.

ConsUnable to retain or win new government contracts so laying off staff and reorganizing. Communication from management lacking. Employees were advised that there would be no further layoffs and then more people were cut. Lots of lip service about work-life balance and job growth but not practiced in reality. Should have quit sooner.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the talk about things looking up and be truthful about company's real prospects.

A company on a downward spiral

I have been working at Chugach Alaska full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIndependence; little supervisory oversight. Once you reach the 5 year mark, your time off increases. Received annual raises and bonuses, however, most are underpaid when compared with the market. Excellent rumor network.

ConsMicro-management in that you must cc: your immediate supervisory on all email traffic and then when something is questioned, they do not recall the situation (pointless). Decline in all benefits. About 6-7 years ago, no employee responsibility for health insurance, but once they started making employees pay part, the rates have increased significantly every year, while the benefits have declined every year. 3-4 years ago they moved the goal posts for vacation leave accrual and removed a holiday. Only match 3% for 401K and about 2-3 years ago started charging employees to manage the 401K (including annual audits), with no advance announcement - found out when reviewing 401K statement. Abysmal corporate communication since day 1. Executive management must believe they have communicated what is going on within the company (because they spend so much time traveling to/from Anchorage to meet with each other), that they forget to share with the masses. Rumor mill currently on over drive due to lay offs 15 months ago and more layoffs this week. Company reorganized internally, yet failed to notify employees or even bother to share an org chart. Hard to know who/where to go once things changed. Communication is expected to flow upward; but very little communication from the top down. Company's mission statement is really a bunch of goals for a very distant future, since they do not operate that way today. How does a company that hit the $1B mark sink so quickly?

Advice to Senior ManagementRegular communication via company portal and/or email to employees. Some of us actually like and believe in the company and would like to turn this ship around. Listen to your employees, quite often they know better, more efficient ways of doing things. Make good decisions, embrace ideas even if they are in disagreement with yours. Next layoff round, examine potential losses from a business perspective; this round many were telecommuters - quite often the least expensive employees with the highest productivity.

Best company I have ever worked for

Contracts Manager (Current Employee)
Portsmouth, VA

I have been working at Chugach Alaska full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUpward mobility was good at my site. Training was provided with a clear understanding of what was expected of the employees. Pay and benefits were above average also.

ConsTime difference between corporate office and east coast. There are a lot of reviews that are negative, but in my experience it was a sad day when the contract I work on was awarded to an ability one contractor.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you were doing when Barney was the CEO

Government contractor working at an Army base

Administrative (Former Employee)

I worked at Chugach Alaska full-time for more than 10 years

Prosworking on a military base

Consvacation time wasn't that great, parking wasn't great

Chugach, Wake Atoll

Cannon Fodder (Former Employee)
Wake Island, HI

I worked at Chugach Alaska full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood money if you can keep you sanity on a remote island. Lets put it this way some people just crack up. Saw a lot of that. Lots of improvements ( no bugs in food any more, I hope, lol ) because others before the hurricane Ioke had blazed the way at great sacrifice. Great diving if you know what your doing. Awesome 5000 ft ledge 70' deep about 300 yds off area 1100, but can be dangerous if your head isnt on right. ( no chamber for 24 hours, as thats about how long it will take to get you one ). Giant Napoleon Wrasse bigger than a volkswagon in cave. (Nice!) Saw at least 1 sea monster sized moray eel 18" in dia and 20 ft long at least. So the diving is really good. Pay is ok and greatly improved from the old days, but well deserved.

ConsSome people are not mentally prepared for long duration remote hazard stations so turn over is plentiful. Lots of interesting unexploded ordnance around so watch what your picking up or kicking while walking along the beach. EOD was usually out there every month when I was there (3yrs). Experienced a ww2 anti-ship mine pop up after I was throwing coral at something in the water. Lots of unexploded ww2 grenades and mortar shells around. 50cal shells theres a inert 2000lb battleship shell at one of the beach houses ( 4 Palms) on Peale.
 Medical services were VERY lacking and change frequently due to high doc turnover. You have to have your ------ rapped tight there. The job is always is a constant state of chaos and flux due to turn over and management shenanigans. Its like a box of chocolate you never know what your going to get. Just hope you arent there when the 20k gal of jet fuel under the old fire dept doesnt decide to ignite, otherwise your ok.

Advice to Senior ManagementI guess the best advice is what one of the upper management said to workers while we were suppose to improve security at the airport per AF orders. "We don't really have to do it ,we just have to look like we are doing it" - lol kind of says it all.

These people are so cheap

Not Saying (Current Employee)
Midwest City, OK

I have been working at Chugach Alaska full-time for more than 8 years

ProsHard to think of any.

ConsThey are cheaper than cheap, and they are government rip-off artists. I have been here since before they took over the contract at Tinker AFB. They do as little as possible to get by. They are screwing the government and the tax payers out of tens of thousands of dollars. They are very adept at hiding the truth and the facts from the government. They are pretending to do work they don't actually do. They write "completed" on their work forms, and never do anything. Unfortunately, no one is looking over their shoulder, so they get away with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou better straighten your act up before the government catches up with you. If not, by the time it's all said and done many of you will be in jail and the government will own your company.

Room for much more improvement

I have been working at Chugach Alaska full-time for more than 8 years

Prosemployee benefits, salaries, integrity, tribal responsibilty

Conscompany in flux do to growth

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employees outside the corporate office more

Don't expect to be paid good

Supervisor (Current Employee)
Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Chugach Alaska full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt's a job, it's not a career

ConsIt's not a good paying company, especially for the exempt employees (non-union employees). Their pay rates are way cheaper than at other companies. They are definitely not competing or even trying to compete with the compensation that other companies pay their people. Their insurance for expempt employees is way over priced and not that good. Also, they are overboard with their drug testing. Go outside and get a spec of dust in your eye and they want you to go take a urine test. It's ridiculous.
Because they are so cheap and use and abuse their exempt employees, they have a high rate of turnover. Even the supervisors tend to come and go pretty quick. They need to look around the market and see what other companies are paying for similar positions.
The ONLY retirement plan this company has is a 401k, and they don't match or even contribute at all. There are no bonuses, Heck, there aren't even any raises. They don't do personnel reviews, probably because if you are doing your job and they give you a good review then they would feel like they need to give a raise. Therefore, they just avoid it.
They don't provide hardly any training either. You are pretty much hung out to dry and have to learn everything on your own.
Overall, this company is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. It's all about pinching every penny they can. Like so many others I have seen come and go, I am just staying here until a better opportunity presents itself.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit being so dang cheap!!!

I have worked here for 7 years I love this company

Supply Supervisor (Current Employee)
Picatinny Arsenal, NJ

I have been working at Chugach Alaska full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat pay treat the employees very well. We manage to hire some of the best people I have had the pleasure to work with.

ConsI have nothing negative to say.

Worked for Chugach Alaska? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chugach Alaska reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chugach Alaska CEO Gabriel Kompkoff. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Chugach Alaska employees.