Church Pension Group Reviews

1. It could be much better

Current Employee - Information Technology
    Current Employee - Information Technology

I have been working at Church Pension Group full-time

Pros

Pockets of great people, job security, great location, cutting edge IT technology purchased, great exposure for IT professionals, hours not demanding

Cons

Self serving leaders and top level executives, waste, middle managers to lower level employees not empowered in IT, IT leadership concerned greatly about tactical items (Mac laptop standard), shame management (you randomly set dates, get no PM support, constantly have projects ram into your queue and your shamed when you don't hit dates), hierarchy, rushing to finish projects without care to quality, insane practices (being asked to book how we use our time for years and the data is never good); demanding and petty users, mediocre staff

Advice to Management

Reload the people in IT starting with leadership. This ship is being steered into the ground; not purposely but because of incompetence. Knowledge workers are not empowered, inspired and setup to really make IT an asset to the company. We're a laughing stock and it's because leadership spends so much time worrying about random tactical items.

Typical small company politics

Current Employee - Mid Level Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Mid Level Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Church Pension Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Nice co-workers. Meaningful work for the Episcopal Church clergy and lay.

Cons

Each department is a kingdom for the exec in charge. Beware a couple of them.

Advice to Management

You have a couple of execs who are self serving and ruining this company. Perform some company wide executive level review, terminate the self serving opportunists, and make CPG a nice place to work again.

Read the Fine print

I have been working at Church Pension Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally a nice place to work if you can avoid some personalities who dominate and ruin things. They pride themselves on diversity, but only consider certain facts in action. To really go anywhere you need to be an Episcopalian so consider converting if you plan a career here. The pay is better than average.

Cons

The benefits may appear top notch until you try and use them. Don't even think of working here if you have a family and may someday need medical care. Your coverage isn't what you think it is and changes without notification. I can't believe how much extra I have to pay with the best plan they offer. I actually paid into a years worth of Dental coverage and no benefits were available until the second year. I didn't find out until I tried to file a claim. Pray for a single payer Universal Health care for the US.

Advice to Management

Take a look at what you're offering people, both employees and the clients you service.

Things are not as they appear to be...

I have been working at Church Pension Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Top notch benefits package - golden handcuffs. If you're "in" there are promotional opps. Workplace seems best for lower level employees who can avoid the politics and just do their jobs.

Cons

Values as stated are not the reality. Since Dennis Sullivan retired, culture has changed. It's now by the lawyers, for the lawyers, and micro-management abounds.

Advice to Management

Your employees could actually be contributors if you trusted and respected them.

Productive and healthy work environment is compromised by politics and undermining

I have been working at Church Pension Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries, bright well lit environment

Cons

Politics, lack of upward mobility opportunities

Advice to Management

Listen to the suggestions and feedback of your direct reports. Too much top-down management.

Just a matter of time...

I have been working at Church Pension Group full-time

Pros

Impressive salary and benefits. In addition, I have never worked around so many intelligent individuals before being employed here. Furthermore, it is a pleasure to help the people, who help the church.

Cons

If you get on the 'wrong' side of a mid to senior level administrator, it is going to feel like you just walked through hell wearing a gasoline soaked suit. This place brings out the viciousness in some people.

Advice to Management

If you continue to 'turn the other cheek', the Church will eventually be forced to step in to run, or outsource operations.

8. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Church Pension Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and team work

Cons

The politics and not much else

Old Fashioned

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Benefits are unmatched - they will pay for school, full medical etc. Plenty of vacation days. VERY Diverse Company will take care of you if you do your job & show you are willing to learn

Cons

Generally the employees are older - I wouldn't recommend working here if you are young & coming out of college. The work is generally boring - company is a good place to bring your experience to at the end of your career

Church Pension Group

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Church Pension Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Certain Departments are very stable to work for.

Cons

Don't expect a long term career here.

Very strange Company,

I have been working at Church Pension Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Able to leave early the day before a holiday. They order lunch a lot because they insist on having meeting during lunch time.

Cons

Even though I was a full time employee, they original claimed that there was a 3 month probation after I started they claimed the department I worked for was 4 months. 3 people who held my position either left or where fired. Management is always looking to blame someone for the slightest issues.

Advice to Management

Deal with the people who are causing the problems instead of hiring people who can work with those problem employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed