Church World Service

Updated February 3, 2015
Updated February 3, 2015
2.5

John L. McCullough

Good, but could be better

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Church World Service as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The company has great values and a lot of heart. They have the type of mission that inherently brings fulfillment to its employees. Every day felt like I was doing something worthwhile, and I believe in their mission statement.

Cons

Further down the hierarchy, things can fall apart. Contract positions - at least mine - are based on the salary of the previous year's fundraising profits/funds. If funds increased, then my salary would increase the next year. But if the funds decreased....The lack of a stable income was frustrating and was barely enough to cover my rent for the month. Other than getting a paycheck, there were no other benefits.

Good intentions good cause totally mismanaged non-profit

Current Employee - Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Church World Service

Pros

Many of the staff are very dedicated, hard working and really beilieve in the mission of the organization.

Cons

Terrible management, the HR department is a joke, abusive behavior by some of the executive leaders, program directors and senior staff is not only tolerated but excused, very high turnover of qualified staff. Also financially the organization is not doing well and donations are way down.

Get rid of senior staff and program directors/managers who treat the employees badly and are abusive, hire qualified HR staff who know what they are doing and are there for the employees as well as management, hire experienced fund raisers who are much more pro-active at raising much needed money for the org.

Incompetent senior management

I have been working at Church World Service

Pros

This organization has a talented and driven staff.

Cons

Senior management is incompetent, doesn't have a clear vision for what this organization should be, and doesn't communicate effectively with staff. Senior managers treat employees as if they are disposable. The work environment is tense at all levels and very uncomfortable. Staff are undervalued and treated like children. Many staff are unhappy with how they are treated.

The organization has difficulty fundraising. Many times program staff are scrambling to write grants with little assistance from the fundraisers. Staff are asked to buy extra tickets to fundraising events to help to defray costs because there are not enough attendees. Staff are also pressured to bring attendees to fundraising events.

Value your employees, improve the work environment and manage with a clear vision.

Unprofessional, Toxic Management

Former Employee - Employment Case Manager in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Employment Case Manager in Durham, NC

I worked at Church World Service full-time (less than a year)

Pros

CWS has a noble cause in helping refugees become established and self-sufficient in the Triangle. The ESL teachers, case managers, volunteer coordinator and employment specialists are wonderful, caring, dedicated professionals.

Cons

Unfortunately, the management and program directors are more interested in numbers than the well-being of their clients and employees. The director's style of training and communication is to manipulate, belittle, harshly correct in front of other co-workers and obsessively micro-manage, making sure that everyone does every little thing to her liking. The work environment became so toxic that I was literally unable to focus on my work or perform my job to the best of my ability. Never been so mistreated in my life. It's sad that an organization with such a good cause is run by someone that cannot even show decent respect or kindness to the employees that administer the programs, working long hours for very little pay. Also, CWS does not have any human resource professional available for you to turn to if you need someone to talk to about being continually mistreated by your supervisor. If you end up working here and have a problem, don't bother trying to talk to the director, they will simply try to make your job even more miserable to the point that you will want to resign....Of course, this is much more convenient than having to find new management! My advice, stay away until there is new management.

Organization's intention is bold, but it is not always executed in the best way...

Former Intern - Employment Specialist in Lancaster, PA
    Former Intern - Employment Specialist in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Church World Service as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

work with dedicated and motivated people. As well as interact with refugees from different cultures and backgrounds. You feel like you are actually making a difference in these peoples lives.

Cons

very disorganized. Sometimes their goals are too lofty and are not executed properly.

Everyday was a good day

I worked at Church World Service

Pros

The environment was a very happy and encouraging one. I never left there feeling like I didn't accomplish my goal of helping someone that day. The people in the office were very sweet and helpful.

Cons

Sometimes it was hard to find enough volunteers to help out during classes or in the event of transporting refugees.

There should be some sort of shuttle service to take refugees to and from class to ensure they are able to make it

More than 1 year

I have been working at Church World Service full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The organization is working to make changes that will reflect to everyone that the values are being followed.

Cons

Internal communication is weak and not often enough.

Terrible Management - Stay away!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at Church World Service full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The work that CWS does is a noble cause. I feel like CWS makes a real difference with refugees in ways other companies cannot.

Cons

If you can work under management that constantly belittles you, degrades you as a person, does not care for you personally, have the ability internalize harsh criticism.... then CWS is for you.
    If you value working conditions that are fair, respectable, honest, and encouraging.... then CWS is NOT for you.

Get rid of your toxic management.

Working at Church World Service

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Church World Service full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible work environment and most of the program directors and employees in both the national and global offices are very dedicated, collaborative and helpful.

Cons

Low pay even for an NGO, the organization is undergoing many changes in an effort to move forward but there are too many longtime employees who are unwilling or unable to accept this and need to retire or leave, the union in the NY office is out of control and continually makes unrealistic demands, communication between senior management and staff needs improvement

Send your managers for real leadership training (not just let them watch a powerpoint presentation or webinar and expect this to make a real difference), give non-IRP and non-union employees a raise - they deserve it!!

Excellent

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Church World Service as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great Team and hard working people.

Cons

I have nothing negative to share.