Ciber

Updated October 25, 2014
2.9

Ciber Chief Executive Officer Michael Boustridge
Michael Boustridge

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance, if you believe in such a concept (in 21 reviews)

• Good benefits package, Ciber U is a great resource for training and certs (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is totally 100% disconnected from the 'typical' worker (in 13 reviews)

• No growth opportunity and you don't feel part of company (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent Company - smart employees

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ciber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very intelligent co-workers w/ dedication to client support

Cons

Lack of corporate communication to field

Need more hands on/face to face interaction

Avoid accepting a job with Ciber

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Ciber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you're just starting career, can be an ok first job- but treat it like that. Don't settle in; continue job search and get out of CIBER as soon as you can.

Cons

Horrible corporate culture. Leadership lacks integrity & accountability. Shysters.
    No opportunity for growth.
    Account executives I worked with were clueless and only good for an occasional free lunch.
    Regional manager was inaccessible, out of touch and didn't care about clients or consultants.

Get it together. Learn and implement the basics of operating a business: contract management, financials, remedial organizational skills for meeting time lines.

Whoa Great Pay!

Former Employee - Microsoft Consulting - Developer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Microsoft Consulting - Developer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Ciber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is amazing, top of the market really (.NET developer). I worked at home and that had some perks too! Most of the people you work with are alright, but the interview process is flimsy so you get some paper tigers as well.

Cons

I have never worked for such a rude and disconnected organization. My manager was probably the meanest person I have ever worked with, seriously. Everyday we used to refer to our daily work life as "Ciber Survivor", you never really know what is going to happen! Blindsides! Treachery! 16 hour days are common,

Relax, yelling, kicking, and screaming just makes you look like a immature. The amount of ethical breaches at the management level is astounding!

Great Co-Workers & a Whole Lot of Work Forecasted

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ciber full-time

Pros

Great people, boatloads of work in the pipeline, relaxed dress code, flex time & work-life balance, good equipment to work on, nice facilities, bench for full-timers.

Cons

Salary is 5k less than what I would like, but the bench is a fair trade. In other cases, I would just be unemployed between projects.

You should do quarterly reviews & bonuses instead of annual ones.

Ciber Response

Oct 30, 2014Director

Thank you for your review. At Ciber, we recognize the importance of corporate culture. We agree that our colleagues are wonderful and that there is exciting work to be done.

A staffing organization trying to be a consulting firm

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Ciber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The first interview was over skype which was great since I was looking for jobs in a different city. The hiring process was fast and painless.

Cons

Since they were going through a reorganization and a shift in focus, they couldn't really pay attention to the consultants. Lack of direction, involvement and motivation from managers

Take care of your employees. You have a very high turnover rate and no clear career paths

PASS ON THIS COMPANY

Former Employee - Recruiter in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Ciber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Comprehensive Benefit Package but poor 401K

Cons

Strong lack of leadership
    Ineffective Recruiting Directors - Micro-Managers
    No room for growth
    Few pay raises

Care about your people as they are your most vital resource. Treat your employees with respect and dignity.

Ciber is OK

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Ciber

Pros

work schedule flexibility and changing requirements

Cons

Having to travel to clients and being away from home and the constant restructuring the company was going through at the time

They forget you even exist

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ciber

Pros

I have worked through Ciber for several years and have always received great reviews from my clients. Ciber was never great at communications back to the consultants but since they have gone through a total re-org of the business it is worse. No one knows who does what and they completely forget you even exist. I will be looking at other consulting firms for my next contract. YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN ONCE YOU START AT CLIENT.

Cons

Benefits are good. Salary is Fair to Good.

Recognize not only your FT internal employees (which I doubt you do) but you really need to treat your consultants who continually perform, much better. Who respresent Ciber to the clients with a high standard of performance and professionalism.

Better rates the longer you are working with Ciber, recognition of a job well done (which never happens) Oh and it would be nice if someone would reach out to me. I have worked at my client for close to a year and I have yet to have one manager or anyone even speak to me.

Second time around

I have been working at Ciber

Pros

I have found them willing to accommodate when special situations arise. They communicate with their consultants, offer them benefits, give them feedback, provide them with opportunities for growth and skill-enhancement, and generally treat them quite well.

Cons

This is my second assignment with them. I have no problem with the way in which they are handling me. My biggest complaint is that the client in each situation was a large corporation that offered little technical stimulation and challenge. In the first assignment, the client had a corporate culture that was right out of the 1940s, and it seemed to me that they had no idea what someone with my skill set did. In my present assignment, I am bogged down by the corporate and governmental bureaucracy that burdens this industry, and I am constantly amazed at the abysmal writing skills of their managers and the horrible way in which projects are managed. Heads would roll if this client were a smaller organization without deep pockets.

CIBER needs to add smaller, more innovative, and more exciting businesses to its client base.

Good place to work provided you negotiate well while starting

Current Employee - Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ciber

Pros

Good access to Online Technical resources. Understanding management team in terms of personal time offs and emergencies. Good team work environment is promoted.

Cons

Not the best benefits package. Trainings are for the most part covered by the employee unless the employee signs paper to stay with the company for a ridiculous number of years when compared with total cost of the training/exam.

Improve benefits package when it comes to trainings.