Ciber

Updated January 26, 2015
2.9

Ciber Chief Executive Officer Michael Boustridge
Michael Boustridge

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance, if you believe in such a concept (in 21 reviews)

• Good benefits package, Ciber U is a great resource for training and certs (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is totally 100% disconnected from the 'typical' worker (in 13 reviews)

• No growth opportunity and you don't feel part of company (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent Company to Work For

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Scottsbluff, NE
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Scottsbluff, NE

I worked at Ciber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are well organized into consulting practices. They are well managed, have lots of opportunities and great benefits. Their business development generates demand to keep staff busy.

Cons

They didn't have any more work for me.

Keep doing what you're doing.

A staffing firm that thinks it's a consulting company.

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Miami, FL

I worked at Ciber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a staffing company, Ciber does a good job serving several key, long term clients. They seem to be able to match the needs of their customers with quality staff. Overall pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Outside of the staffing function the company lacked clear direction and a solid strategy. Their efforts at being a top tier consulting firm seemed disjointed and entirely too fluid.

Decide on a course and stay that course for more than 18 months.

Many great opportunities, but a lack of execution and strategy

Former Employee - Client Partner
    Former Employee - Client Partner

I worked at Ciber full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation is good. Ciber tends to hire people that have strong experience with global IT firms, so many of the employees have tremendous experiences to draw on.

Cons

In trying to service many different aspects of the IT services landscape, a lack of focus inhibits solid sustainable performance. This has led to many different offerings and consulting practices that are very thin and depend on the involvement of a few key people. Repeatable processes across the company are rare, so account teams are left to succeed or fail based on their local talents rather than on some larger body of work that has been leveraged across multiple clients. Unfortunately, this results in unpredictable results with client engagements.

Decide whether staffing or offshore outsourcing is the model of Ciber's future. Set a strategy that can be profitable, and then stick to it.

Ciber is good in their existing market, not creating new ones

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at Ciber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Does a good job in Transportation consulting field

Cons

Selling the deal first then getting resources, this is a too typical model that is not working.

If you want to expand, make the actual investment.

Review of Ciber

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Nash, TN
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Nash, TN

I have been working at Ciber full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

With a new CEO hopefully things will shape up better, especially in the lines of communications. Corporate office is prompt and quick to respond to questions. I am seeing a lot of emails from the new CEO very positive and I am pleased at the efforts made to reach out to employees

Cons

As a contractor its hard to get a response from the area manager or local rep. perhaps a more rigorous re org is due. promises are shallow. Would like to see a floating holiday added.

Listen and empathize with your employees.

It is what you make it!

I have been working at Ciber full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are Pros and Cons to every job and every company. Corporate attitude is everyones job. That is what I like about Ciber. It is a global corporation, with a local feel. I feel that I am empowered to make decisions for the benefit of our clients and consultants; our most important asssets. Our Executive Team has an open door policy, allowing me to escalate to the highest level needed, with ease. No one is following you around patting you on the back; everyone is working just as hard to ensure our success. If you like this type of a "can do" environment - you will love working for Ciber.

Cons

Our name! Not a well branded, well known name in the market.

Settle in on a course, put it into action, and give it some time to work, with small tweeks, versus big shifts.

Great People!!

Current Employee - Principal Consultant
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant

I have been working at Ciber full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best part of working for Ciber is the people. There is an awesome team in place in the Oracle Higher Education practice with monthly mentoring call and lots of collaboration among the consultants.

Cons

The company can be inconsistent in terms of creating and maintaining policies as well as hiring and promoting practices.

Be consistent and communicate!! Offer some additional training as well as opportunities for consultants to expand their skill set and not become disenchanted and bored.

Great company is you don't mind travel

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ciber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company culture is absolutely outstanding. Upper management is really responsive and the other consultants are all great to work with.

Cons

Travel can be much higher than expected. Was told about 30%, ended up traveling almost 65-70%. Compensation is a bit lower then elsewhere. Bonus plan is almost a joke.

Get more competitive about salaries and bonuses. Take care of your better consultants and stop worrying about seniority.

Great Place To Work

I have been working at Ciber

Pros

Awesome culture, great people, competitive salary, benefits, opportunity for growth, strong global presence....................... just a few reasons why this is a great place to work.

Cons

None yet, I'm a new employee

none

Good company that constantly tries to be better.

I have been working at Ciber full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

* Benefits - Offers three different options. The PTO (paid time off) is very generous in addition to the paid holidays.
    * Growth potential - Set your own goals- if you want to do more, there is an opportunity to do so. If you don't speak up, you won't get what you want. Tons of free training available (Ciber University).
    * Life/work balance - Awesome. Very understanding that life happens. Get your job done and they are flexible. Very grateful for this!!
    * Relocation - Ability to keep working for Ciber even if you have to move states (or to another country).

Cons

* Initial training - Make sure everyone knows what they are doing before they run on their own.
    * Onboarding process - This has gotten better. Go back to an in-person orientation.

There are a lot of people in the company that are willing and want to help make positive change happen. New management really seems to care about what ALL of the employees think and are asking for input - get us involved and excited! Would like to see more communication to keep people up to date on what is going on. When people know there are changes that are being made, but don't know what they are of if they will be affected, it causes job insecurity and worry. Keep moving in the right direction!!