Ciber

Updated December 12, 2014
2.9

Ciber Chief Executive Officer Michael Boustridge
Michael Boustridge

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance, if you believe in such a concept (in 21 reviews)

• Good benefits package, Ciber U is a great resource for training and certs (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is totally 100% disconnected from the 'typical' worker (in 13 reviews)

• No growth opportunity and you don't feel part of company (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Just another high-tech contracting body shop

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Burlington, MA

I worked at Ciber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They offer a decent salary. They offer decent -- but not outstanding-- benefits for full-time employees. At the time I worked there, there was lots of talk of moving the business model from butt-in-chairs contracting to project work, which is generally far more interesting and fulfilling. Some staff augmentation engagements can last multiple years.

Cons

The opportunities for project work are a tiny fraction of what the company has to offer employees -- over 90% of the work is "staff augmentation" (butts in chairs). If you don't want to be paid to be a butt in a chair, you should look elsewhere. Opportunities for company-paid training do not exist -- you're expected to stay current on your own money. Often requested (required) to put additional hours on the job without billing on the timesheet, to make up for operational emergencies.

Decide what you want to be: a body-for-hire "staff augmentation" contract house, or a project-based contract house., Don't lure people into the company with prospects/hopes of doing project work "once you've proven yourself."

Decent Company - smart employees

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ciber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very intelligent co-workers w/ dedication to client support

Cons

Lack of corporate communication to field

Need more hands on/face to face interaction

Good Job, poor management

Former Employee - PM/BA in Midwest City, OK
    Former Employee - PM/BA in Midwest City, OK

I worked at Ciber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Access to some good client positions. (Job Opportunities)

Cons

Zero management support. Corporate leadership appears to care only about billable hours. Review process is very poorly done.

Get out of the ivory tower and go talk to the consultants.

Excellent Employee Development

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ciber as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility in contracts, generous promotions for those that work for it. Corporate support for individual employee's personal development.

Cons

Health insurance rates are not as competitive as you would think for the size of the company. There are cons to being a contractor but have little to do with cons at Ciber.

Continue to invest in your top talent.

Passable tech consulting company

Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Bothell, WA

I worked at Ciber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits, low micromanagement - I never felt hovered over and I was trusted to get my work done professionally and competently

Cons

Little support, no noticeable culture - being placed at the client site with no other Ciber employees and given occasional conference trainings from across the country left me feeling isolated.

Give new hires some orientation and support, and let them meet other employees in person. The national consulting gig makes it hard for the only employee at a placement to get a feel for the company.

Good Company If A Little Focused

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ciber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They are a very professional organization and work hard at providing excellent service.

Cons

As a contractor, it seems like there are limited opportunities for staying a Project Manager. The pipeline of opportunities seems to be limited because they are focused on application development specifically in a couple of narrow areas.

Figure out how to use your field assignment contractors can be kept busy.

Bait - was offered ePMO implementation, Switch - given projects to manage - CONTRACTORS BEWARE!!

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ciber as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Can't site a single positive thing about this company, management or it's mission.

Cons

Completely dishonest and telling people just what they want to hear. When folks figure out what they are doing Ciber has no shame in admitting with almost a "what are you going to do about it" attitude. They don't care who they step on to get billable hours. They openly lie to the Client and the consultants are expected to support their lies. Problem lies when this unethical company hires contractors with solid work ethics. Oh yeah, you should ask if they like "Kool-Aid" during the interview process. They treat their staff very badly in the presence of the client. I witnessed harassment and called HR who did nothing to stop it. Instead they fired the victim and came after me for reporting it. They practice a hostile work environment and retaliation and dare folks to do something about it. There management team openly admits they believe in a R & D approach to Project Management - "Rob and Deliver". Hmmm....I wonder if they've ever heard of Plagiarism. Their on site managers were managing PMs yet have no PM experience or certifications. Read a book or ask a Senior PM to detail how something works and provide their past templates and POOF! Rob and Deliver.

Kansas City is a small town and the PM network is tight. Word on the street is already out on Ciber as a company and the names of the Ciber Management team.

Secondly, probably be wise to circle back with your prior clients as they don't think much of you or the job you did once the contract is over.

consultant

I have been working at Ciber

Pros

no prons--- very much non-professional culture

Cons

no growth , no values, no prospects

Whoa Great Pay!

Former Employee - Microsoft Consulting - Developer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Microsoft Consulting - Developer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Ciber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is amazing, top of the market really (.NET developer). I worked at home and that had some perks too! Most of the people you work with are alright, but the interview process is flimsy so you get some paper tigers as well.

Cons

I have never worked for such a rude and disconnected organization. My manager was probably the meanest person I have ever worked with, seriously. Everyday we used to refer to our daily work life as "Ciber Survivor", you never really know what is going to happen! Blindsides! Treachery! 16 hour days are common,

Relax, yelling, kicking, and screaming just makes you look like a immature. The amount of ethical breaches at the management level is astounding!

Chicago Style Consulting

Former Employee - Client Partner
    Former Employee - Client Partner

I worked at Ciber full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The organization has some great people who understand the verticals. Sadly, Ciber does not make an effort to keep them. Ciber continues to bleed its top performers to CedarCreston, Deloitte and Oracle due to culture..not necessarily $$. Firm has potential but only with the right leadership.

Cons

Poor leadership. Company is trying to transition from a body shop to a Big 5 consulting firm with poor execution at the helm.
    Very contentious/negative environment with Senior Consulting staff in evaluating potential deals and pipeline.
    Chicago style leadership - Intimidation, Fear and 24x7 work schedule.

Evaluate what kind of culture you want in an effort to build a successful organization.
    Mixing the old management with the new management. Both of which are disconnected from the employees. Very impersonal.
    Have a real marketing plan with Cloud.