Cigital Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
3.9

Cigital Chairman and CEO John L. Wyatt
John L. Wyatt

15 years of experience ranging from research to consulting to management.

Current Employee - ICTO in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - ICTO in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Cigital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people's intelligence, breadth of knowledge, and their consistent willingness to help each other continues to keep me interested as well as challenges and educate me. A commitment to genuinely help customers improve their software security initiatives across a broad range of industries and maturities means not getting bored.

The company rewards the self-starter who possesses ideas on how to improve things and makes bets on younger staff, fostering motivated people.

Cons

The organization's client-focus can frustrate those with truly innovative ideas which the client can't absorb. Those who would like opportunities given to them, well-defined and well-within their existing experience base (easy), will struggle. The culture does not cater to those who don't like to be challenged by their coworkers or management.

Those looking for large amounts of entirely free-form time without direct business impact will be frustrated by a lack of support.

Those coming into account or technical management positions who have previously run their own initiatives find Cigital's expectations high and difficult to achieve.

Management, growth oriented, could focus more time on fostering individuals who have trouble picking their own direction. They could also do a better job raising inter-region visibility into sharp peer mentors for more junior staff and connect these individuals where introverted personalities don't do this for themselves.

Aug 15, 2014Marketing Manager

Thanks so much for your feedback. It's because of wonderful people like you that Cigital is such an amazing place work. We'll be sure to share you thoughts on how to improve the mentor program with ... More

Adventurous, exhausting place

I have been working at Cigital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Constant challenges
    travel
    excitement
    brilliant coworkers
    Usually meaningful work with high profile customers

Cons

You have to fight for everything. Everything from filling out a timesheet to getting a good assignment, to finding a chair to sit at in the morning is a fight.
    We also have a really nasty non-compete agreement that upper management has occasionally enforced with law suits.

Sep 17, 2014Marketing Manager

We appreciate you taking the time out to share your thoughts on Cigital and are happy to hear you feel positive about the team and the work that you are doing.

As a growing organization some of
    ... More

Employees and customers are #1

I have been working at Cigital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hugely talented group. Very committed to employee development. Collaborative. High energy. Lots of focus on customer satisfaction. Open communications to senior leadership. Very little company politics. Lots of interesting projects and lots of opportunities to contribute.

Cons

Organization charts are de-emphasized so it can be a little difficult to understand how the company is structured. So much going on that sometimes you run into two people or groups of people trying to solve the same problem independently.

Continue to communicate and keep putting employees first. Remind the employees to put the customer first.

Aug 15, 2014Marketing Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We recognize as a consulting based organization focused on project delivery it can be a challenge to know what different groups or individuals are working on at the ... More

Great place to work and gain experience.

Current Employee - Managing Principal
    Current Employee - Managing Principal

I have been working at Cigital full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company is small enough so that if you are motivated and want to have a lot of impact in the direction the organization is headed, you can. but it's big enough that you have a great brand that supports you in the work that you do.

Cons

Needs more cohesion between different regions.

Aug 15, 2014Marketing Manager

We appreciate you taking the time out to share your thoughts on Cigital and are happy to hear you feel positive about the direction we are headed.

If you have any recommendations on how we could
    ... More

Worst place in the industry

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Cigital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you're not a US citizen you can work here easily.

If you're really lazy and don't have work ethic then you can take advantage like about half the consultants do. Plenty of people come in at 10, smoke break, lunch, smoke break, starbucks run, smoke break, leave at 5 accomplishing about 4 hours of work. Clients don't know the difference and no one cares as long as the report gets put in with a recent amount of findings. Oh XSS, clickjacking, bad use of SSL, no password policy, session fixation + 2 other things. Good job write the report. Some interns were even billable.

John Steven and John Wyatt and like 2 consultants are great at what they do and I like talented people.

Everyone is so nice! You'll be greeted very kindly and everyone is friendly.

Cons

The Pros that everyone else mentions are so much more true for every other employer in this industry.

Google "I'm the best and that's all that matters." Big red flag when a ton of people in the company hate the face of the company.

All training is absolutely awful. One person said "I was really attracted by the fact they train their employees" The eLibrary and everything is just terrible. If you didn't already do WebGoat why did you get hired in the first place? Because the interview process is a joke.

Ask the person who's interviewing you a tough technical question after you answer all of theirs. Do this and you'll know learn first hand what I'm about to talk about. It's quite clear no consultant interviewed at any other firm. They blindly go work for Cigital either because they don't have the technical talent or don't know what else is out there. Ask them why they chose Cigital over somewhere else they'll say "Well Gary McGraw just talked at my school and I applied and got hired". 70k starting salary is nice if you don't know anything and don't mind converting bash scripts to python and running AppScan scans all week and learning from reports written by your coworkers.

How many people have presented at Blackhat from Cigital? How about the other firms? There are a couple of really talented people though but they're far and few between. I'm sure Cigital would love to change this and they are trying "we'll pay 1500 dollars to the person who writes the most popular blog post and turn it into a tech talk or white paper" but those don't include giving research time and I think that's because that wouldn't help profits much because of the aforementioned lack of talent there.

John Wyatt says he can't make consulting services more efficient without a plummet of quality. That means he's made it as efficient as possible with quality just meeting ignorant expectations. There is a strong reliance on code scanners and a huge disparity between technical talent as far as consultants. They can say they have a "keen interest in automation" and don't mention the hiring process which is a joke. "Other firms" seem to be run by security people who either don't have the business skills to triple revenue or won't dumb down the quality of their companies work to make a buck, probably both. THIS is why people say high quality work isn't recognized because it doesn't make much of a difference in profits so they don't care.

The laptop they give you is so terrible.

The work area is worse than that of the commuter lounge at my school. You don't get your own desk and you just sit where ever. A senior consultant had to carry his keyboard to and from work everyday.

They email you the fine print documents a couple of days before your first day on purpose so you can't refuse them.

Contrary to what every employee believes. If you ask people who have talked with people that work at a bunch of firms they'll tell you "cigital is a bottom tier firm." Just ask around.

If I forgot anything there's just generally a ubiquitous feeling of cutting corners from the quality of the workplace to the quality of work given to clients to your paycheck. They don't even serve soda with pizza and they have a vending machine for snacks! You have to actually pay for snacks. How horribly corporate.

If you're thinking of working here some other firms are Azimuth, Immunity, iSEC and Matasano. All of which are much much better.

you only care about profit and not about employees

Sep 24, 2014Marketing Manager

We're sorry to hear that you were so unhappy during your time with us. While we politely disagree with some of your statements, we are listening. Some of the issues you have mentioned are being ... More

4 stars only for the rockstar Cigitalites

Former Employee - Security Consultant
    Former Employee - Security Consultant

I worked at Cigital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the smartest security folks work here. I started my Appsec career with Cigital and I don't regret any moment of it. I learnt a lot while I was there. I interacted and met people who I really respect. Good exposure to practical hands-on Application Security projects which is always helpful. Work culture was the best I've experienced. Young, energetic, innovative employees is what makes Cigital an awesome place to work. I miss that the most.

Cons

Compensation is not that great and that matters specially when the benefits are not that great either. If you are working on a project and it gets mundane after some time, you can be stuck there for quite some time.

Shifting InfoSec domains can be difficult specially when you are just getting started. Cigital is full of experts and some really smart people who get pulled into good projects. So, making your way through them and working on interesting projects can be a bit difficult.

Jul 22, 2014Marketing Manager

Thanks for your feedback, we really appreciate it. Understanding it can sometimes be hard to share feedback as an employee please considering reaching out to members of the HR team for ... More

Good learning experience

Current Employee - Software Security in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Software Security in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Cigital as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

Super-friendly colleagues, exposure to varied technologies

Cons

low pay, no defined career path

increase the pay

Jul 22, 2014Marketing Manager

We're happy to have you as a member of the Cigital team and appreciate your feedback. Finding a career path can be challenging in many organizations, we encourage you to talk with your mentor about ... More

Great Place - Great Team

Current Employee - Security Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Security Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cigital as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Fast growing company, plenty of projects, Awesome people to work with. Team always asks you to contribute and guide you in all the tasks to be done. Lots of opportunities to grow.

Cons

Not many, if one really likes consultant job this is the company to be in.

Stay as you are.

Jul 22, 2014Marketing Manager

We're glad your intern experience has been a rewarding one and hope you will consider staying with us once it's over.

Good

I have been working at Cigital as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good company to learn things

Cons

Benefits and HR is really bad

Apr 10, 2014Marketing Manager

We're glad to have you with us and hope you will continue to grow your skills. If you have suggestions about ways to improve benefits or HR talk to your mentor.

Love the work and the people.

Current Employee - Security Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Security Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Cigital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cool projects, awesome crowd in NYC, and a great global knowledge base to learn from. I love coming to work every day!

Cons

Financial and organizational growing pains of a small consulting firm. Not enough women (join us!) ... We need another office puppy :(

Dec 4, 2013Marketing Manager

With 3+ years under your belt you are a true Cigital veteran. As with any growing organization there are struggles, but we are excited about our new partnership with LLR and expect their investment ... More