Cigna

Cigna Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Cigna President and CEO David Cordani

David Cordani

Pros:
  • "Good training for employees work life balance is embraced by management"
    in 50 reviews
  • "You can work from home if you choose to and it works to your advantage"
    in 38 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is touted as important but not always a true priority"
    in 15 reviews
  • "terrible health benefits everything related to metrics plus a lot of cronyism"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The worst company I have ever worked for

CSA (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe only good thing is the pay

ConsInsurane is horrible...mandatory overtime..coworkers are ignorant...you have to tolerate horrible customers ....this was the worst employee insurance I ever had...do not care about their employees

Advice to Senior ManagementTell consumers the truth..dont lie to consumers just to get their business

Get out as fast as you can.

Case Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Eden Prairie, MN

ProsDecent salaries for recent grads. Usually hire great people.

ConsLower level management is full of micro-managers who have no idea how to manage people. The level of favoritism by management is off the charts. If your manager does not like you, better start looking for another job because they will find a way to fire you. Managers prefer brown nosers and promote their own friends. Do not have a traditional HR so hard to get concrete information on various policies as they are given to you piecemeal by your manager. If you having issues with someone you are expected to go to your manager and if you are having an issue with your manager you are discouraged to going higher up. No ability to move up in the company if you are not a licensed staff and if your non-licensed staff than you are treated as being disposable. The only jobs available for non-licensed staff are ones where they are assisting licensed staff which essentially mean being their servants and doing almost everything for them up to the point of completely doing their jobs for them. Managers pretend that your opinion matters but then just disregard it and give you a hard time if you do bring up issues in front of others. Lastly, company cares more about profits than their customers as their level of care guidelines makes getting authorization hard for facilities and the policies in place make it hard to actually assist them. It will only be a matter of time before there is a public backlash against them.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire competent managers who are not extreme micro-managers and promote the right people- not those who are their friends. Treat non-licensed staff just as well as licensed. Have an actual HR.

Fantastic CEO with the "it" factor.

Senior Director (Former Employee)

ProsCEO is fantastic
    ELT is better than average
    Lots of opportunity to have different experiences

ConsPay for performance is very subjective
    Internal Politics run rampant
    Work life balance commitment is lip service
    Power is concentrated in essentially 3 people. As a result, decisions and strategies depend on their approval.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecommit to the principles you espouse.

Be less dependent on politics to determine promotions and strategic decisions.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good pay, okay place to work

Specialty Pharmacy Tech (Former Employee)
    Sioux Falls, SD

ProsLots of vacation time, good hours if you work during the day, good pay

ConsWeak management, lots of favoritism

horrible

Not Saying (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

Prosnone whatsoever, me and another woman were hired for one job and ended up clicking boxes 40 hrs a week

Conshad to quit after 4 months, clicking boxes gave migraines when I have 15 yrs experience

Advice to Senior Managementadvice to director, don't treat employees like children and lie to them. When my dr filled out the accommodation request under the ADA law asking my day to be broken up with something else in addition to clicking boxes, the employee relations women just called to argue with two times. She didn't talk about the form, she didn't want anything to do with making adjustments. By law they have to accommodate my needs within reason. I think clicking boxes 4 hours and doing something else for 4 hours is within reason. After all I only have 15 years of experience. All this woman wanted to do was argue. She's lucky I didn't go to EEOC

Cigna is a good company to work for, however, I do believe the CSA's are underpaid

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)
    Bourbonnais, IL

ProsThe best reason to work is because of the benefits

ConsBeing confined to a phone all day. Not enough unplanned PTO

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should consider increasing the salary for their Customer Service Associates

Fairly compensated but underutilized, bored and frequently confounded by internal politics

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsBase pay in on the high side of average for most job titles. In good years I've received as much as 8% additional as performance bonus. 23 PTO days plus an additional 8 paid holidays. Very flexible scheduling by which I mean you can take time off for a doctors appointment or something and make it up on your own honor when you can. Very good about time off for family emergencies or death in the family. These latter items vary tremendously based upon your department and manager; I have a good one in this respect.

ConsHealth plans are all High Deductible and the coverage really is not very good and even as an employee you can expect to get claims denied and have to spend time on the phone fighting to get covered expenses paid for. Many company functions that you would expect to be in-house are either outsourced or off-shored. Try to get a meeting with an actual HR person for example - good luck! Annual performance uses the 'Forced Bell Curve' system so no matter how good your team is, 50% of you are not going to be rewarded and the ranking system, unless you really screw something up, is completely subjective and based heavily upon your manager 'Liking You' rather than you meeting your objectives. Promotional opportunities into the management roles are extremely limited if you are not in one of the "Employee Development Programs" and those are mostly restricted to new college grad hires. Internal politics, both within deparments and across departments is about the worst I have ever experienced in my work career.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo point - they already know all the answers and as long as stock price stays stable or goes up they aren't listening to anyone except themselves.

Cigna as a Consultant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat opportunities and long contracts. loved working there. always very busy.

Consrates have gone down considerably

Disability Department Needs Some Work

Short Term Disability Claim Manager (Current Employee)
    Eden Prairie, MN

ProsEveryone I met was friendly, and work space was updated and comfortable.

ConsOutdated technology and process methods.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you have the staff you need before adding more accounts.

Leave Manager

Leave Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat health benefits
    Nice building
    On site health clinic
    Cafe is nice

ConsManagement
    Salary is low compared to market value
    Overworked and underpsid

Worked for Cigna? Contribute to the Community!

Cigna Videos

Cigna – Why Work for Us?

More than just a health insurance company Cigna is a global health service company,dedicated to helping the people we serve improve their health, well-being and sense of security. As a health care insurance provider… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cigna reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cigna CEO David Cordani. All 492 reviews posted anonymously by Cigna employees.