Cigna

Cigna Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Cigna President and CEO David Cordani

David Cordani

Pros
  • Good training for employees work life balance is embraced by management(in 54 reviews)

• You can work from home if you choose to and it works to your advantage(in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is touted as important but not always a true priority(in 16 reviews)

• terrible health benefits everything related to metrics plus a lot of cronyism(in 15 reviews)

Cigna is a good company to work for, however, I do believe the CSA's are underpaid

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) Bourbonnais, IL

ProsThe best reason to work is because of the benefits

ConsBeing confined to a phone all day. Not enough unplanned PTO

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should consider increasing the salary for their Customer Service Associates

Cheap Company

Claims Processor (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsNone this company sucked really bad

ConsEverything about this company is bad

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP sending jobs overseas

Cigna as a Consultant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat opportunities and long contracts. loved working there. always very busy.

Consrates have gone down considerably

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fairly compensated but underutilized, bored and frequently confounded by internal politics

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsBase pay in on the high side of average for most job titles. In good years I've received as much as 8% additional as performance bonus. 23 PTO days plus an additional 8 paid holidays. Very flexible scheduling by which I mean you can take time off for a doctors appointment or something and make it up on your own honor when you can. Very good about time off for family emergencies or death in the family. These latter items vary tremendously based upon your department and manager; I have a good one in this respect.

ConsHealth plans are all High Deductible and the coverage really is not very good and even as an employee you can expect to get claims denied and have to spend time on the phone fighting to get covered expenses paid for. Many company functions that you would expect to be in-house are either outsourced or off-shored. Try to get a meeting with an actual HR person for example - good luck! Annual performance uses the 'Forced Bell Curve' system so no matter how good your team is, 50% of you are not going to be rewarded and the ranking system, unless you really screw something up, is completely subjective and based heavily upon your manager 'Liking You' rather than you meeting your objectives. Promotional opportunities into the management roles are extremely limited if you are not in one of the "Employee Development Programs" and those are mostly restricted to new college grad hires. Internal politics, both within deparments and across departments is about the worst I have ever experienced in my work career.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo point - they already know all the answers and as long as stock price stays stable or goes up they aren't listening to anyone except themselves.

Disability Department Needs Some Work

Short Term Disability Claim Manager (Current Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsEveryone I met was friendly, and work space was updated and comfortable.

ConsOutdated technology and process methods.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you have the staff you need before adding more accounts.

Leave Manager

Leave Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat health benefits
    Nice building
    On site health clinic
    Cafe is nice

ConsManagement
    Salary is low compared to market value
    Overworked and underpsid

Overall not a bad company

Applications Development Senior Specialist (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsFlexible timings, Telecommute, 23 paid vacations and plenty of sick leaves, over all work-life balance is good but it can be bad in some of the teams

ConsWork/life balance can be bad in some of the teams. Average salaries

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Not great to employees

Claims (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsRegular paycheck. Company committed to being there for the long haul

ConsPoor pay -- especially raises. Very demanding of employee production

Advice to Senior ManagementMerit increases are essential to employee morale. Please analyze your compensation and insurance benefits ... they are below standard for major insurance carriers.

Don't work in disability

Claims Manager II (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsLots of flexibility in schedules

ConsPromotions far and few, metrics driven, employees wasting time running unnecessary reports, little to no help from team leaders, favoritism gets you recognition and promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust be available for your employees and do some work.

Definitely a good starting point.

Underwriter (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsCigna offers a very comprehensive training program along with a vast array of self taught training programs through Cigna University which enables employees to expand their knowledge and expertise base.

ConsMany young managers make it difficult to advance. Cigna hires many people right out of college therefore their ready for management roles at an early stage which can make it difficult for other employees coming in from the outside.

Advice to Senior ManagementCigna has a very strong corporate philosophy that they'd like their employees to follow. It would be nice for management to show the employees how they personally follow it.

Worked for Cigna? Contribute to the Community!