Cigna Reviews

Reset
3.8
Cigna President and CEO David Cordani
David Cordani

Pros
  • Works hard at work/life balance (in 60 reviews)

• Flexible work from home arrangements (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • NO work life balance for most employees in my department (in 22 reviews)

• Terrible Health benefits (Extremely High Deductible health) (in 18 reviews)

1. Project Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Cigna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Company. Great benefits, perks- they really care about their employees. I like what the CEO has done with the company image.

Cons

At times, it can be hard to push to make improvements especially with some of the folks that have been there a long time. Sad that Anthem will acquire Cigna, eliminating jobs and a way of life for many, but that's been the way of the world now.

Advice to Management

It's been a brief, but good ride.

Good place to coast

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I worked at Cigna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Friendly, helpful coworkers. Easy to work at home or work remotely. Inspiring leaders at the executive level.

Cons

Too much focus on talent retention rather than on delivery. I've seen managers hire less qualified candidates for roles because they were afraid the better candidates would not stay with the company for an extended period of time. Leads to a culture of mediocrity where top talent stagnates or leave the company and unproductive workers can stay in their roles indefinitely. Not a place for young and ambitious employees to grow and advance.

Advice to Management

Given Cigna's 200-year history as a risk-averse insurance company, it's important to be extra vigilant about relying too heavily on the "I've been doing it this way for 20 years" mentality if you want to meet the demands of a fast-changing environment.

Awesome company

Current Employee - Financial Analysis Senior Specialist in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Financial Analysis Senior Specialist in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Cigna full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Willing to out pay industry competitors for top tier talent. Work life balance highly embraced. Bonus plan for most levels. The company provides excellent tools for work at home employees.

Cons

The 401k plan match or the health insurance deductibles/premiums/hsa match could be a little better. Competitors have better plans. Be mindful of lower paid employees having plans that could set them up for failure.

Advice to Management

The company is headed in the right direction. Continue with your strategy and always be checking your benefit packages to make sure you are attracting and retaining the talent you need to keep this company on track to go to the next level.

Administrative Assistant

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Cigna

Pros

Medical Insurance / Dental Insurance / 401K / Paycheck

Cons

Working at Cigna was not a good experience. I never loved it there. When they went to Banding - as opposed to the salary grades the Administrative Assistant lost ground from the midpoint to the market value. Of course this benefited some - mostly the higher ups who were already making alot of money. The money is not good and the raise are lousy - maybe good year is 2.5% no more. Also, when you work as an AA, I had two situations where my managers kept adding in more and more people for me to support. This was done so he/she could appease the peers they had and the matrix partners. So essentially I was working for the same money - no compensation was given for the extra work, there was no reward for the extra support at the compensation time and it was a demoralizing feeling but I was being required to please more people and it couldn't be done all the time. Most middle managers - (maybe not all, but alot) - and this applied to the Band 4 and Band 5 managers have a strong sense of entitlement and feel superior - they can be rude and mean to those below them. I think this results from them making so much money and have an overestimated sense of importance. They get away with treating others like dirt because when push comes to shove the higher manager will tend to give then the benefit of the doubt and/or back them up. Alot of the time people go without reporting so saying anything about these managers who can be abusive because they know it will be futile. Insurance is o.k. but every year you are getting less and paying more for it.

Advice to Management

Maybe start valuing lower level employees and stop giving so much in salary and bonus to only the high ups. (Alot of them don't deserve it quite frankly). I don't know him personally but I understand from others that David Cordani is a very nice person - so nothing against him.

6. Cigna is a mature professional employer.

Current Employee - Systems Analysis Senior Specialist in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Systems Analysis Senior Specialist in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Cigna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Structured. Recruit above average IT talent. Healthy work life balance.

Cons

With a company so large, it can be easy to feel like a tiny fish in a big pond. Work with your manager to align your current work or education with your long term career goals.

7. Cigna is okay

Former Employee - Architect in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Architect in Hartford, CT

I worked at Cigna

Pros

Room for growth, tools to help career.

Cons

Home and work balance is very hard to accomplish with Cigna protocol.

Advice to Management

Increased pay or a hard line at 40 hours per week, not 50 to 60.

A Company that Cares about my Health and Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Cigna full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to Work at Home Ability to Work with Minimal Supervision Healthy Living Incentives Employer pays large percentage of insurance costs Great 401K Matching Sufficient PTO days Rewards for Performance

Cons

People with the most knowledge are overworked and may end up doing the work of multiple positions

Advice to Management

Do not penalize long term employees by cutting off PTO days accrual at 25 years

9. Rewarding but challenging

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I worked at Cigna full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are many opportunities, but you must seek them out for yourself. There can be rewards for above and beyond performance. There are many good people working here.

Cons

Expectations are high and getting higher. Know what you expect before you go in. Personal networking is key.

Advice to Management

Celebrate more successes.

Rewarding and beneficial to my work experience

Current Employee - Benefits in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Benefits in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Cigna full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A company that gives opportunity to growth. I have enjoyed the benefits of working for this company.

Cons

Company decisions and changes are not always a benefit to the employee which leads to dissatisfaction.

Advice to Management

Work more one on one with the employees to better understand everything they do on a day to day basis.

11. Opportunity rich environment

Current Employee - Architecture Manager in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Architecture Manager in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Cigna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Charismatic leadership signaling change with a directionally sound strategy. a lot of really smart folks learning how to be partners

Cons

Still has a hero culture and too many groups that hide behind process

Advice to Management

Learn to be servant leaders who can develop staff

RSS Feed </> Embed