www.cigna.com

Updated December 17, 2014
3.2

Cigna President and CEO David Cordani
David Cordani

Pros
  • Good training for employees work life balance is embraced by management (in 60 reviews)

• They provide very good training and I was lucky enough after a year to work from home (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is touted as important but not always a true priority (in 22 reviews)

• Terrible Health benefits (Extremely High Deductible health) (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Current Employee - Leave Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Leave Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Cigna

Pros

they are supportive, convenient, and invest in their people.

Cons

lower level management is not very communicative.

promotions

Overall, a great place to work!

Current Employee - Care Manager
    Current Employee - Care Manager

I have been working at Cigna full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-Healthcare benefits are flexible to meet the needs of the indvidual; you can choose HSA or HRA depending on your medical profile.
    -Educational and Continuing Education Benefits: Cigna is very supportive of expanding your knowledge through pursuing a degree program and they pay for licensure fees and continuing ed credits for licensure that is required for your job.
    -PTO is very adequate with the option to buy additional PTO days.
    -Promotional Opportunities: If you are a high performing employee with specific career goals your manager will help you achieve these goals.
    -Culture: Cigna has a great culture of wellness and 99% of employees are great to work with; generally, everyone is hapy to come to work (as happy as you can be).

Cons

-Internal Promotions: If you are an internal employee and you apply and are hired for a position that is a promotion (either via increase in your band level or market level) you are not compensated well; they cap your promotional raise at 5% even if your raise means you are making significantly less than your peers that were hired externally.

-My advice is more to HR and recruitment. When you give an internal employee a promotion please consider giving them an adequate pay raise so they are, at minimum, equal with their peers that moved into the role (even if it's not what those peers are making now based on their performance raises) so the performance raise system can be preserved. Often, what happens, is managers are forced to provide raises to low-paid internal staff to help them match what their external counter-parts were making at the time of their initial start date.

Great company !!

Current Employee - Eligibility Analyst Senior Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Eligibility Analyst Senior Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Cigna full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love my current role , mgrs are flexible and allow you to work from home in some instances , I receive training throughout the year for my role . Nice co workers .

Cons

At this time in my current role I don't have any. In other previous roles definately have had some . I am disappointed in the health benefits . Deductibles way to high , can't afford to go to the dr even with insurance . .

Try to do something regarding pay . People hired from the outside make more to start then current employees with 5+ years

Great!

Current Employee - Applications Development Specialist in Bloomfield, CT
    Current Employee - Applications Development Specialist in Bloomfield, CT

I have been working at Cigna full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many opportunities at the company and great culture

Cons

Location is not the most desirable.

Policies, policies, policies

I worked at Cigna full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free gym on site.

Cons

if you dont want a social life or be able to respond to family emergency situations, this is the place to work. They make it sound like rainbows and sunshine at first, but dont be fooled. You are given a good amount of vacation time off the bat, but have to buy the rest. if you ever call off, it comes out of your vacation time. 4-5 call offs in a rolling year, SEE ya. They dont care about employees emotional or physical health, the insurance is terrible given that the CEO is on the forbes list year after year. the management are all people who arent going anywhere else with their lives and cigna is the best they can do. stressful, uneventful, and uninteresting. youll also only get anywhere if you kiss butt at this company, its who you know, not what you know

give a crap about your employees. if your children are sick you get to run out the front door, if it happened to us, we had to phone around, find someone else, or be threatened with unemployment if we left. its sickening, and 99.9% of you are all the same. find some compassion.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Cigna full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Salary. Enjoyable co-workers. Nice location.

Cons

Constantly changing direction with layoffs. Very stressful company to work for. Excessive bureaucracy. Hiring process takes forever.

People are more productive when they are appreciated and not treated like a number.

Could be much better

I worked at Cigna full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The folks I worked with were terrific - a lot of talented people trying to do very good work

Cons

Management is terrible! In my 10-year tenure, I saw all the best employees either quit or get laid off so that their tasks could be outsourced to India. The folks that remain that are in management positions are grossly unqualified for the positions.

Ensure that those put into supervisory positions not only adhere to fair standards, but recognize and work to retain the best people. Due to poor management, a large number of talented individuals left and continue to leave - often without having another job. Absolutely terrible work environment that needs drastic improvement.

Senior Appeals Specialist

Former Employee - Business Appeals Specialist in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Business Appeals Specialist in Glendale, CA

I worked at Cigna

Pros

Good/decent benefits. Good PTO accrual, very laid back place to work with regards to dress code and hours.

Cons

Everything else. Management has changed style from hands off approach to micromanagaing down to the very minute what you do with your day. While hours are still very flexible, when logged in must account for, as stated previously, every minute of your day. Take too long to close a case? Why? Take too short to close a case? Why? Need more work?

Be PROACTIVE and not REACTIVE. Trust that your employees are doing their jobs without managing every minute of every day.

unprofressional

I worked at Cigna

Pros

the pay was decent and it is surrounded by great places to eat

Cons

the managers were rude and time off is scarce

be pleasant to employees and provide better training

Getting some experience and then getting out.

I have been working at Cigna full-time

Pros

It was easy to get in the door. It is a large company with many areas of opportunity.

Cons

This company has antiquated procesess and systems, uneducated and inexperienced employees, and little to no quality control.

Choose managers more wisely. The people in charge should know about the business they are managing. Better focus on quality of work and less favoritism would be better.