Cigna

Updated October 19, 2014
3.3

Cigna President and CEO David Cordani
David Cordani

Pros
  • Good training for employees work life balance is embraced by management (in 59 reviews)

• They provide very good training and I was lucky enough after a year to work from home (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is touted as important but not always a true priority (in 20 reviews)

• terrible health benefits everything related to metrics plus a lot of cronyism (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Cigna Intern

I worked at Cigna

Pros

Great experience, you get to see all parts of the company

Cons

None at all. Great company.

Clams processor and auditor

Former Employee - Claims Processor in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Claims Processor in Memphis, TN

I worked at Cigna full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They provide very good training and I was lucky enough after a year to work from home. They provided everything I needed such as my computer, internet connection, supplies and more. The medical benefits are much better than what I have now.

Cons

Unfortunately, all of the work at home processors got laid off in November but they did pay us through the end of December.

Great employment experience

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Cigna

Pros

I have so many pros. I received above minimum wage starting salary plus on top of that I received full health benefits and a 401k. The major pro I had was my supervisor Salli she was caring, compassionate, and incredibly understanding. If you had a family emergency she worked with you and helped you out with time off in a hard time. This is one of the most caring bosses I've ever had and helped push me in the most positive career moves. Another boss Melinda does the same gives great feedback to push you for the best quality and career results. Both of these supervisors put you in the best career direction. The company also does a lot to sore they appreciate you through free lunches, prize giveaways and just a positive environment.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard for position advancements such as to be a supervisor.

I don't have any advice mine the 4 years I was with them was 100% positive!

Great place to begin a career in IT

Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer Senior Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Cigna full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Entry level position begins as an associate in their Technical Early Career Development Program (TECDP) that extends the first 3 years of you career. The offer constant training and networking opportunities and expose you to a large existing network. The company overall is becoming more innovative and bringing their infrastructure closer to the cutting edge of technology so there is plenty of work to do.

Cons

Their IT department contains 4,000+ employees and consultants so most roles are very segmented to specific tasks or areas of responsibilities. It is very process heavy and requires multiple approvals to get things done. The teams are fairly efficient as a result of this structure, but it does prevent me from branching out into new technologies without the need to transfer teams.

It would be nice if teams had dedicated time set aside each week (maybe 2 hours) to focus on innovation and process improvement for their area. I see plenty of things that could be improved, however there isn't enough time in the day to accomplish them effectively and more formally.

Good Corporate Culture

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I worked at Cigna as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Working Culture here is good as people treat you like a family. Senior management team is willing to teach you and give advice to your career path

Cons

Work is kinda easy as an intern's perspectives. Team leader can give out more work and autonomy to the interns for them to be responsible for a particular projects

Awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Applications Development Specialist in Bloomfield, CT
    Current Employee - Applications Development Specialist in Bloomfield, CT

I have been working at Cigna (more than an year)

Pros

Becoming one of the most innovative health services company with a great direction. Not a stuffy environment at all.

Cons

While innovative, it can be difficult to advance certain innovative ideas but the environment is improving.

Great opportunity and people!

I worked at Cigna full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging and exciting work. Great co workers.

Cons

No cons as I enjoyed the experience.

N/A

Horrible

Current Employee - Claims Processor in Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Claims Processor in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Cigna full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Vacation days vacation days holidays

Cons

Long hours, pay raises are a joke! Work your butt off and no appreciation from upper management. The CEO, his base salary 12 million, must be nice. The four percent they are taking from our pay, increase in benefits. I dont understand how a customer with xyz company can pay almost zero every two weeks while the ceo gang rapes us with our insurance. The moral of the department im in, its do much tension, eyes down no talking or the nun will slap your fingers with a ruler. All the big wigs, take a paycut, shop at thrift store and get your food from a food bank. You are putting your employees in the poor house

All need to be fired! You all are money hungry selfish people. Look at the people who are keeping the company afloat

Cigna Response

Jun 9, 2014Talent Acquisition Lead

Cigna puts customers and employees first. As with any large organization, employees can have different perspectives. We seek out the best talent, offer competitive wages, and care about delivering a ... More

Treasury Manager

I have been working at Cigna

Pros

Good opportunities for people who really wants to advance their career

Cons

Under investment in IT and IT projects usually over promise led to users disappointment

Continue the GO GO GO strategy

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cigna full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of support, great managers, lots of resources to educate self, great health insurance plan, treat employees well

Cons

nothing really negative to say